Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

scottmti
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

Hello
Recently I sold off my x100s and couple of Nikon lens.
I've got a around $2100.
I had intention of getting a Sony A7 and I started to browse through more choices and I am keep stopping at Fuji X-T1.
Nice looking camera with decent kit lens ($1400 used locally). I did enjoy Fuji X100s but slow focusing was a problem and no zoom option was reason for sale. Kit lens would be ideal for light travel.
I'm not sure about Sony A7 focusing speed but I just like the full frame idea on small pkg. Sony A7 with kit lens is about similar price used. I also was thinking about just getting p&s. I heard Rx100 III is coming out and lens with 1.8 to 2.8 has intrigue me. RX100 II with 4.9 kind a drove me off. I heard great review on that also.
Maybe I just get a Nikon zoom like 80-200mm or 70-200. I don't want to spend all my money on one item. I do need a carry around camera to replace x100s.
Here is gear I have D600, Nikon 24-120mm f4, 50mm 1.8g and 105mm 2.5.
I know I need a wide prime but I had 24mm 2.8 but I notice I rarely use it since I take most kids performance and travel photos. So many choices it is taking too much of my time browsing.
Any suggestion?

thanks
Scott

Jun 08, 2014 at 12:16 PM
frezeiss
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

XE-2 and 18-55 maybe? I have the XT-1 and its quite a joy to use, but I hear the XE-2 have similar focus capabilities to the XT-1 so it makes more sense to buy XE-2 for secondary camera. The Sony A7 I notice was quite similar to XT-1 re focus speed (own both) but maybe, the XT-1 was more accurate.

Buying the A7 is like opening a new can of GAS, first the kit lens and then you want your self a small prime, fast prime, etc. Rediscovering legacy lenses such as FD & Minolta were also fun on the Sony, the next thing you know you got a small army dedicated to the A7. The D600 will feel redundant by the time, so...

Jun 08, 2014 at 12:38 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

I'd wait for the X-T1s if possible. A 24mpx version of X-Trans will help alleviate many of it's shortcomings.

IMO, the only reason to get the A7 is if you have 35mm and up RF FF lenses you want to use or if you want to use the FE 55mm F1.8. A seriously stupendous lens for it's size.

Otherwise, there are better options out there. I say that as a A7 and FE 55mm F1.8 owner.

Jun 08, 2014 at 12:49 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

Tough choice, but honestly the X-T1 has "it" when it comes to native choices at the moment. I have both rigs but probably will sell the XT1 setup, as I like the A7's IQ more.

Not to say the XT1 is a slouch, it's not, and IMO handles a heck of a lot better than the A7.

But I'm a tinkerer more than a photographer, and I think I like screwing around with old lenses in their native format (i.e. not a speed booster or cropped), so I think I'll keep the A7, despite all its flaws.

Jun 08, 2014 at 01:19 PM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

Both great camera's overall, no real "bad" choices

Fuji does have more native glass at the moment, but Sony should soon have a 16-35, along with their already excellent 35 and 55 primes, plus the 70-200/4.

Sony also works great with a ton of adapted MF glass like Olympus OM et al

Jun 08, 2014 at 03:17 PM
Stavsf
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

The A7 is gorgeous, but unless you absolutely need FF and high ISO, it's overkill. You may want to check out the A6000 (I'm probably downgrading to one from an A7r -- I also switched from a D600 and it was a nice upgrade). The lens selection on the A7 is flat out annoying (especially given the price), but there are many more options for the APS-C version -- including the current two-for-one on the 12mm f/2.8 and 32mm 1.8 Zeiss lenses. I don't know enough about the X-T1 to comment, but I'm personally opting for the A6000 due to its slightly smaller size -- with the 16-50 it doubles as an actual pocket camera.

Jun 08, 2014 at 06:18 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

I've only had the chance to shoot with the a7 for 2 days now but I like what I see so far. My first mirrorless camera was the NEX6 so the Sony flaws aren't a huge deal breaker for me. I had the X-T1 for about a month when it was released and I firmly went into it thinking that it would do it for me but there was something just not there for me. Maybe I was just used to using front/rear dials to control my exposure that the appeal and functionality of having manual dials didn't fit my shooting style. Also the Fuji still had a slight delay from hitting the shutter to taking the next exposure when in single shooting.

It seems like you're being pulled in a lot of different directions which most of us with GAS know all about. I still have an RX100M3 on order which I will use in conjunction with the a7.

Jun 08, 2014 at 06:45 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

A7 without a doubt. Both the Fuji and the A7 render beautiful images. But the full frame has its advantages including the use of the ZA lenses which would give you a totally different DOF on a full frame vs an APSC sensor.

I actually have quite a few sony's now and find it hard going back to anything else. I even have two A7's for sale in B&S at a great price. One is new one is like new.

Jun 08, 2014 at 07:23 PM
scottmti
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

Thanks for good advices
I am leaning toward getting a 70-200mm f/4 and RX100 III when it comes out. This combo should come out around 2K. My budget.
I figure I can use RX100 for family travel and not take DSLR with me. Much smaller and wifey can take some photos with it also. I went to Samy's today and play around with Fuji X-T1 and Sony A7, did not notice and difference in speed wise but they felt very nice. Focusing could be faster, maybe it's a EVF thingy but just didn't feel responsive. Maybe I am asking too much from mirror less camera. Store clerk was pushing OMD and EM-1 for speed but M3/4 sensor seems going backward compare to APS-C sensor. I know RX100 sensor is smaller but that's a P&S without investing more on lens. Hope to read some user review on RX100 III when it comes out.
So far I am shopping for 70-200mm f/4.
Anyone selling it around Los Angeles area? I don't have paypal account, it's a cash and face to face deal.
Give me a ring if you have one ..
Thanks
Scott
[email protected]

Jun 09, 2014 at 04:18 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

Light travel,focusing speed, and lots of lenses....MFT.

Jun 09, 2014 at 07:32 PM
nehemiahphoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

I have been shooting the A7 (usually a FF shooter). It's been pretty underwhelming IMO. Sluggish AF, poor native lens selection as of now, and the 24-70 is a dud. The 55 is superb. The 35 2.8 seems to expensive for what it is. The XE-2 and XT-1 aren't as good in IQ, but they are extremely usable, much more refined, and have wonderful, small/fast/light native lenses. I hope in a couple years Sony FE matures well, then I'll revisit.

Jun 09, 2014 at 07:45 PM
bluecat8

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

I have the same dilemma right now. I'd buy the A7, as theoretically is better in low light, but...anyone read this article: http://admiringlight.com/blog/sony-a7-vs-fujifilm-x-e2-raw-noise-performance/ ?

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:33 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

bluecat8 wrote:
I have the same dilemma right now. I'd buy the A7, as theoretically is better in low light, but...anyone read this article: http://admiringlight.com/blog/sony-a7-vs-fujifilm-x-e2-raw-noise-performance/ ?

I don't think a picture of a picture is a good way to judge ISO performance, the sampling rate available from the source is too low. I think a real scene maybe an outdoor night or milky way shot would have shown just how much more noise or detail loss there is.

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:38 AM
bluecat8

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

You may be right, but...I hoped that A7 would comfortably lead at high ISO, but it seems that it may not be the case...

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:40 AM
millsart
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

bluecat8 wrote:
You may be right, but...I hoped that A7 would comfortably lead at high ISO, but it seems that it may not be the case...

A7 is fine and good at high ISO, but hardly revolutionary, and though FF, doesn't come close to something like a D4.

Realistically though, how often do most people shoot at iso6400 and above ? For me, its a small portion of the time, as typically my family, walking around etc type shots I use the camera for are in decent light. Family doesn't really tend to be out at 2am in dark alley's lol

Jun 10, 2014 at 11:43 AM
bluecat8

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

It depends on everyone's needs. I would need it for weddings, concerts, etc.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:54 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

FlyPenFly wrote:
I don't think a picture of a picture is a good way to judge ISO performance, the sampling rate available from the source is too low. I think a real scene maybe an outdoor night or milky way shot would have shown just how much more noise or detail loss there is.

I would have loved to have done some milky way shots when I did that test. Unfortunately, it was the middle of winter and I live about 2 hours from areas without light pollution, meaning I would have had to drive for hours just to freeze my rear end off...sometimes I'm up for that, but since I fit my reviewing periods around my regular job, it makes it hard to do in many cases.

The 'picture of a picture' shouldn't pose any issues, though...the full picture is of my bookshelf, with the crop coming from one book (that happens to still not be detail limited on these shots...go in close and you can see the dots from the printing....though at these magnifications that's not possible.) Aside from that, it shouldn't affect noise performance. I may agree with you if this was a pure detail test.

In any case, I do wish I'd done a few more different tests under different circumstances, though this test was done in an area where the light isn't great, and so provides situations one would regularly encounter in dim indoor light.

Overall, I found the A7 to be quite good in low light, though not remarkably better than my Fuji cameras (probably a smidge better in several circumstances, but nothing major). At least with RAW. I did notice that C1 Pro does a really nice job with their NR algorithm on the A7 shots...producing really clean images...better than LR. The A7 does have better RAW image quality over the Fuji bodies...more detail, slightly better noise control (though pretty close) and better dynamic range. If you really want the ultimate in image quality, the A7 will do a better job, though I don't think the differences are enormous.

On the JPEG front, on the other hand, the Fuji cameras are significantly better. At least as of the A7 when released, the JPEG engine Sony uses is absolutely atrocious. (I notice it on my NEX-6 too...files look fine at 1600 and 3200 in RAW, but the JPEG previews at these ISO are so bad that I can't even judge focus on them).

FWIW, I don't think you can really go wrong with either. The A7 is a great camera, with outstanding RAW image quality and the few FE lenses released are all quite good. On the down side, the lens lineup is very limited for native lenses, and the Fuji lens lineup is absolutely stellar, and covers almost everything at this point, at least from an enthusiast POV (they are somewhat lacking in inexpensive consumer grade lenses). I personally love the Fuji controls and really love the interface, so for me, I'd take (and I did) the X-T1 hands down, but the A7 is the best Sony body I've used, and is really outstanding aside from JPEG quality. If you have a chance to handle them, that may push you one way or another, since they are very different in use, and everyone's preferences for these cameras is a bit different.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM
bluecat8

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

Jman13, after RAW conversion with your favourite softwares, the gap in low light performance increases in A7's favour, or remain the same?

Jun 11, 2014 at 05:38 AM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

Well, it depends on what you mean. In Lightroom, the gap is exactly what you see in the test. In C1, the A7 takes a bit more of a lead, simply because the NR algorithm in C1 seems to do a nicer job of preserving detail with bayer files. In JPEG, the X-T1 is better.

Honestly, I think it's best to choose between these cameras based on which camera feels better to you in the hand and operation, as well as consideration of the lens systems vs. what you like to shoot.

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:52 AM
bluecat8

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sony A7 or Fuji X-T1 or else?

Lightroom I heard is awful handling the X-trans RAWs... Did you try Photo Ninja or Irident with it?

Jun 11, 2014 at 08:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.