Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

Sneakyracer
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

This lens just killed the 10-22mm. Good job Canon, a better lens at a lower price. Love it.

Jun 10, 2014 at 01:04 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

I have the 11-22 and it is an excellent lens.

Jun 10, 2014 at 05:47 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

Sneakyracer wrote:
This lens just killed the 10-22mm. Good job Canon, a better lens at a lower price. Love it.

The MTF charts look close between the two optics with the 10-18 edging out the 10-22 here and there. So maybe slightly better IQ if production CQ is consistent. Of course the 10-18 lacks the 19-22 range and has an even slower aperture. I use the 10-22 a lot at 22 so I'd certainly miss the range. I haven't touched a 10-18 yet but if the build quality is similar to the 18-55 STM it's gonna feel and look cheap compared to the 10-22. I see the 10-18 as more of a budget alternative to the 10-22, sort of like the 18-55 3.5-5.6 IS STM vs 17-55 2.8 IS USM: both are very good optically but you can choose better build, a little more zoom range and faster aperture if needed.

Jun 10, 2014 at 06:51 PM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

it will not kill the 10-22. it has much worse vignetting, with over one stop at f8.. we dont know about flare yet. built is not as good. it does not have usm focusing, but slower stm. it has more limited range,. It is slower. Will it cause a drop in the used prices for the 10-22? sure. but at 400 used, the 10-22 will still be choice for some people.

Jun 10, 2014 at 08:49 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

I think most people see STM as the new thing and thus superior to USM. However, if you're mainly a still shooter ring-type USM with internal focus, like the 10-22 USM, is a lot faster. However, if you're mainly a week video buff--don't know how to follow focus manually--STM is a big deal as it's smooth, slow and step less, making for smooth pulls. The 10-22 has very distinct steps in the focus so it shutters when used with the the pokey contrast focus on DSLR video. Worse yet, the build-in mic picks up a high pitched laugh-like stutter from the 10-22! Of course most people focus manually or use an outboard mic and/or audio recorder but the market the 10-18 is aimed at will use the built-in mic and AF.

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:07 PM
jim bennett
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

So if a Canon lens has STM, it cannot have USM correct? The STM lenses came out after I stopped following Canon very closely but I loved my USM equipped lenses.

Jun 10, 2014 at 09:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

One thing for people to consider when comparing with the 10-22- it's getting you IS, video-viable STM (I use my 11-22 for this effectively, despite having the EOS-M and not M2), along with significantly lighter weight and smaller size.

So it may not be a direct replacement for the older lens, but if you had to choose, the 10-22 has now become a very hard sell. Essentially, the argument for the 10-22 has become largely moot as the prices for full-frame bodies have dropped, where putting that much capital into a crop lens that's primarily used for landscapes just doesn't make much sense, as a 6D + 17-40L will give significantly better results than the best Canon APS-C sensor behind the 10-22 for not a significantly greater investment.

So it will likely wind up replacing the 10-22 for crop users, which will likely be discontinued once shelf and part supplies are reasonably exhausted.

For my part, paring this lens with an SL1, the new STM kit, and the new STM telezoom would make a very light-weight yet highly versatile package.

And I'd also like to see a definitive test on STM lenses versus USM lenses, and no, the pancake doesn't count- it has STM to keep it's build small, and is recognized as not being terribly fast or quiet- which is the 'hallmark' of STM. I'm betting that in use, STM lenses will not be detrimentally slower focusing than USM lenses, if they're slower at all.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:37 PM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

jim bennett wrote:
So if a Canon lens has STM, it cannot have USM correct? The STM lenses came out after I stopped following Canon very closely but I loved my USM equipped lenses.

They are as exclusive as having a DC motor, micro-USM, or full USM, yes. STM replaces USM for the low-end, though we haven't seen a non-budget STM lens yet- they may show up in the Cinema line at some point, given that Canon is porting the 70D's DPAF technology to the Cinema bodies through an inexpensive paid upgrade ($500). Given that the Cinema cameras are all APS-C (Super35 in video terms), Canon is already touting compatibility with the available STM lenses for Cinema use, though obviously shallow depth of field effects aren't in play.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:40 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

I recently shot several hours of video using my 70D and 10-22, 15-85 IS USM and 18-135 STM and expected contrast AF with the USM zooms to be underwhelming. Oddly enough--unlike the 10-22--the 15-85 focused fast and smooth as silk and with no audible noises or visual stuttering. I repeat, the camera mic didn't pick up any focus noise. The main difference between the 15-85 and STM lens is speed: 15-85 focus acquisition is so fast it's distracting--zap and it's sharp--whereas the 18-135 STM I borrowed eases into focus in a relaxed liquid motion.

What I learned is I prefer my 15-85 over the 18-135 STM and if I need slow focus effects I'll do it manually.

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:59 AM
johnctharp
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

Actually, the camera mic usually doesn't pic up focus noise from most zooms- the AF module is usually buried deeper within the lens, and is further away from the camera body, than it would be in a prime.

And the most annoying noise I've heard from a lens through the camera body mike was the IS on my 24/2.8; incessant clicking that could be heard over gunfire at a range. Bought a top-mounting external mic right quick.

Jun 11, 2014 at 06:20 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

I got the lens. its not very small. It is excellent on the a6000. I did a set of test shots, but did not realize I was shooting at 12Mp only in jpeg. but the prelim results are very very good. I will do a formal test tomorrow probably and start a thread, comparing it to canon.
IMG_6073 by kevindar, on Flickr

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:57 AM
zlatko
• •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Photozone review: Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 STM IS

Is this lens currently in stock anywhere in the USA? Seems to be sold out at the usual places.

Jun 18, 2014 at 04:47 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password