New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Family at their Farm Home

BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Family at their Farm Home

I had the opportunity to spend a morning with this family of 3 on their homestead. It was a spectacular morning and I'm really pleased with how the images turned out. I'm always striving to get better, so comments and critiques are always welcome.

Jun 07, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Family at their Farm Home

Hello

Everything I write here on FM is intended to help. Everything I write is in a truly friendly spirit and tone of voice.

Unfortunately, you can't hear my voice on this forum, and written comments can be easily misunderstood for tone and intent. That is why I prefer to speak with people on a phone call when giving them advice and giving critical opinions (critique) of their images. Otherwise, what is intended to help someone can be taken wrongly, and that defeats the purpose of the communication. And, because I want to avoid flaming and trolls, I tend to refrain from writing some things here that could be instrumental in helping someone improve, but may be taken out of context or misused by others. So, I limit my written comments here...though I am sure some will disagree on that last point.

Quick Comments will be followed with some bluntness, and a little bit of humor.

I like families. And farms. And kids. And barns. So, lots of potential in this session.

The kids look nice as in "friendly" or good together or just "nice kids." That is a good impression.

Warning, I am going to say some things in a more direct manner than usual. I suppose it had to happen sometime.

The young couple looks better closer.

In Image ONE the woman's face seems so soft (almost mushy, lacking sharpness). The softness of that image makes me think "amateur photographer" or "low quality camera" etc. I am not a "sharpness junkie" but this image seems just too soft for the light, the distance, the situation (a portrait of two people standing) etc. Also, the image gives me the impression that the photographer was paying more attention to the boards, shovels, and background. Why do I need to see those boards in image left? Do those add to the image in a valuable way? I think not.

In image TWO LEFT the pose seems to me to be copycat posing of someone else's image (seen that pose/look so many times before by wedding photographers) and it seems unnatural, stiff, (to me) hokey, and contrived. Notice the artificial distance between them and the stiff upright and "posed" looking stance. Looks ridiculous to me. In a humorous way, it also gives me the impression of an "alien couple" or "pod people" who show up on the farm (see bright light behind them). Looks like a bad scene from a B Sci-fi movie. Two thumbs down.

Image TWO RIGHT: Pod couple joined by boy. Even more pronounced "horror" lighting (for what reason?). Not a pleasant photo to see for any reason I can see. Facial expression on man looks smug or hiding anger or simply "pissed." Perhaps he was thinking about the posing in image TWO LEFT? Light on the faces (and your choice of processing) has left us with only ONE eye per adult to be seen. Now look at the ONE visible eye on the woman. It looks weird to me, probably because of the glare and angle of light (low catchlight, shadow of upper lashes) on it or how she is looking at the camera man. Her expression not matching his...seems odd or "off" too.

Image THREE: Nice expressions on father and woman. One of the best from this set. I wish more of the set looked like this as it is easier on my eyes and more pleasing to see their expressions of happiness etc. Seems more like a "natural moment" and does not give impression of "alien couple." My suggestion: make more of this in the future.

Image FOUR: Seems like poor framing to me. Chopped off the subject's feet, but kept the roof of the trailer and lots of empty trailer (door) to right of image.

Image FIVE: Nice expression on woman. Not so nice on man. Poor placement of the subjects in the light. Notice the poor exposure BURN (overexposed blown areas) (white) on her arm. The right side of image also has very hot section. Why include that?

Faces out of focus (due to use of short DOF or open aperture) is not pleasing to me. See man in last image.

Lest you think these comments harsh or unfair, I assure you I have no malice or ill will or mean spirit.

I remember when I first started seriously attempting photography. I showed a photo (portrait) I had just made to a more experienced photographer. I was happy with it and proud of my achievement. He quickly pointed out the quarter sized "blown highlight" on the skin of the subject. I hardly noticed, because at that point I was just happy to get a decent exposure. Seeing some things like that comes with time, experience, or more quickly if someone with more experience (or trained eye or more subjective view) points it out.

Also, I hope my comments will not discourage you. I am glad you are posting photos here in this forum (as it needs more postings of photos) and I wish you the best of success and happiness in your pursuit of photography whether as a hobby or creative outlet or business.

I hope these honest and direct comments help you and others.

Jun 08, 2014 at 12:05 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Family at their Farm Home

Steady Hand - Thanks for taking the time to look over my images. I'm on board with #3 really being the winner of this set--and really the whole day. I loved it in color, but it really sings in black & white. I love the location largely because it is lived in and home to them. It had a warm feeling all around.
Yup, 2 is cheesy and not super natural (perhaps a little super-natural). Above the doorway was a window (sans glass) that was part of a church. they spaced the posts in the barn so that it would fit there when they built it. I was thinking loosely about the churchy-ness of this and that the couple recently had an anniversary. I still like the mood of the image, though I agree it is on the hokey side.
I've been fighting with sharpness out of my Tokina 20-35 lens. It is frustrating because I get some wonderful crisp images, but sometimes end up unacceptable levels of softness. I've got a few things to do diagnotically still, but I am getting ready to dump it and try another lens.
I also appreciate all of your comments regarding compositional items. I'll be reading over your comments a few more times to take them in and do justice to your thoughts.

Thanks again!
Ben

Also, more images from this day here: http://www.bensandnessphotography.com/?p=659

Jun 08, 2014 at 01:09 AM
planalpha
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Family at their Farm Home

Nice and unique photos! I really like the last one with the end of the wood pile for the background.

Jun 08, 2014 at 07:51 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.