New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Steam Locomotive Controls

kurt765
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Set the Controls for Roanoke by Kurt Lawson, on Flickr

The controls of Norfolk and Western Y6a class 2-8-8-2 #2156 at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis. Soon this locomotive will make a trip to Roanoke, Virginia for a multi-year loan to the Virginia Museum of Transportation. All those knobs with no labels!

Jun 07, 2014 at 10:38 AM
WalterF
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Steam Locomotive Controls

I can't imagine running one of these steam locomotives, hot sweaty and good memory to know which valve to turn when Nice photo, thanks for sharing.

Jun 08, 2014 at 06:27 PM
geneva

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Steam Locomotive Controls

wow

Jun 08, 2014 at 06:27 PM
Allynb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Nice take. Like the subtle enhancement in detail and saturation.
Allan

Jun 08, 2014 at 09:55 PM
Parkerfoster

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Nice Shots!

Jun 08, 2014 at 09:58 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Thanks!

Jun 10, 2014 at 04:25 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Very nice Kurt.

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:10 PM
Ccugolf
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Very unique view of a train. I can't believe they ran these with out any tags on the knobs

Jon

Jun 22, 2014 at 09:05 PM
davenfl
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Wonderful shot. All those controls and not a hint of what's what. Good reason why these guys were considered skilled and highly paid in their day.

Dave

Jun 22, 2014 at 09:22 PM
kurt765
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Thanks for the comments! I can tell you a few of the controls.

The left side is the Fireman's side. The knobs arranged in a V on the lower left are for the 5 steam jets that blast the coal brought up from the stoker into various areas of the firebox. No shoveling here for such a huge locomotive (well once you have a fire going and some steam pressure). Other knobs on the left would include controls for injectors (injecting new water into the boiler), probably the feedwater heater controls as well.

On the right side is the Engineer's side. Here we have the throttle hanging down from the ceiling (red horizontal knob). To the right of that is the cutoff lever (vertical red knob with a grip lock that must be pressed in, this is the forward / reverse control). The engineer has an injector control in there somewhere too. Both sides have steam pressure, brake (air) pressure, and temperature gauges. There are water glasses that indicate water level in the boiler (critically important!). Engineer has sand control to disperse sand on the rail just in front of the driving wheels for increased traction. The whistle control would normally be a rope that hangs down from up near the roof.

Lots of controls in there for sure, and no labels! They are truly fascinating pieces of mechanical technology. It's so different from our modern computer age that it's almost alien.

-K

Jun 22, 2014 at 09:42 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Steam Locomotive Controls

On another forum, I was looking at some shots of running gear being restored and the level of precision work being done on fairly massive pieces of steel is definitely impressive. They are both very primitive in some ways and yet when you get to the valve gear, remarkably precise, almost like watch or clock works. We should enjoy them while we have them, they are steel dinosaurs.

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:24 AM
glennh56
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Cool shot. Soon there will be no-one left who could actually operate this.

Jun 27, 2014 at 03:30 PM
jrolo

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Great shot. Really nice colors!

Jun 27, 2014 at 07:23 PM
Connorph

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Steam Locomotive Controls

Love some good train pics!

Jun 28, 2014 at 09:22 PM
marklankton
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Steam Locomotive Controls

kurt765 wrote:
Thanks for the comments! I can tell you a few of the controls.

The left side is the Fireman's side. The knobs arranged in a V on the lower left are for the 5 steam jets that blast the coal brought up from the stoker into various areas of the firebox. No shoveling here for such a huge locomotive (well once you have a fire going and some steam pressure). Other knobs on the left would include controls for injectors (injecting new water into the boiler), probably the feedwater heater controls as well.

On the right side is the Engineer's side. Here
...Show more
It's a really nice photo, but I have to admit I like the explanation of the controls even better. It would be quite a kick for me to ride along and see this control room in action!
Mark

Jun 28, 2014 at 09:55 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.