New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Shirt product photography

mirrels
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Shirt product photography

Hi all,

Is there anyone here with some experience photographing shirts / sweaters?

A client would like to have his shirts photographed like this:
http://www.wehkamp.nl/herenmode/t-shirts-polo/B22/248503/C22_2B8_B22_248503/

However I am not sure if there is some kind of mold used for these?

Thanks for the reply!

Eric.

Edited on Jun 16, 2014 at 01:08 AM · View previous versions

Jun 05, 2014 at 04:14 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Shirt product photography

First, please check and edit the thread title. Its current form, with a missing r, is scatological.

Second, one way of doing this involves using Photoshop to combine two exposures. The first is of the shirt put on a mannequin or torso form normally. The second is done with the shirt inside-out so the inside of the shirt, with labels and so on, shows. Then the two images are placed in layers, and a layer mask applied to reveal the amount of inside-out shirt that should show under the collar and neck-line of the regular-side-out layer.

Another option is to use special "Ghost Mannequin" or "Invisible Mannequin" forms, such as the one shown here:

http://www.clubmannakin.com/fashion/invisible-ghost-mannequin-photography/

Your sample Web page appears to have used a Ghost Mannequin, as I see a white object at the vee of the collar.

The advantage of the first method is that most of us already use photo-editing software like Photoshop, so there's no money to spend, only time and effort. You don't even need a mannequin; a live person can put on the shirt for both shots and be edited out later.

The advantage of the second method is that, while one must buy or rent a special mannequin, it's faster and easier to shoot.

Jun 05, 2014 at 04:17 AM
charlieboy
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Shirt product photography

Holy sheeeeeet!

Jun 05, 2014 at 05:33 PM
drzhao

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Shirt product photography

You could also use free templates as a basis from places like deviantart: http://theapparelguy.deviantart.com/art/Gildan-Style-Tee-Template-PSD-254103749

Jun 05, 2014 at 11:13 PM
24Peter
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Shirt product photography

Here's how I do it: http://greatproductshots.blogspot.com/2012/08/ghost-mannequin.html

Jun 06, 2014 at 07:16 PM
mirrels
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Shirt product photography

Wow, thanks all for the replies and I'm sorry for the late respond on my side. I have been away for a little while.

Anyway, BrianO those Invisible Ghost Mannequin are really interesting! Since I am going to have to do a lot of product shoots this way it might be a good idea to go for this approach. I mailed them to ask what it would cost to ship them to The Netherlands. We'll see.

Thanks to the other ppl as well! It's really interesting to read of your approaches to this!

P.s. I changed the title haha.

Jun 16, 2014 at 01:19 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Shirt product photography

mirrels wrote:
...those Invisible Ghost Mannequin are really interesting! Since I am going to have to do a lot of product shoots this way it might be a good idea to go for this approach. I mailed them to ask what it would cost to ship them to The Netherlands. We'll see.

If the purchase and shipping from that company proves to be cost prohibitive, getting a mannequin from someplace closer to home and then modifying it with a Dremel Moto-tool or similar rotary saw shouldn't be too difficult. If you were making the mannequins to sell it might be a patent infringement, but if you're making one for your own use it shouldn't be a problem.

Jun 16, 2014 at 05:30 AM
bosharpe

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Shirt product photography

Looks like it was shot on a ghost mannequin with two boxes from the front.

Jun 29, 2014 at 09:17 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.