New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Patterns one

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Patterns one

Many of you post images that consist of shapes or patterns. I don't have a clue how to do this so I had an idea for one using aspen trees that I will submit later. But I found this before I found a suitable stand of aspen and decided it might work.

What I want to know is the purpose of such images, what to look for and so on. I am too much of a hermit for street stuff so I would probably look for stuff in nature, but it seems it ought to work. Maybe no, and if not, that is good to know as well.

Jun 08, 2014 at 07:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Patterns one

I think the point of patterns (in general) is that it gives us something to ponder/consider and to recognize that the shooter "saw something" that he/she is presenting. From mirror images to Fibonacci to repeating scale to , there tends to be a natural draw to patterns that resonates with folks on different levels.

Architectural design sometimes strives to harness this as well for invoking variant resonance. I didn't get a chance for the shot, but I saw a really cool train bridge with patterned arches the other day ... just kinda called for me to want to explore it more.

Maybe the simplest perspective of pattern interest is how people can be intrigued by snowflakes or kaleidoscopes. While our patterns may not be as complex (often very simple) as snowflakes or kaleidoscopes ... I think the draw is similarly rooted in the underlying precision (engineer hat) of repetition or scale, whether it be man made or natural, like the ripples in a pond or any of numerous other entities.

Jun 08, 2014 at 11:08 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Patterns one

Thanks for the explanation. Mine does not have a pattern so much as a series of random orange lichen. I liked the curve of the tree trunk. Probably a better macro subject but I don't have macro gear. In fact I had to hand hold this because there was no place for my tripod.

I once studied fractals and wrote some programs to watch the patterns grow on my monitor.

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:42 AM
Healey
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Patterns one

Hi Ben,

You have been posing many questions about composition. Have you considered drawing? You needn't draw well. Just play in the 2D world directly.

I always see patterns in everything including the landscapes you have posted. This is my mathematical background. I cannot help but see patterns. I doodle all the time, and I doodle different patterns depending on my mood.

Maybe a drawing class might help strengthen you understanding of composition in general. Photography is taking a three dimensional world and transferring into 2D. So it makes composition more complex by that one degree. You cannot work straight from a 2D image like you could if you are only using your imagination to draw patterns.

Just a thought

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:44 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Patterns one

Healey wrote:
Hi Ben,

You have been posing many questions about composition. Have you considered drawing? You needn't draw well. Just play in the 2D world directly.

I always see patterns in everything including the landscapes you have posted. This is my mathematical background. I cannot help but see patterns. I doodle all the time, and I doodle different patterns depending on my mood.

Maybe a drawing class might help strengthen you understanding of composition in general. Photography is taking a three dimensional world and transferring into 2D. So it makes composition more complex by that one degree. You cannot work straight from a 2D
...Show more

Well I took a class in illustration, back around 1959. Then I spent the next 45 years first as a drafter and then as a design engineer. I can draw pretty well in terms of making something look like it is. But thats not the same as composition. In fact my drawings were always orthogonal or in later years some computer generated perspectives.

I draw cartoons to illustrate stories I write for my grandkids.

A drawing class (if I could stand being around people) might teach me composition. Of I might be able to make some images, post them here and get critique.

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:56 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Patterns one

My .02 @ drawing:
"draw the eye" ... relative to the desired/intended message.

Just use your visual cues @ leading lines, shape, tonal values, hue, scale, mass, symmetry, contrast, focus, motion, blur, etc. to draw the viewer to where you want them to go in order for them to receive your intended message.

From the dictionary:
pull or drag (something such as a vehicle) so as to make it follow behind.

"draw" your viewers eye ... i.e. get them to follow where you lead them.

Bob's knifemaker hands ... how can we possibly escape being drawn to see them and the lines of character they contain?

Jun 09, 2014 at 08:12 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Patterns one

I was trying to isolate the subject by tight focus, the tree leading from the lower right corner and oof background.

The subject was the lichen on the tree. Anyway thats what caught my eye as I walked by.

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:55 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Patterns one

ben egbert wrote:
A drawing class (if I could stand being around people) might teach me composition. Of I might be able to make some images, post them here and get critique.

It almost certainly would. Barring that, there's a fantastic book called Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards. Most drawing classes are based on the same principals that are taught in the book. You won't get quite the same benefits using the book as you might in a class, but it's about as close as you'll get otherwise.

Another great book that focuses more on composition is Picture This: How Pictures Work by Molly Bang.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Patterns one

Thanks, I will check them out.

Jun 10, 2014 at 08:41 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.