New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Final word on Df?

low325
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Final word on Df?

Never felt so connected with photography since I got the Df.

ALL YOUR (nikkor) MF GLASS BELONG TO ME!!! :-)

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:57 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Final word on Df?

I got my Df just after New Year's in time for a trip to Algonquin Park here in Ontario, Canada. I was really looking forward to getting the Df .. and I sold off a few items, including my D7100 to afford it. I was lucky to get a fairly decent price which was about $500 lower than the MSRP. It was a special in-store price. The Df fit in with what I wanted - a full frame, smaller body camera - don't care about video... and works well with prime lenses. Perfect! It's the camera I take everywhere with me, and I have been using it almost on a daily basis. I try to take at least a few frames a day, although some days it doesn't see any action.

I love it for street photography, for general photo opportunities, and it has served me well for a few projects. I even use it with my longer zooms for action - I have used it to shoot amateur boxing, nature and wildlife, and landscape, and street/candid photography.

AF is not bad - yes, I'd agree its not nearly as good as my D800 in lower light conditions - and sometimes I have difficulty acquiring focus where there is a lack of contrast in a subject. But it performs well enough for me. If I am doing something where it really counts - I am usually using my D800 anyhow.

I love the smaller RAW files - that is a definite bonus - something I always enjoyed when I used to shoot with the D2h. So processing images and downloading is a bit quicker than my higher res D800.

I have gotten used to the controls - it only took a few hours of shooting with the camera to get accustomed to shooting with it, including where to place your hands for operation - many complain about the right strap being placed wrongly... I got used to it.

So in all -- I love my Df, and I think its a keeper for quite some time to come.

Jun 09, 2014 at 12:10 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Final word on Df?

I think it's the last camera I'm going to buy for a loooong time. The only thing I have wanted to change was having a more accurate and broader-spread AF system, especially after coming from DX. That's nothing new to anyone and I've slowly learned to deal with it. Otherwise, it's exactly what I want: awesome sensor, super high iso capability, relatively small and light for FX, smaller raw files, and cool looking.

Jun 09, 2014 at 12:23 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Final word on Df?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Please, his experience is just as valid as any of us spouting off.

But what does Ken Rockwell have to say?

omg, I happened upon a video on youtube where he visits B&H... FFS, the guy is such a tool it's ridiculous!!

What I want to know is... I believe there IS a 3rd party focusing screen on the market for the Df. Has anyone here tried the Df with the 3rd party focusing screen? I would definitely be interested in a Df if it's manual focusing capabilities could be improved.

Jun 09, 2014 at 01:04 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Final word on Df?

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:
omg, I happened upon a video on youtube where he visits B&H... FFS, the guy is such a tool it's ridiculous!!

I saw that video a while back. He talks non-stop..basically a human D4s, but less useful.

As for the Df.. I tried one at the store. Not a bad camera, but what's up with the location of that strap lug? Does the strap ever get in the way of your shutter finger when shooting?

Jun 09, 2014 at 02:42 PM
James L
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Final word on Df?

I've had mine since first released. Plenty of photos in the Df image thread as examples. I haven't used my D300s much since I got the Df. I do work as a professional and the Df is great for events. No issue with the AF or low light AF performance in my opinion. Would much rather carry it around vs. a heavy monster D4. All my photos back up to my MotoX via eyeFi as I shoot so no issue with the lack of a secondary card slot for back up.

I do miss not having a wide range of AF points but not enough to limit my ability to make a great picture. For sports I do lean on the D300s in normal daylight settings but the Df works just as well. Battery life isn't as great as I would wish.

Its been a great camera and was a great buy business wise for me.

James

Jun 09, 2014 at 02:59 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Final word on Df?

I like Ken Rockwell. I think he's pretty knowledgeable.

Edited on Jun 09, 2014 at 03:43 PM · View previous versions

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:11 PM
photorebel
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Final word on Df?

DontShoot wrote:
I saw that video a while back. He talks non-stop..basically a human D4s, but less useful.

As for the Df.. I tried one at the store. Not a bad camera, but what's up with the location of that strap lug? Does the strap ever get in the way of your shutter finger when shooting?

Human D4s…but less useful.

As for the strap lug on DF, The strap has never got in my way while shooting. So far I've done two portrait sessions, and has never been an issue for me. Might different for others.

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:21 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Final word on Df?

Again, thanks for the further input, guys! Good stuff that helps me a great deal! I hate being on the fence about something, especially a rather significant purchase like this. You have given me what I need to get off the fence.

thanks
Kerry

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:28 PM
chuhsi1
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Final word on Df?

DontShoot wrote:

I use an L-Bracket..so shutter-side lug is unused and I instead use the loop on the l-bracket. Other end of the strap connects to the camera body by the ISO. Works perfectly for me.

Jun 09, 2014 at 03:52 PM
photorebel
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Final word on Df?

This is a fairly even review about the DF.

http://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-df

Jun 09, 2014 at 04:23 PM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Final word on Df?

If I had to sum up the DF; amazing IQ, amazing controls, mediocre AF.

Jun 09, 2014 at 05:51 PM
r_o_b_s_o_n
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Final word on Df?

Mataz426 wrote:
I like Ken Rockwell. I think he's pretty knowledgeable.

No offense intended, but anyone who is knowledgable about cameras knows that Rockwell is talking out of his ass...

Jun 09, 2014 at 05:53 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Final word on Df?

Andre Labonte wrote:
Please, his experience is just as valid as any of us spouting off.

Valid, but why he gives him clicks? I am jaded about Internet photog 'celebs' whose 'reviews' and 'expertise' are often quite vapid.

Jun 09, 2014 at 06:22 PM
Mataz426
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Final word on Df?

r_o_b_s_o_n wrote:
No offense intended, but anyone who is knowledgable about cameras knows that Rockwell is talking out of his ass...

No offense taken. Ken Rockwell is Ken Rockwell. He's very smart, and knows how to generate traffic to his site. He's really geared to the beginner, but has some good reviews on lenses. We all know that you have to take what he says with a grain of salt

Jun 09, 2014 at 08:13 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.