New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · D3s Triple WOW

wembley
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3s Triple WOW

My new to me used D3s with 56k shutter actuations I purchased from Craigslist arrived today. I watched this for 3-4 weeks. Emailed with the owner, talked with the owner and generally made sure everything was legit. Its legit.

WOW 1: $1950

WOW 2: 11fps and amazing AF

WOW 3: 6400 iso

Cheers
Wembey

11fps and amazing AF

6400 iso

Jun 06, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3s Triple WOW

Good buying! Enjoy! Cute friend by the way.

Jun 06, 2014 at 10:30 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3s Triple WOW

Enjoy! Those pro body nikon's are beasts!

Jun 06, 2014 at 11:19 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3s Triple WOW

Don't forget that with the extended useful ISO range you can use Manual exposure mode with Auto ISO to give you full control of DOF (aperture) and motion (shutter speed) and still get auto exposure. That way you'll get the lowest ISO that really meets your needs.

As good as the D3s is at higher ISO, it still works better with low ISO so don't leave it on 3200 or 6400 and forget about it.

- Alan

Jun 07, 2014 at 04:19 AM
Conner999
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3s Triple WOW

I use one in studio at base iso alongside a D800e and the S does an amazing job. Can also use LR D2X presets with the S if like them.

Jun 07, 2014 at 09:48 AM
wembley
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3s Triple WOW

low325 wrote:
Enjoy! Those pro body nikon's are beasts!

I loved my D700 for the last 5 or so years but missed everything about the D2H body I used before that. Now that body is back and with useable iso's.

Cheers
Wembley

Jun 07, 2014 at 10:02 AM
wembley
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3s Triple WOW

Conner999 wrote:
I use one in studio at base iso alongside a D800e and the S does an amazing job. Can also use LR D2X presets with the S if like them.

Alan and Connor:

Yes will not just be used for high ISO's but for everything. Just waiting to find an L bracket to put my 17-35 to work with ND filters for some day time LE.

Cheers
Wembley

Jun 07, 2014 at 10:04 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D3s Triple WOW

What's your take on why the owner sold the body for significantly below its market value?

Jun 07, 2014 at 10:07 AM
wembley
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D3s Triple WOW

snapsy wrote:
What's your take on why the owner sold the body for significantly below its market value?

They downgraded to a smaller 4/3 system, and tried selling a high price item in a small local market and didn't have success. Item was available for 3-4 weeks and price had been dropped a couple of times to fund the sellers newer purchases. I developed a good correspondence with the seller, but it was their listed price, no lowballing offers from me - mind you you can't really low ball offer an advertised D3s for $1950.
I got sample shots with the exif so knew the shutter count, knew the copyright info and the serial number. All checked out to the photographers website and multiple sources for the photographers work. Pictures of the body were taken with the new new smaller system (shown in the exif). Emailed with the seller several times and talked a couple of times and everything checked out as being genuine including samples on their website, email and phone numbers from their online presence and what was provided to me.

I think sometimes people have to raise funds for items (already purchased in this case) and know the value of their equipment but want the cash not inventory so price to sell.

I'd been searching for a D3 and in that search found a couple of D3s'es for $2500 and $2300. Both had very high shutter counts though. Prices here on FM are higher but I think local sales can be in the low $2k range for the D3s.

cheers
wembley

Jun 07, 2014 at 10:35 AM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D3s Triple WOW

wembley wrote:
They downgraded to a smaller 4/3 system, and tried selling a high price item in a small local market and didn't have success. Item was available for 3-4 weeks and price had been dropped a couple of times to fund the sellers newer purchases. I developed a good correspondence with the seller, but it was their listed price, no lowballing offers from me - mind you you can't really low ball offer an advertised D3s for $1950.
I got sample shots with the exif so knew the shutter count, knew the copyright info and the serial number. All checked out to
...Show more

Sweet, sounds nice. Sometimes people just inexplicably fail to research prices before selling something. Surprised he had so much trouble selling - ironically it was probably because the price was too low.

Edited on Jun 07, 2014 at 10:49 AM · View previous versions

Jun 07, 2014 at 10:48 AM
blutch
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D3s Triple WOW

Great buy. I got mine with 5000 clicks a year ago for $2800 and it was a steal then. I'd buy a second one if I could find a deal like yours. I just love this camera. I actually prefer it for almost everything over my D800.

For events, concerts, theater, I actually shoot aperture priority and auto ISO with a limit of 12,500... I usually set the aperture at 4.5 and just click away. Rarely do my shutter speeds dip below where they need to be. I don't care what the tests say, the D3s renders medium to high ISO's much better than the D800.. even below 6400.

B

Jun 07, 2014 at 10:49 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D3s Triple WOW

This is a wonderful acquisition and a good buy. I have posted in many threads over the last few months that the D3s is probably the most undervalued body being sold right now.

With the very subtle differences between the D4, D4s and the D4 line ups addition to that annoying XQD memory format, pound for pound and buck for buck.. You're ahead of the curve.

Shoot yer brains out kiddo !

And congrats..

Jun 07, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D3s Triple WOW

John Skinner
Post icon p.1 #12 · D3s Triple WOW
This is a wonderful acquisition and a good buy. I have posted in many threads over the last few months that the D3s is probably the most undervalued body being sold right now.

With the very subtle differences between the D4, D4s and the D4 line ups addition to that annoying XQD memory format, pound for pound and buck for buck.. You're ahead of the curve.

Shoot yer brains out kiddo !

And congrats..

Agreed! I had my D3s prior to my D3x & D800e. After trying the D4 I just couldn't justify all new batteries and the XQD memory format. After a trip to Uganda last Nov. chasing the chimpanzees in extreme low light the D3s allowed the highest rate of keepers. I really like the D800e, but in low light and speed the D3s wins hands down.

Body built like a Sherman Tank, the big old 12 mega pixels produce very nice wall hangers.
I'm sure the D4/s would be equal to the task, I'm always thinking I'll sell both D3x/s but then I take them on a trip and they becomes keepers.

Enjoy your new to you D3s.

Jun 07, 2014 at 02:24 PM
ourabmen
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D3s Triple WOW

Man, that is a screaming deal! Wish I could find one for that price.

Jun 07, 2014 at 11:36 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D3s Triple WOW

Lovely images, though judging by the first shot, your dog is even more excited than you about the new D3s

Cheers
Leigh

Jun 08, 2014 at 02:57 AM
ziggym

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D3s Triple WOW

Kind of makes me want to add the extra letter to my searches.
That dog does look like it's very excited to have pictures taken.

Jun 08, 2014 at 12:51 PM
jsv_20
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D3s Triple WOW

Excellent find! What an incredible deal!

Jun 08, 2014 at 04:53 PM
newphotmano
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D3s Triple WOW

wow what a steal i would love to get one for something close to that price

Jun 09, 2014 at 08:04 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D3s Triple WOW

I'd love to find a deal like that. The D3s is my dream camera, but they're still too far up there...

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:40 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D3s Triple WOW

Same here, as a hobbyist not making a single $ from my hobby current prices are just too high for me. $2000 for a good working low shutter count camera (I'd consider anything up to 25k clicks low on these) is just awesome and might even convince me to sell my car to fund the camera.

Jun 10, 2014 at 06:02 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.