Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

D800S

pookipichu
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D800S

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/06/08/nikon-d800e-replacement-to-be-announced-on-june-26th.aspx/#comments

Announcement coming soon. Hopefully this doesn't wind up being a big "meh". Didn't see an improvement in the files of the D4s vs. D4.

Jun 10, 2014 at 02:14 PM
CanadaMark
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · D800S

I don't think you'll see any significant improvements in RAW, that 36MP sensor remains the best money can buy at the consumer level. The Expeed 4a might improve JPEG processing though. If they somehow improve RAW performance further I will be very impressed - rumors are for one stop, but again I think that is JPEG.

The D4S AF is so good that a number of people will be upgrading just for that, if the rumor holds true. An extra FPS or two helps out immensely as well.

Given that the 5DM3 sold for $3499 and competes more closely to the D610, The D800S at even $3300 will be a bargain IMHO, even though that is quite a lot of money.

I still kind of wish the "S" model had the 24MP sensor and 8FPS to round things out a bit, but I think both Nikon and Canon are keeping the high FPS reserved for their $6,000 bodies at the moment.

Jun 10, 2014 at 07:29 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #3 · D800S

I can tell you that if the posted specs are even close I'll give on a go. Faster FPS, improved AF, those two alone are enough to grab my interest. I also like the GPS idea and who doesn't like another (potential) stop of ISO? People spend thousands to get lenses that are one stop faster after all.

Jun 10, 2014 at 07:45 PM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · D800S

Regarding High ISO there is significant room for improvement in High ISO DR/shadow noise, to bring it closer to the D4/Df's performance. If they accomplish that then it would achieve a subjective 1 stop High ISO improvement.

Jun 10, 2014 at 07:58 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #5 · D800S

The current D800 does show a significant amount of blue amp noise in the shadows when you go beyond ~6400 ISO. It's easily removed in post, but it would be nicer if it wasn't there at all.........

Frame rate-wise, I've not found the current spec limiting at all, and the AF on mine has been spectacular. I was shooting family wedding reception photos a few weeks ago at ISO 6400 - 12800, f/1.8 and 1/80 - 1/200. The only OOF shots were the ones my sister tried to take of me..... Couldn't get her head round BBF

Jun 10, 2014 at 08:28 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #6 · D800S

pookipichu wrote:
http://nikonrumors.com/2014/06/08/nikon-d800e-replacement-to-be-announced-on-june-26th.aspx/#comments

Announcement coming soon. Hopefully this doesn't wind up being a big "meh". Didn't see an improvement in the files of the D4s vs. D4.

probably not a huge improvement on IQ, but a bigger improvement on how the cam attains focus. that new AF system in the D4s looks remarkable and makes everything prior seem so yester-decade (still good though!) canon's flaghship AF system, from the internets, seem to be a step ahead of Nikon's CAM3500 or whatever was used prior.

Jun 10, 2014 at 08:42 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · D800S

As my hope wanes for a D400, this actually interests me...

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:44 PM
Achim Sieger

p.1 #8 · D800S

Beeing a landscape photographer I couldn't care less about frame rate and autofocus.
One shot per second is more than enough for me and I would be fine having live view autofocus only.

What's interesting for me is the 1stop better ISO performance but to be honest I don't expect that for RAW.
If Nikon would manage 1 stop in RAW they can take my money the same day they release the camera.

I like integrated GPS a lot as it would definitely help to organize the files by location or finding the spot for those who leave the beaten path.

What grabs my biggest attention is this one: New higher resolution LCD screen
What does it mean? Will Nikon also improve low light performance of the annoying live view and display the live image without scaling? Than the D800s would be a no brainer for me and my D800E would be for sale the same day...

Cheers
Achim

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:09 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #9 · D800S

gfinlayson wrote:
The current D800 does show a significant amount of blue amp noise in the shadows when you go beyond ~6400 ISO. It's easily removed in post, but it would be nicer if it wasn't there at all.........

I believe this is the main part that impairs file flexibility and dynamic range at high ISOs. It affects every camera to-date that I have seen, with the ones least affected being the 1dx, Df and D4s (based on examples I've viewed). The D4 had it about a stop worse than the 1dx, the Df controls it as well as or better than the D4s based on my visual comparison of test results, and the 1dx and D4s are right about the same now.

The D4's high ISO was worse than the 1dx, that's probably one reason why the D4s was released, to match the 1dx in critical high ISO comparisons.

D800s would be very nice if it reduces the amp glow. It would compete better with the 5d3 then (which is pretty much only better in high ISO performance because it has 1-2 stops less amp glow visibility).

A good silent shutter mode would be nice too.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:10 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · D800S

I find the current D800 to be basically perfect for me (which obviously isn't good for Nikon's camera sales). I might consider an upgrade if Nikon introduced focus peaking (unlikely) or made it easier to check critical focus when zoomed into live view. Otherwise, I find the D800 to be the best camera Nikon has ever made (at least for me).

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

bocajrs

p.1 #11 · D800S

Arka wrote:
I find the current D800 to be basically perfect for me (which obviously isn't good for Nikon's camera sales). I might consider an upgrade if Nikon introduced focus peaking (unlikely) or made it easier to check critical focus when zoomed into live view. Otherwise, I find the D800 to be the best camera Nikon has ever made (at least for me).

+1 - I enjoy using my D800 as well - I sent mine for cleaning and checkup 2 months ago and came back with clean bill of health.

Good to go shooting with this beast for many years to come

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:05 AM
Lance B
• • •
p.1 #12 · D800S

Having tried a D4s, a D800s with the same AF ability as the D4s means I'm in boots and all. My d800E is excellent now, but with the AF ability of the D4s it would be stunning!

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:40 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · D800S

gfinlayson wrote:
D800 does show a significant amount of blue amp noise in the shadows when you go beyond ~6400 ISO. It's easily removed in post

What are you doing to remove it?

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:16 AM
snapsy
• • • •
p.1 #14 · D800S

D. Diggler wrote:
What are you doing to remove it?

The best method is to do raw-based dark frame subtraction (such as in RawTherapee). A less effective method is post-demosaic frame subtraction (Photoshop). An even less effective method is to adjust the shadow tint slider in LR/PS.

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:28 AM
m.sommers00
• • •
p.1 #15 · D800S

I wasn't terribly on board with upgrading but if they can perfect what live view should have been, plus the one stop increase which I just learned reading this thread, I might actually consider this upgrade. The AF would be great too but I don't know how great it will actually be over the current D800.

What was the proposed FPS w/ grip?

Problem is this would probably cost $1,300+ CDN to upgrade which is a new lens or flight to somewhere interesting to take photos of!

Tough call at this point.

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:38 AM
nburwell
• • • •
p.1 #16 · D800S

Arka wrote:

I have to agree here. The D800S would have to be a significant upgrade from the D800 for me to consider purchasing it. I'm a landscape photographer, so FPS and AF are meaningless to me. A better LV would sort of make me consider an upgrade, but I wouldn't be completely sold.

Right now, I'm more concerned about shooting with the gear I currently have. Not what is on the horizon.

-Nick

Jun 11, 2014 at 02:35 PM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #17 · D800S

Why cant we just get a semi-pro body with the same sensor as the D4 (not even D4s), and same AF?? Just like the D700 was to the D3....36mp and a crippled sRAW system doesn't interest me in the least...

Nikon is being run by a bunch of idiots lately.

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:24 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #18 · D800S

I've been holding off on the D800 mainly because of the live view issues. If they fix that, I'm in.

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:04 PM
Steve Park
• • •
p.1 #19 · D800S

Steve Perry wrote:
I can tell you that if the posted specs are even close I'll give on a go. Faster FPS, improved AF, those two alone are enough to grab my interest. I also like the GPS idea and who doesn't like another (potential) stop of ISO? People spend thousands to get lenses that are one stop faster after all.

+1

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:04 PM
CanadaMark
• •
p.1 #20 · D800S

NathanHamler wrote:
Why cant we just get a semi-pro body with the same sensor as the D4 (not even D4s), and same AF?? Just like the D700 was to the D3....36mp and a crippled sRAW system doesn't interest me in the least...

Nikon is being run by a bunch of idiots lately.

Because those bodies cannibalize too many 'pro' body sales. If there was a camera with the D4S sensor, AF, and 8FPS in a D800 body, they would sell far less D4S'.

That is what happened with the D700/D3. There wasn't much need for the D3 when a D700 with grip was 90% the same from a performance perspective, at less than half the price. Customers loved it, obviously, but it isn't as good for business. At the end of the day Nikon just wants to make money like any other company, and I'm guessing they have ran the numbers and found it to be more profitable to not have a camera that cannibalizes their D4(s) sales, rather than offer a "cheap" D4S at less than half the price and 90% the performance.

Obviously many people would love a camera like you describe, but for whatever reason Nikon has likely determined it is not as profitable to go that route.

If you don't like sRAW shoot 12 bit compressed RAW to lower the file size a bit. Storage is dirt cheap and computers that can rip through D800 RAW files are inexpensive these days, so I don't think even a true small RAW would be overly popular.

Personally, I think they have a very nicely rounded lineup with the D7100, D610, D800, and D4S. Something for everyone, and all top of their class.

My ideal camera would be a D610 sensor in a D800 body with 8-10 FPS and the D4S AF system. It would own the market. Sell them for $2999 and call it a day. I'm sure Nikon could build one with ease - but it would cannibalize D610 and D4S sales like crazy which is likely why we don't see something like that.

I'm pretty sure I will end up with a D800S, or whatever they call it, it's pretty close to everything I could ever want.

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:17 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password