New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

MVestergaard
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

EDIT:
Thank you all for the responses and honest opinions.

I can definately see what you guys mean. It does look "off" that an infant sits like that.
It was also a "funny" picture at the end....

Here's a couple more from the same day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Was shooting a baby shoot yesterday.

Out of all the normal pics, I tried something fun.
He was only 7 weeks old, so mommy was holding him and I removed her afterwards.

Is this good or bad?

Edited on Jun 08, 2014 at 10:36 AM · View previous versions

Jun 07, 2014 at 02:51 AM
popawalker
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

I saw it before I read that you photoshopped out mom. It scared me to see a baby like that on an open back chair. Personally, I don't like it, but that's just me.

Jun 07, 2014 at 05:41 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

Howdy.

Everything I write here on FM is intended to help. Everything I write is in a truly friendly spirit and tone of voice.

Unfortunately, you can't hear my voice on this forum, and written comments can be easily misunderstood for tone and intent. That is why I prefer to speak with people on a phone call when giving them advice and giving critical opinions (critique) of their images. Otherwise, what is intended to help someone can be taken wrongly, and that defeats the purpose of the communication. And, because I want to avoid flaming and trolls, I tend to refrain from writing some things here that could be instrumental in helping someone improve, but may be taken out of context or misused by others. So, I limit my written comments here...though I am sure some will disagree on that last point.

You asked "good or bad." I seldom use the word "bad" in any critique, because many critiques are simply an opinion and what is "good" for one person is "bad" for another or vice versa.

Simple answer in a word, "bad."

Why?

All this photo shows me is a sleeping baby in a chair with a pacifier in his mouth.

I assume the mother/parents hire a professional photographer to make a photo they cannot make themselves. This looks like a photo an average parent could make. So, it does not seem like any great challenge or anything special to me. IF I were a typical parent, I would not hire a professional or pay even an amateur or "part time pro" to make this photo for me (even assuming I was not a pro photographer or skilled photographer).

Of course you see the challenge as the photoshop work you did. I don't see the point of that either. From my POV, the best use of photoshop work should either be either to create "WOW" special effects (that cannot be made otherwise), or completely unnoticed (e.g. retouching a pimple). You used photoshop to remove a parent. Why? Seems like a waste of time/effort/skill, and it "removed the parent."

Also, you could have used your photoshop skills to remove the pacifier. That would have improved this photo.

But, I don't need to use photoshop to remove a pacifier. I simply have the parent take it out of the mouth prior to the shot. Simple, quick, effective. Of course some may object, but the pacifier can return till I need another shot. I have never had a problem with this and I have photographed many infants. So, it can be done.

So, looking at this photo, I am left with the thought that you wanted to do something "good" but instead used time/effort/opportunity and did not create anything good/better than could be done without photoshop. So, for that reason I say "bad" use of time/effort/opportunity.

Also, I do not like the positioning of a baby in a place or situation that even appears to have risk for the infant or could cause them harm (such as falling off a high piece of furniture etc.).

I hope you understand my POV or that this helps you and others.

Edited on Jun 07, 2014 at 08:07 AM · View previous versions

Jun 07, 2014 at 06:03 AM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

Sorry, but it's thumbs down on this one for reasons already mentioned. It also loses reality since an infant couldn't be in this position without something to support its back.

Jun 07, 2014 at 08:00 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

I'm with the rest. Not working sorry...maybe having him laying on his back might have worked better.

I had a 10 week old the other week and there's not much you can do with them.

Jun 07, 2014 at 09:14 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

The chair doesn't really bother me, the pacifier and odd lean to the infant detract for me. I would have put the baby on it's tummy on the chair seat and tucked it's arms under head. Probably with just diaper on.

Jun 07, 2014 at 09:31 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

I see what you were trying to do.
If he was a little straighter it would have worked a little better.

Jun 07, 2014 at 11:00 AM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

When we work hard at accomplishing something remarkable it's natural to lose perspective on how it's coming out - thus the usefulness of asking others to have a look.

You did a better job than I could have with the composite, but it still screams Photoshop. The only element that looks natural to me is the shadow beneath the baby's feet. Everything else feels over sharpened, abrupt and implausible regarding the pose - particularly the arms floating in space.

Impressive effort and I hope our comments are useful.

Regards,

Chuck

Jun 07, 2014 at 08:17 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

+1 for innovation and trying something new! I agree that the physics of the scenario don't match the child sitting alone, but kudos for the effort. It is easy (easier) to shoot infants as sleeping lumps.

Jun 07, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

So cute

Jun 09, 2014 at 10:24 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

I like the first 2 the best. Not really a fan of the chair one but I have read your reasons and how it was achieved.

For the first two, something to consider for next time is to try to not shoot "up" the nose. always try to shoot "down" the nose as its a more pleasing perspective. Also try to light your subject down the nose as well. they both go hand and hand.

Was the baby's outfit the mothers choice or yours?

it's a cute outfit for snap shots and maybe the mother is perfectly fine with that. as a parent i still would love to have these images of my baby so they aren't useless.

I think you have the potential to do much much better and as they say practice makes perfect so keep doing more newborn sessions. i'm not perfect, far far from it but each session i do I feel much better with my posing, handling the baby, lighting and composition. Also I feel as if I'm getting better at handling parents that try to control the session and I can take control back nicely and professionally to capture and deliver the imagery I feel is best. All it takes is time, more practice and more sessions.

thanks for sharing and please dont let the comments and critique discourage you. its hard to see the positive through the negative sometimes.

Jun 10, 2014 at 12:51 AM
MVestergaard
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Baby shoot - IMAGES ADDED

Hey Nextelbuddy.
No not at all! That's why I upload here.... to get some critique from photographers who sees mistakes, posing issues etc that other people don't.
So I'm happy to get critique - it's all welcome.

That you very much for the response though.

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:09 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.