p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Amped up knife

Per request

Bob

Jun 09, 2014 at 07:29 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Amped up knife

This is pretty neat, the processing and the subject, his hands are as much of the story as the knife. For me the other composition was stronger and I can't say why.

Jun 09, 2014 at 07:45 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Amped up knife

Nice display of the character of the knife and hands. Working against it is the oblique angle of the hands/knife. The roughly horizontal knife and the unfortunate background cluttering the lines of the knife.

Consider:

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:18 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Amped up knife

ben egbert wrote:
This is pretty neat, the processing and the subject, his hands are as much of the story as the knife. For me the other composition was stronger and I can't say why.

Thanks Ben,

See AuntiPode's rework below.

Difference between my first image and this is the geometry of lines and angles. I much, much prefer the simple diagonal in the first compared to the horizontal position of the knife in the second. To me, the horizontal position clips the balance of the image, leaving the eye wanting more but unable to get there. Rigid, highly structured, with no room for visual movement compared to the first.

Interestingly, Karen's rotation and re-positioning the knife, to me, improves the image immensely by producing a more enjoyable viewing aesthetic. Notice the knife and hands now intersect and divide the frame into two major triangles plus the knife generally defines a major diagonal.

Too, simplifying the background improves.

Anyway, my thoughts...

Bob

Jun 10, 2014 at 07:45 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Amped up knife

AuntiPode wrote:
Nice display of the character of the knife and hands. Working against it is the oblique angle of the hands/knife. The roughly horizontal knife and the unfortunate background cluttering the lines of the knife.

Consider:

Absolutely.

I ignored this image for the first as explained above. I need to take your cue and reprocess...the harshness does not appeal to me but the goal was illustrating the layers of metal in the blade....none of which I ever realized until Kent's posting additional information.

Thanks, great improvement.

Bob

Jun 10, 2014 at 07:53 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.