Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Batteries draining

JameelH
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Batteries draining

I recently started observing this with both of my cameras ( 5d3 and 7d). I'd put in a fully charged battery and a day or two later it is completely discharged. The camera is off. Happened with both canon as well as 3rd party battery. For now I am keeping the batteries separate and installing before shooting. Needless to say this never happened before. Any rational explanation for this?

Jun 08, 2014 at 03:30 AM
drzhao

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Batteries draining

JameelH wrote:
I recently started observing this with both of my cameras ( 5d3 and 7d). I'd put in a fully charged battery and a day or two later it is completely discharged. The camera is off. Happened with both canon as well as 3rd party battery. For now I am keeping the batteries separate and installing before shooting. Needless to say this never happened before. Any rational explanation for this?

Do you use a battery grip? Or a 1.4 teleconverter?

Jun 08, 2014 at 03:33 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Batteries draining

Is that with or without a lens?

EBH

Jun 08, 2014 at 03:43 AM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Batteries draining

No grip but with lens attached on the 5d3 and no lens with 7d

Jun 08, 2014 at 03:56 AM
drzhao

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Batteries draining

I know that Canon made a few batches of bad circuits in a some teleconverters, so it might apply to lenses as well? For the 7d, it might be a problem in camera if not a bad battery: http://www.fredmiranda.com/testforum/topic/1105198

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:04 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Batteries draining

It's not normal with either of those bodies. The batteries should maintain a charge for a few months in the cameras and more outside.

If two unrelated bodies suddenly have a problem you need to look at what is in common such as the lens, grip, batteries, charger, memory card, weird accessories or camera settings.

EBH

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:06 AM
drzhao

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Batteries draining

Wireless eye fi cards? Or batteries destroyed during a surge?

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:11 AM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Batteries draining

I am going to try this with just the camera with no lens and no other accessories. I never had any tele converter attached anyway nor any grips (don't use grips at all). Didn't change any camera settings since I first set it up other than normal stuff that changes during shooting (mlu, exposure etc.).

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:56 AM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Batteries draining

No eye fi cards. I often switch switch from canon charger to 3rd party dual charger however. But the batteries are fine outside the camera.

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:58 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Batteries draining

Odd that it's both camera bodies. Are you sure you're not putting discharged batteries into the 5D MkIII?

There is a known issue with the 7D and screws coming loose causing a similar issue. Both my 7D's had the issue (one purchased 09/09 and the other 2/12). I sent the first in for repair by Canon and with my CPS discount was around $250 (non-CPS member price was $320 I think). I read about the cause and fix on DPReview and figured I could do the fix myself.

Basically the front, back and bottom are removed to get to the 1 or 2 loose screws and tighten the board down that causes the draining issue. It took me about 20 minutes to disassemble the camera, 1 minute to find the loose screw and then tighten, and 10 minutes to reassemble the camera.

I hope this helps.

Jun 08, 2014 at 08:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

markshelby
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Batteries draining

Are the batteries Canon brand? Are they more than one year old?

Jun 10, 2014 at 02:47 PM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Batteries draining

Tried it with both Canon as well off brand. The batteries are more than a year old. Some are even older.

After more controlled tests, the 7D consistently shows this. I can't reproduce the 5D3 consistently. It is likely that it could be a user error - did happen a couple of times though.

Jun 10, 2014 at 02:51 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Batteries draining

I suspect the batteries or charger.

Jun 10, 2014 at 03:10 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Batteries draining

A memory card can cause almost any problem, so I wouldn't rule that out.

Jun 11, 2014 at 04:22 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Batteries draining

If you've isolated it to the 7D I suspect it is the loose screw issue.

Jun 11, 2014 at 05:06 PM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Batteries draining

Pretty much. The 5D3 was demonstrating this with only one of my batteries. The 7D is doing with all.

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:08 PM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Batteries draining

Sounds like perhaps multiple issues. Perhaps a bad/old battery caused the issue with the 5DMkIII and loose screw(s) with the 7D.

Check out this link for more details on disassembling the 7D to tighten the screws.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3091057/51929450

If you read the entire thread you'll learn about the "freezer method" of fixing the issue. If the freezer method works on your camera, I can guarantee you that one or more loose screws is the issue.

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:29 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Batteries draining

Andrew J wrote:
A memory card can cause almost any problem, so I wouldn't rule that out.

This is correct, I saw a problem with a smartphone once and a model of memory card with a known defect. SD and CF cards are supposed to go into sleep or low power mode when requested by the controller, and most do. But this particular card had a known problem where it would not properly go into sleep mode when requested. So as long as I was using this particular card, it would cut into the battery life.

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:34 PM
JameelH
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Batteries draining

7D has the drain even without a memory card. I have only Sandisk and Lexar cards and have used pretty much only Sandisk in the 7D.

Now to look into the surgery to fix the lose screw. Not worth $250+ to get this simple thing done.

Jun 12, 2014 at 02:05 AM
thefoundou

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Batteries draining

How old are the batteries? Often times the batteries could be almost entirely drained because of too much wear-n-tear.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:52 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password