New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Sigma 50mm Art and 5D3 Focusing

tonytastic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma 50mm Art and 5D3 Focusing

Hey everyone,

I tried the Sigma 50mm ART with my 5D3 at the store and the center focus seems tack sharp; but the corner AF points couldn't focus properly (none of the images when focused at the corner turned out sharp). however, If i use Live View and focus, the corner turns out perfectly fine.

My question is, for anyone who owns the new Sigma 50mm ART and a 5D3, do you guys experience any issues getting tack sharp images using the corner AF points?

Thanks!
Tony

Jun 06, 2014 at 10:50 AM
stanj
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma 50mm Art and 5D3 Focusing

Works on mine.

Jun 06, 2014 at 12:16 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma 50mm Art and 5D3 Focusing

On the 5D3 not all AF points work the same with all lenses. Starting on page 79 of the 5D3 manual, Canon describes how the AF points perform with each Canon lens. Canon groups the lenses into groups A thru H. The bottom line is not all AF points are going to work equally well with a given lens. Some AF points may not be consistent with a specific lens. Some points will perform better with a given lens than other points. It is tough (without extensive testing) to see which group the 50A would fall into, but it would be very useful information.

Edited on Jun 09, 2014 at 09:58 PM · View previous versions

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:55 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma 50mm Art and 5D3 Focusing

What would also be cool is if the differences could be mapped and custom profiles could be generated and uploaded- wonder if ML has worked on that at all.

Jun 09, 2014 at 09:57 PM
MintMar
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma 50mm Art and 5D3 Focusing

On 61pt AF, only the middle column of five points (the center point, two above and below) have the top precision to focus the fast lenses. Any other point will be less precise.

Jun 10, 2014 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.