Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

NC Mountain Area

Mark McAmish
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · NC Mountain Area

Hi, driving in from St. Louis. What is the best scenic route, overlooks, waterfalls, etc. Staying in Blowing Rock.
Thanks,
Mark

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:57 AM
JimKied
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · NC Mountain Area

I'm more familiar with the GSMNP and Brevard areas and don't know how far you plan to travel once there. You might want to PM NCAndy or one of the other members from that area. They will be able to help you better than I.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · NC Mountain Area

Blowing Rock is about a three hour drive from me. I'm not as familiar with that area. I'd check out Linville Falls off the Blue Ridge Parkway for sure. Then there is Grandfather Mountain, a fee based private park off the BRP and Mt Mitchel State Park more towards Asheville. So, the Blue Ridge Parkway is about the extent of my knowledge I guess.

Hopefully someone that knows more about the area will chime in. BTW the rhodos, flame azalea and laurel are in bloom now. You might check out Roan Mountain in Tn. also.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Mark McAmish
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · NC Mountain Area

Thanks for the info !

Jun 10, 2014 at 02:06 PM
robn70

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · NC Mountain Area

I would check for anything along the Blue Ridge parkway between that area and up into Virginia. I'm more familiar with what's in VA as I'm about 10 mins from the Parkway.

Jun 10, 2014 at 08:41 PM
Mark McAmish
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · NC Mountain Area

Thanks

Jun 11, 2014 at 02:26 PM
Mickeymoose

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · NC Mountain Area

Hey Mark,

I go up on that part of the Parkway all the time and know the area well. Either direction on the Parkway is great but if you travel towards Asheville the mountains are higher and IMO more spectacular. Going that direction also takes you to Mt Mitchell the highest point east of the Mississippi although many of the trees are down due to fires 10-20 years ago. No matter how hot it is elsewhere it will be cool up there.

Linville Falls and Linville Caverns are both nice but go on weekdays. Boone is a college town and hard to get around in due to traffic unless you know it well.

If you go the other direction on the Parkway Moses Cone house on the Parkway is a nice stop. There are plenty of wildlife seen on the Parkway especially near the dusk and dawn hours. Down towards the Smoky Mountain end we've even seen Elk and on very rare occasions, bears.

If you're hikers there are plenty of short hiking trails off the Parkway.

Grandfather Mountain is also close but I view it as a tourist trap though the views are very nice. However the Parkway has many, many overlook!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mike

Jun 21, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark McAmish
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · NC Mountain Area

Thanks Mike !

Jun 21, 2014 at 08:58 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · NC Mountain Area

The Asheville area is wondeful and plenty of photo ops. The Biltmore estate is wonderful with wonderful gardens, conservatory, tours and very scenic views of the mountains from the back.

As stated, G'father Mtn, plus many other areas that are well worth the trip if have time.
There are many fine mountain excursions just off the Interstate out of Tenn into NC.

Have fun!
Dan

Jun 22, 2014 at 03:04 PM
Mickeymoose

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · NC Mountain Area

Hey Mark,

Dan was right, Biltmore Estates are very nice. Beautiful gardens but less so after spring, the Winery is neat, the Castle is also nice. But it all comes at a heavy entrance fee. I think it's near $50 these days.

If you don't mind the drive Jim commented about the Brevard area. There are over 100 waterfalls in the area. It's where the movie Last of the Mohicans was filmed about 7 or 8 years ago. very nice area!!!

Mike

Jun 27, 2014 at 06:33 PM
Mark McAmish
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · NC Mountain Area

Thanks for all the info.

Jun 30, 2014 at 01:42 AM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · NC Mountain Area

Mickeymoose wrote:
Hey Mark,

Dan was right, Biltmore Estates are very nice. Beautiful gardens but less so after spring, the Winery is neat, the Castle is also nice. But it all comes at a heavy entrance fee. I think it's near $50 these days.

If you don't mind the drive Jim commented about the Brevard area. There are over 100 waterfalls in the area. It's where the movie Last of the Mohicans was filmed about 7 or 8 years ago. very nice area!!!

Mike

I love the Brevard area and the DuPont State Forest, with numerous waterfalls, is where Last of The Mohicans was filmed...in 1992.

Jul 02, 2014 at 11:56 AM
mikekeating

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · NC Mountain Area

Hi Mark,

Have you left yet? The Blue Ridge Parkway is full of great parks, waterfalls, trails and lakes. The downside is that it is a two lane road and anywhere from 35-45mph the entire way. And cops pretty much live on it.

Here is a link to some of the waterfalls in WNC.
http://www.romanticasheville.com/roaring_fork_falls.htm

Ignore the name of the site, it actually has some good info.

There is also this site which is good:
http://www.hikewnc.info/trailheads/pisgah-national-forest/grandfather-ranger-district/catawba-falls/

Chimney Rock, Grandfather Mountain, Lake Lure, and Linville Gorge are all excellent as well.

Jul 24, 2014 at 05:12 PM
Mark McAmish
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · NC Mountain Area

HI Mike,

Yes I was there in June and hit the spots you had suggested. Beautiful area and plenty of falls to shoot.

Thanks for the info and I saved it for a return trip.

Jul 27, 2014 at 03:09 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password