Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

D800S

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · D800S

m.sommers00 wrote:
Why are folks so concerned about it not being made in Japan? D800 was made there and anything but perfect.

Agreed, it's not the country, it's the company and the manufacturing controls they put in place.

Jun 17, 2014 at 03:30 PM
lara_ckl
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · D800S

Nikon_14 wrote:
The "It's safe to buy it" date, 3-6 months after all the lemmings have pummeled each other for the privilege of being Sendai's Quality Assurance Dept.

"Safe to buy" date should, hopefully, coincide with "shows up at B&S" date.

Jun 17, 2014 at 03:49 PM
Lee Saxon
• • •
p.3 #3 · D800S

m.sommers00 wrote:
Why are folks so concerned about it not being made in Japan? D800 was made there and anything but perfect.

It has nothing to do with that (although the Japan stuff's quality is generally higher, though you're right not perfect, this may have more to do with materials choices than workmanship).

As I said, the issue is profit margin. Chips and ASICs and sensors go down in price over time as technology develop and yields improve. As much of that will likely be carried over for this fairly mild update, the D810 price should be a little lower even if it was built in Japan. But building in Thailand is WAY cheaper. Built in Thailand, the D810 should be noticeably cheaper. I think if someone leaked the numbers, you'd be amazed how much more profitable the D810 is.

Jun 17, 2014 at 06:14 PM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.3 #4 · D800S

Oh absolutely there are profits. But that's not what I care about. It was going to be minimum $3,000 anyways, and given that the D800E was even more it's not shocking.

If quality can be consistently top notch, I could care less where it's built. Americans love to use USA built as some benchmark but remember their cars in the 90's and early 2000's . Italy built is no longer posh. I was surprised to see my bedroom dresser from IKEA had a made in Italy sticker on it!

I just feel bad for the number of Japanese workers who will be laid off.

Jun 17, 2014 at 06:22 PM
jbonzo1

p.3 #5 · D800S

Nikon_14 wrote:
Besides the announcement date & "physical product available for purchase" date, there is actually a third date that is highly relevant:

The "It's safe to buy it" date, 3-6 months after all the lemmings have pummeled each other for the privilege of being Sendai's Quality Assurance Dept.

Yes!
I have never bought a SLR, film or digital, when it first came out. This goes back to 1983 when I started my career in Newspaper Photography. The initial release almost always had some bugs that needed fixing. The cost went down after a few months, too.
Now, when the paper bought the digital bodies when we switched from film, we all wanted them ASAP!

Jun 17, 2014 at 06:34 PM
CanadaMark
• •
p.3 #6 · D800S

Lee Saxon wrote:
It has nothing to do with that (although the Japan stuff's quality is generally higher, though you're right not perfect, this may have more to do with materials choices than workmanship).

As I said, the issue is profit margin. Chips and ASICs and sensors go down in price over time as technology develop and yields improve. As much of that will likely be carried over for this fairly mild update, the D810 price should be a little lower even if it was built in Japan. But building in Thailand is WAY cheaper. Built in Thailand, the D810 should be noticeably
...Show more

Can you link us to a credible source that shows Nikon profits specifically are "WAY" higher for the D8XX cameras when built in Thailand rather than Japan? I'm just curious as to where you're getting this information outside of a general assumption that things may be cheaper when built in Thailand than Japan. My understanding is also that Nikon has a number of Taiwanese and Chinese workers working in the Sendai plant, not that it matters.

Also why should the D810 be cheaper if they find a way to lower production cost and keep quality the same? As a company with shareholders, they should be selling it for whatever price the market will bear, regardless of production cost. That's just good business. Canon has been getting away with $3499 5DM3's for a while now and from a technical perspective it isn't worth anywhere near that, but Canon doesn't care (and nor should they) because people will pay that. I bet Canon's margin in the 5DM3 is WAY higher than a D8XX body as well with it's plastic frame and 6 year old sensor technology. Even if they are making $3000 profit on these $3500 bodies, why should they lower the price if people will pay it? It's perfectly fair and gives all the more money for R&D and exciting new products.

Jun 17, 2014 at 07:21 PM
snooked123
• • •
p.3 #7 · D800S

If it's not cheaper, why build a plant in Thailand? Build it in Japan .

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:44 AM
carlitos
• •
p.3 #8 · D800S

Well they built the "prototypes" (D800 & D800E) in Japan, now they can do their long production run in Thailand on a line set up for the D810. Thailand is cheaper than Japan, even if only in land values.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RoyC
• •
p.3 #9 · D800S

snooked123 wrote:

Earth quakes, tsunami and hurricanes come to mind.

Jun 18, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · D800S

blutch wrote:
...They [the D3s and D800] are "supposed" to be identical up to ISO 6400. They are not in real life working scenarios... at least for me.

No, they never were. Not even close unless you downsize the D800 images to D3s image size, but that's a pain in the work flow. The difference in DR is small at around ISO 400 and 800 but significant both sides of that ISO (D800 better at lower ISO and D3s better at higher ISO). Check out the graphs at DxO Mark - not just the numbers - for a useful comparison; you even get to see the ISO differences as well as the DR differences.

With a 1-stop improvement the D810 should match or slightly beat the D3s at high ISO without downsizing the images. With a bit of luck the ISO values will be more accurate too.

The tricky part always is weighing up the extra image details against the reduced DR at high ISO, and that is a judgement call. At low ISO the D800 images are easily and clearly the winners on both detail and DR.

- Alan

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:01 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.3 #11 · D800S

snooked123 wrote:

Maybe they did not want them to glow in the dark

- Alan

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:03 PM
redsoil02

Account locked
p.3 #12 · D800S

too many rumors.

Jun 25, 2014 at 08:33 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.3 #13 · D800S

How much better is the D3s sensor than the D3/D700 sensor at high ISO? The reason I ask is that my D800 is better than my D700 at high ISO

Jun 25, 2014 at 08:54 PM
CanadaMark
• •
p.3 #14 · D800S

pr4photos wrote:
How much better is the D3s sensor than the D3/D700 sensor at high ISO? The reason I ask is that my D800 is better than my D700 at high ISO

A solid full stop. Some people suggest it's more like 1.5-2 stops, but I'd say for most people it's one full stop, maybe a bit more.

Jun 25, 2014 at 09:01 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.3 #15 · D800S

pr4photos wrote:

After shooting many low-light weddings with a D3 and D3S side by side, my estimation is that they are 1.0-1.3 stops apart for noise, but 2 stops apart for high ISO color and dynamic range.

Jun 26, 2014 at 01:36 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password