Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Scott Stoness
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Well its been a long while. I have been very busy at work and injured (partially torn hamstring that makes it hard to sit or walk or lie down but its almost good now).

I went out looking for bears this morning.

Here are my best pictures from the morning.

Comments and feedback are appreciated. Scott

1-4 of 7

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/200s    12800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/320s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/320s    2500 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/250s    1250 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:44 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

5-7 of 7

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/250s    1600 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/250s    1000 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF600mm f/4L IS II USM lens    600mm    f/4.0    1/320s    1000 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:45 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

images # 7 is my favorite is all.

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:49 AM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

It's great to see your work again Scott. I hope full recovery is very soon for you. Super BB shots here, well done
David

Jun 08, 2014 at 11:10 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Hi Scott! Great shots!

And coincidentally, I saw my first black bear in two years yesterday. Looked like yours, could have been the brother, only scrawnier. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the great photos you do when I find them. No luck though.

Jun 08, 2014 at 11:38 AM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Sorry to learn of your injury Scott, hope you're 100% soon. Great set of Mum and cubs, very enjoyable to see. Excellent coverage. The third shot of the cubs and the last are my favorites. I like the eyeline of Mum/cub- each looking out opposite sides of the frame in your final image. As these are last years cubs it's likely they'll go their separate ways come Autumn and this shot tells that story really nicely in my view. Thank you

Phil

Jun 08, 2014 at 01:33 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Very nice images Scott. Glad to hear you are getting back at it.

Jun 08, 2014 at 01:34 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Wonderful set Scott.

Morris

Jun 08, 2014 at 02:30 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Jonathan Huynh: Yup, number 7 has the nicest exposure and composition. I liked the cub scratching its back while his brother looked on but the challenges of low light meant low fstop. Next time. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

David Leask: It was great to get out. I am hoping that I will able to run from bears completely within a couple of weeks. Thanks for your feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

ckcarr: Glad you like the shots. I was amazed how healthy looking these guys were. The mom looks like she has had an easy winter. Bear luck is just persistence and hoping they move so the sun is behind you (and driving on the Kootenay highway where there are lots of bears ). Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

philshoots: Thanks for your thoughts - I am almost over the pain and moving to frustration, so next week should be good. Glad you like 3,7. I think these are this years bears, they are pretty big but they would be bigger if they were a year old, I think. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 08, 2014 at 03:45 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

KCollett: Thanks for the well wishes. Glad you like the bears. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

morris: Glad you like the black bear set. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 08, 2014 at 03:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Wonderful shots of the family activities.
I've never have the opportunity shot bears so I am wondering how far away are you from these big and dangerous beasts?

-Quang

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:02 PM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Fantastic set Scott!
They all look very healthy and well fed
Enjoyed each frame

Tom

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:24 PM
dalongfellow
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Best wishes for continuing your recovery. Have missed seeing as many of your shots. Love #3 and the last. However, I'd love to have seen any of these scenes, even if I didn't get them on a disk! Thanks for the post.

Dave

Jun 08, 2014 at 06:59 PM
Ed Swift
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Lovely shots Scott, I think the last shot is my favourite too.

Glad you are on the road to recovery.

Ed

Jun 08, 2014 at 07:31 PM
ggyy

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Beautiful shots

Jun 08, 2014 at 08:14 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Geez Scott - I'd be happy with any of these, and you have a whole set. 1 has a slight edge for the cute factor ~ Ron

Jun 08, 2014 at 08:18 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

ShutteredMe: Its a great family. I was using my 600/f4 with full frame. You need to be about 200' away to have them all in the frame with some room for cropping for composition. At 200', and usually being within 10' of my car, its a fair race, if she gets upset but at 200' she either ignores me or goes away. On this day I took them all from across the road in my car because it caused the least stress to the family. The great thing about a long (600/ff or 400/apsc) lens is that its far enough away that they don't feel harrassed. The challenge is that the 600 attracks other people, who harrass the bear. Being in the car reduces the attention. So they are not dangerous if you are careful to keep your space. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Thomas Sanders: They look like they had a good winter. Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

dalongfellow: Glad you like 3 and last. Early June is a can't miss for black bears on Kootenay highway - they need to eat the dandelions to build up their reserves and the snow is smallest near the road and wherever man clears the field, there are dandelions. Thanks for the feedback and wishes. Much appreciated. Scott

Ed Swift: Glad you like 7. The road to recovery is tough when you try to follow a moose into the bush , but it feels good. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 08, 2014 at 08:46 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

ggyy: Glad you like them. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

surfnron: They were great. Cubs are so much fun because they like to play and eat instead of just eating. Glad you like 1. As you can tell, it was one of the earlier ones at very high iso. But it was cute. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 08, 2014 at 08:49 PM
G.E. Smith
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Scott - Great looking bears, nice job.

Good luck with your torn hamstring, having torn mine years ago I know what your going through. Hang in there it gets better.

Greg

Jun 08, 2014 at 11:59 PM
brimull
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Kootenay Highway - Black Bear and Cubs

Excellent series of what appears to be a well fed black bear family.

Brian M.

Jun 09, 2014 at 12:20 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password