Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Chiricahua NM

alatoo60
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Chiricahua NM

I am not saying it should be in everyone's bucket list, but if you are looking for new landscape photography subjects away from beaten path, think of Chiricahua NM, in Southern Arizona.
Below are few pictures, taken during short visit couple of years ago (finally got the skills to process those). Sorry, Jim, it's E-3 again, with all its noise

C&C welcome.

Sasha.

© Lumiscience 2014

1. Sunburst

© Lumiscience 2014

2. Valley Overlook

3. Alligator tree close-up

5. Peaking through a keyhole

4. Wonderland of rocks

Edited on Jun 12, 2014 at 12:33 AM · View previous versions

Jun 06, 2014 at 09:21 PM
Timmeh
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Chiricahua NM

Hey Sasha,

I really like #1, 2, and 4. They look a little bit over-sharpened, but the light looks great. A couple of suggestions: If you had gotten a little bit lower in #2 the needleless branch would have been above the horizon, and #4 feels a little cut off at the left (I'd like to see where the rock meets the horizon). Great set overall!

Tim

Jun 06, 2014 at 09:33 PM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Chiricahua NM

This place does look worth visiting with all the awesome lichen covering everything. My faves would have to be #5, even though I would like to see the window take up more room in the frame, and #2. Did you take any shots of #2 focusing closer on the light hitting the distant rocks?

Jun 06, 2014 at 09:42 PM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Chiricahua NM

My favorite is the soft lighting of #2.

CheeryCows is fantastic! Quiet, remote, lovely.
Fortunately, it's far enough off the beaten path to avoid the tour bus crowd, who trudge off to Tombstone instead...

Jun 06, 2014 at 11:31 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Chiricahua NM

Really good series, nice work.

Jun 07, 2014 at 12:01 AM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Chiricahua NM

I prefer the 2 and 4, looks like a cool location to explore...

Andrey

Jun 07, 2014 at 06:05 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Chiricahua NM

Hey Sasha,

It's nice to have remote uncrowded places to shoot. #2 and 5 are my favorites from here.

Jim

Jun 07, 2014 at 12:59 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Chiricahua NM

Hey Sasha,

I really like #1, 2, and 4. They look a little bit over-sharpened, but the light looks great. A couple of suggestions: If you had gotten a little bit lower in #2 the needleless branch would have been above the horizon, and #4 feels a little cut off at the left (I'd like to see where the rock meets the horizon). Great set overall!

Tim

Tim,
Thank you for the suggestions! It may be over-sharpened, good you noticed, my work flow is now adjusted for a camera with higher resolution, have to keep sharpening in mind.
As I recall, it was very windy, so my main concern was to hold to tripod
Not sure about #4 - I was still editing when you left a comment, so maybe it is related to the other #4 that was replaced.

Justin Grimm wrote:
This place does look worth visiting with all the awesome lichen covering everything. My faves would have to be #5, even though I would like to see the window take up more room in the frame, and #2. Did you take any shots of #2 focusing closer on the light hitting the distant rocks?

Justin, place is fantastic. If these rocks were red, it would be overwhelming, but gray with lichen looks cool. Yes, I do have close-up of the distant rocks, please see below.

Greg Campbell wrote:
My favorite is the soft lighting of #2.

CheeryCows is fantastic! Quiet, remote, lovely.
Fortunately, it's far enough off the beaten path to avoid the tour bus crowd, who trudge off to Tombstone instead...

Thank you, Greg. It is very quiet, indeed, and lots of wild life. Love the campground, too. The whole South Arizona area is very photogenic and worth exploring.
I guess I missed a lot by not stopping at Tombstone

stanparker wrote:
Really good series, nice work.

Stan, thank you!

JimFox wrote:
Hey Sasha,

It's nice to have remote uncrowded places to shoot. #2 and 5 are my favorites from here.

Jim

Jim, thank you!

lionking wrote:
I prefer the 2 and 4, looks like a cool location to explore...

Andrey

Andrey, thanks for the comment! Now, #2 seems to be popular.
I like it myself, but that's actually three shots combined with luminosity masks.

Sasha.

And here is a close-up of distant rocks, as promised:

© Lumiscience 2014

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:15 AM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Chiricahua NM

The number of (relatively) under explored opportunities in AZ is impressive. Every time I see an image of Horseshoe Bend with the stereotypical stitched wide-angle view I roll my eyes and move on instantly. Places like this can be a joy. I kind of wish the light was softer and falling the other way. A lot of the rocks seem to be back lit with nothing to catch the light and direct it the other way. That lichen can really light up at sunset, particularly on somewhat reddish rocks. The lit trees in the last one look really sweet, I just wish they were a more important part of the image.

Jun 11, 2014 at 02:24 AM
Justin Grimm
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Chiricahua NM

alatoo60 wrote:
Justin, place is fantastic. If these rocks were red, it would be overwhelming, but gray with lichen looks cool. Yes, I do have close-up of the distant rocks, please see below.

Perhaps a bit too close up for me I was thinking maybe a pano of the middle 50% in shot #2. That way you would get that nice light and layers of hills in the back to be more prominent, and omit the tree and bushes in the foreground to simplify the scene. Just throwing ideas out there. Your shots are already nice.

GroovyGeek wrote:
The number of (relatively) under explored opportunities in AZ is impressive. Every time I see an image of Horseshoe Bend with the stereotypical stitched wide-angle view I roll my eyes and move on instantly.

I know right! Why would anyone want to see a perfect river bend surrounded by 1000 foot sandstone cliffs, that is less then a 5 minute walk from a parking lot, which is just outside of a nice town. What a waste of time!!!

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:35 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Chiricahua NM

GroovyGeek wrote:
The number of (relatively) under explored opportunities in AZ is impressive. Every time I see an image of Horseshoe Bend with the stereotypical stitched wide-angle view I roll my eyes and move on instantly.

As I see it, places like Horseshoe, Tombstone, and Jackalope Canyon do the world a favor by attracting the Thundering Herds that might otherwise summon the necessary curiosity to go exploring on their own. This effect keeps the less well known places relatively uncrowded and quiet. A small part of me cries whenever I see Yet Another Antelope Light Beam shot, but when I realize that this means I can explore Waterholes, CheeryCows, etc. without fear of being trampled to death, I suddenly feel a lot happier!

Another observation in the same vein is that virtually everyone who goes to HSB shoots the same bleeping shot from the same bleeping vantage point. Heaven forbid they walk ~1/4 mile north or south to gain a fresh perspective. No, people already 'know' what HSB looks like because, hey, they've seen all the pictures! Weird. Same with Jackalope; "I want to shoot the light beams!" People are just so weird!

Jun 11, 2014 at 03:35 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Chiricahua NM

Greg Campbell wrote:
As I see it, places like Horseshoe, Tombstone, and Jackalope Canyon do the world a favor by attracting the Thundering Herds that might otherwise summon the necessary curiosity to go exploring on their own. This effect keeps the less well known places relatively uncrowded and quiet. A small part of me cries whenever I see Yet Another Antelope Light Beam shot, but when I realize that this means I can explore Waterholes, CheeryCows, etc. without fear of being trampled to death, I suddenly feel a lot happier!

Another observation in the same vein is that virtually everyone who
...Show more

Greg,
I tend to agree with you, but still, once in a while there is a new way to look at the old subject so I always check posts with overly popular locations, just in case

Sasha.

Jun 15, 2014 at 05:23 PM
savingspaces
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Chiricahua NM

I like how sharp they look! What are are you shooting with nowadays?

Jun 15, 2014 at 11:42 PM
RogerAure
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Chiricahua NM

Chiricahua is an awesome place, been there many times myself and well worth exploring.

Great job on the images!

Roger

Jun 16, 2014 at 12:01 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Chiricahua NM

Nice series! I like #2 + 6 best.

Jun 16, 2014 at 04:31 AM
tjny
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Chiricahua NM

Wonderful set enjoyed them all, 2, 4, 5 and 6 my favorites.

Jun 16, 2014 at 08:50 PM
bktools
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Chiricahua NM

Hi Sasha,

Great perspectives that brought back fine memories of my first and only visit there in 1963. Glad to know the place is still a less visited area in the NPS system, probably in part because it's still called a Monument rather than a Park.

Keep up the good work.

Bob

Jun 16, 2014 at 10:44 PM
azbill
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Chiricahua NM

Very nice images, love the Chiris. I heard they are waiving admission fees through the summer to encourage visitation.

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:04 AM
Greg Campbell
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Chiricahua NM

azbill wrote:
Very nice images, love the Chiris. I heard they are waiving admission fees through the summer to encourage visitation.

Free camping too! Anyone up for some monsoon storm and lightning skies?

Jun 17, 2014 at 12:47 AM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Chiricahua NM

nice set

Jun 18, 2014 at 06:32 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.