New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Stationary Horse Photography

jacksonjon

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Stationary Horse Photography

Hey guys,

I want to get my sister (who can buy everything herself) something she will treasure as a present and that will be more meaningful to her.

She owns a horse and loves horse riding, so I am considering taking a picture of her horse and framing it for her birthday.

The horse is kept in a paddock not far from here and I was asking for your advice on the most suitable lens/way that you think would produce the best quailty result.

The picture I will take will then be printed on A3 sized paper, and put in a nice frame.

I currently own a Canon 7d, 50mm 1.8, 8-15mm Fishy and an 15-85 USM lens. Should I be considering hiring a lens for something that will be blown up? I was hoping for it to be inexpensive, but at the same time I want her to really love it.

Cheers

Jackson

Jun 04, 2014 at 08:32 PM
elliotkramer
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Stationary Horse Photography

Your equipment is more than adequate. Nice lighting, good exposure and the right moment are the key. Do you have a lot of experience as a photographer? If not, a lot of luck will also be necessary.

Jun 04, 2014 at 08:46 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Stationary Horse Photography

If you really want her to have a priceless memory to treasure forever, my suggestion is to hire this Australian photographer: http://ararat.photography/

If Bud isn't in your part of the country, he might know of someone who is. I appreciate that you want to do the portrait yourself. And you can probably do a good job that she will appreciate. But to make it timeless, you may want to consider Bud.

Jun 04, 2014 at 08:55 PM
bergenor
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Stationary Horse Photography

Im an amateur photographer and I'm a professional horse trainer....so,i take lots of horse photos.
Try to find out the breed of the horse because most breeds are/have some particular angles or tack or backgrounds etc etc etc....
if its just a pet,you don't need to worry about that,think that you are taking pics of a loved dog....
I shoot with a 7D too,so low ISO is a must.
I would not hire anyone,if she can afford,she can hire herself,thats a gift and i bet that she will like the gesture.
If you can/have a dark barn or stall,you can put/wait until the horse goes half ways in and half ways stays out in the sun,and you can take some cool pics with a dark background. Look on the Black and white forum,i posted a photo called Linda's Horse(she's australian lol) and you can have and idea of what I'm talking about it.
Good luck and have fun

Jun 04, 2014 at 09:26 PM
jacksonjon

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Stationary Horse Photography

bergenor wrote:
Im an amateur photographer and I'm a professional horse trainer....so,i take lots of horse photos.
Try to find out the breed of the horse because most breeds are/have some particular angles or tack or backgrounds etc etc etc....
if its just a pet,you don't need to worry about that,think that you are taking pics of a loved dog....
I shoot with a 7D too,so low ISO is a must.
I would not hire anyone,if she can afford,she can hire herself,thats a gift and i bet that she will like the gesture.
If you can/have a dark barn or stall,you can put/wait until the horse goes
...Show more

on the money bergenor! great comment, appreciated.

Jun 04, 2014 at 10:17 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Stationary Horse Photography

I shoot formal horse portraits at shows in the states, are you wanting a full body formal shot for your friend or more of a casual portrait-more of a head close up? for the formal full length shots, I typically us a 1d body with an 85mm lens so similar to a 7d with about a 65mm focal length. If you r doing that type, most breeds prefer the horse to be 3/4 angle and shoot from a low vantage point-I usually have camera about a foot to two feet off ground. you should have an assistant to set up the feet(square them) and to work with the horse so it is looking in the right direction and have ears at attention. If it's a casual portrait, then a longer lens works better, I would suggest a 135 or a 70-200 zoom.

Jun 04, 2014 at 10:35 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Stationary Horse Photography

trenchmonkey is a guru when it comes to equestrian photography, so why not shoot him a PM? You can also check out Matthew Seed's work to get some ideas, although he seems to rely pretty heavily on strobes.

Edited on Jun 05, 2014 at 12:02 PM · View previous versions

Jun 05, 2014 at 12:13 AM
bbourizk
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Stationary Horse Photography

friscoron wrote:
If you really want her to have a priceless memory to treasure forever, my suggestion is to hire this Australian photographer: http://ararat.photography/

If Bud isn't in your part of the country, he might know of someone who is. I appreciate that you want to do the portrait yourself. And you can probably do a good job that she will appreciate. But to make it timeless, you may want to consider Bud.

Thanks Ron,
We're only maybe a few thousand Km's apart .

One poster mentioned shooting the horse with a dark background behind him, Like a garage or a stall you would get beautiful light on him and he would stand out nicely.

good luck and show us some pics when your done.

Regards
Bud

Jun 05, 2014 at 09:00 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Stationary Horse Photography

I'll toss out an idea: I think the picture should be of not just the horse, but your sister and the horse.

Jun 05, 2014 at 11:04 AM
marklankton
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Stationary Horse Photography

One rule of thumb for horse photos is, use a longer lens when you have a choice. Shooting with 100 mm minimum gives more flattering results, and the 150-200mm range works really well. Wider angle shots are not kind to horses.
Mark

Jun 05, 2014 at 10:49 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Stationary Horse Photography

Listen to Mark - he's absolutely right. I like the 135 f2L. Camera position is crucial to composition. Be critical about her and the horse's presentation - clothing, saddle cloth and colour harmony with the green/brown surroundings. And be extra critical about the day(s) on which you shoot - look for beautiful light.

Jun 06, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Konablue
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Stationary Horse Photography

Be aware that some horses that may get nervous with someone nearby pointing a strange clicking object at them. I had to stop shooting one particular horse that was showing signs that it considered the camera to be a threat even though I was about 30 yards away. It was being ridden at the time and didn't like it when it would come around to my side of the pen while I was holding up a camera. I'm sure the large lens I was using at the time, a 300mm 2.8L wasn't helping.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:50 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.