Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

jbsf

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

Wondered if anyone has recommendations and experiences using laser distance meters [outdoors particularly] for helping with optimizing DOF? I came across this article [written from perspective of movie maker] which made me curious about using such devices to help with DOF accuracy, I don't want a measuring tape !

The challenge with many of the devices designed with a skew towards indoor construction is the laser visibility outdoors, I'd want something for measuring say from 4ft-150ft, I think golfers use laser rangefinders but their capabilities begin around 10yds+ and in yard increments mostly from what I've read.

http://www.theblackandblue.com/2011/02/02/going-the-distance-knowing-which-measuring-tool-is-best-to-get-focus-marks/

Jun 09, 2014 at 12:00 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

mine is designed for outdoor and indoor usage.

Jun 09, 2014 at 02:34 PM
jbsf

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

ok..
Care to share what you have?

Jun 09, 2014 at 08:40 PM
SHVv
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

I have a Leica Disto 5 which works well outside, I think that there is a newer model available.

Steve

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:13 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

Leica Disto D8.
325ft range w/o a target plate.

i use it for other work too.

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:40 PM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

The Disto D5 is the lowest price unit that will work outdoors - approx $500

Jun 13, 2014 at 08:24 AM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

I have the Disto E7500i (replaces the D5). which has the point finder view screen. Worth the extra $100 in my book.

Jun 14, 2014 at 05:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

schlotz wrote:
The Disto D5 is the lowest price unit that will work outdoors - approx $500

And?

Jun 14, 2014 at 06:07 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

I had one some years ago for focusing the "mountain" 210/8 lens on the Mamiya M7. How exactly are you planning to use it with a DSLR? I find that Live View on modern bodies is sufficient.

EBH

Jun 14, 2014 at 06:21 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

I have a PLS that is usable outdoors (1) if you can see the dot and (2) there is a laser viewing window for outdoor use.

I use it mostly indoors for construction stuff.

When I have used it outdoors and using the window for watching the laser dot, tracking the dot isn't what I would call "easy" and I bet very steady hands would be required over ~70' or so. That said, professional laser distance tools have (1) a brighter dot and (2) work over longer distances. I also have a much less expensive Bosch, same one that is available at the big box stores, that won't measure over ~60' (the PLS is good to 600' and accurate to +/- 1/16").

I've had mine for a long time, over 10 years and it was over $500 then. It has Leica optics. I don't know if newer models are any easier to use outdoors. A green laser model might be worth looking into (well, not literally ).

Jun 15, 2014 at 05:42 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

230 feet range. Lots less than $500. Then again, it doesn't have the Leica name on it, nor is it aimed at photogs.
http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/hand-tools/measuring-layout-tools/230-laser-distance-measure/p-1739207-c-9149.htm

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:55 PM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

I'd like to see if that one actually works out to the claimed distance, outdoors.

One problem is being able to see the laser dot, and it can be lost well before 200'. Viewing a laser dot at that distance indoors is not a problem.

Jun 18, 2014 at 05:25 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

I couldn't make out a laser dot at 20 feet, but I am sure the tool has far better sight than I do. At least for laser, that is.

Jun 20, 2014 at 03:06 PM
fishjump
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

The Disto E7500i (and several other Leica's) has a viewfinder and sight for when you cannot see the laser dot............

Jun 20, 2014 at 05:51 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

Could work, but I think at typical landscape distances, one can just estimate the hyperfocal and be fine.

heck, "f8 and be there" usually gets the job done

Jul 01, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

I've got the Disto.
I've used it every day for years.
It is beaten to hell and is 100% accurate.

For use outside you need one with the little viewfinder otherwise it is very difficult (often impossible) to see the red dot.

Everyone in the film industry used to use the Leica Disto but now most people are using the Hilti because they read a little faster, are smaller and have much better warranty support.

There is also a Disto now with a video viewfinder that is OK too, but more expensive.

Jul 03, 2014 at 09:41 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

Many L lenses give the shooting distance in the EXIF (upto 100m I believe). Not all readers show it but advanced readers like this free online reader does: http://regex.info/exif.cgi

Flickr now shows distance in their EXIF if the lens supported it.

Jul 05, 2014 at 05:56 PM
wilt
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

Andrew J wrote:
Many L lenses give the shooting distance in the EXIF (upto 100m I believe). Not all readers show it but advanced readers like this free online reader does: http://regex.info/exif.cgi

Flickr now shows distance in their EXIF if the lens supported it.

Yes, but look how horrible the resolution of reported distances can be, as I determined!

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?p=16743446#post16743446

Jul 07, 2014 at 08:40 AM
martin73

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

The Disto E7500i is even better than the D5. This review demonstrates not only the E7500i but also the app for measuring.

Feb 22, 2015 at 04:33 PM
Wobble
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Laser distance measurements/Rangefinders for DOF calculation?

I have a Bosch GLM40 available from Home Depot for $79 accurate to 140 feet outdoors. Had not considered using it for DOF...

Feb 23, 2015 at 11:53 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.