Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       end
  

Canon 1DX for $4,999!
  
 
ponz924
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


Again - Canon 'will' service a gray market camera, within one year of purchase, if you provide a sales receipt.

Ponz



Jun 13, 2014 at 04:31 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


kzoockof wrote:
Buying a camera like this, ie. a Gray Market camera is no different than buying a used 1DX. Any used 1DX purchased is not officially covered under warranty by Canon.

So the risk with gray market is exactly the same as buying used - you are buying a camera that does NOT come with a warranty. Though in both cases, you have an equal chance that Canon may still service it and may even consider it so under warranty - though they have no legal obligation to doing so.

Often one sees "new" cameras for sale on the B&S boards, claiming to
...Show more

There are a few differences. Every time that I have bought a used lens or camera, the seller let my try it before I pay. Just so I can see it's working ok and doesn't have any faulths. And it's also a lot more frustrating if a brand new camera stop working after a couple of months than a 5 year old camera stops working. Especially if you have bought Canons most expensive body



Jun 13, 2014 at 06:39 PM
mitesh
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


If an individual wanted to take advantage of an offer like this that may (or may not) have some level of risk with respect to warranty, perhaps a good idea would be to have the item insured under a personal articles policy. While this may not be an option in all locales, it would be an option for many US buyers. The cost of the policy premium would be substantially less than the difference in the price between an authorized Canon version and this particular ebay offer. Since the insurers cover repairs to equipment that's second-hand and out-of-warranty, you could effectively shift the risk onto them (not necessarily without consequences such as increased premiums, of course) in case you did need to have the item repaired or replaced.

Just a thought



Jun 13, 2014 at 07:19 PM
Focus Locus
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


Suppose a well heeled Japanese tourist came to visit Disneyland in Los Angeles, and brought his family, and his favorite camera of choice... a brand new 1DX that he just purchased at his local camera store in Japan prior to his trip.

This would clearly not be a "Canon USA" product.

Now, suppose the shutter jams on his 98th click, rendering his 1DX useless. If he were so inclined, wouldn't he be able to take the very short trip in his rental car over to Canon's Factory Service Center in Irvine CA, and ask them to fix his less than one month new, less than 100 shutter click non USA camera under warranty?

Would he have to have brought his receipt from the Japanese camera store with him?

Is not Canon's warranty world wide?

Is not taking pictures nearly synonymous with traveling?




Jun 14, 2014 at 05:59 AM
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


Focus Locus wrote:
Is not Canon's warranty world wide?


All I know is that Canon, and particularly CPS, are often highly territorial.

To answer your question, and it is a purely uneducated speculation, but your tourist would be at mercy of my favourite thing in the world - arbitrariness.



Jun 14, 2014 at 08:18 AM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


Focus Locus wrote:
Suppose a well heeled Japanese tourist came to visit Disneyland in Los Angeles, and brought his family, and his favorite camera of choice... a brand new 1DX that he just purchased at his local camera store in Japan prior to his trip.

This would clearly not be a "Canon USA" product.

Now, suppose the shutter jams on his 98th click, rendering his 1DX useless. If he were so inclined, wouldn't he be able to take the very short trip in his rental car over to Canon's Factory Service Center in Irvine CA, and ask them to fix his less than one
...Show more

But does the tourist from Japan like to stay one or two weks in Irvine and wait for his camera?



Jun 15, 2014 at 04:14 PM
Focus Locus
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


Lars Johnsson wrote:
But does the tourist from Japan like to stay one or two weks in Irvine and wait for his camera?


Most of the MANY times I've dropped off equipment at Irvine in the morning, I've picked it up late that afternoon, or the next day. The longest I had to wait was three days, and at least one of those days was due to shipping, because I left the area and had them ship it to a different city. I don't live anywhere near LA, but I used to work there quite often, and would build in a visit to Irvine as part of my routine.

That being said, I also very much like H&K in Tustin, the town next door, which Canon Irvine sometimes sends stuff to that Canon can't fix. A couple months ago, after flying down there to shoot a job at the very same destination my hypothetical Japanese tourist came to visit, I drove my rental car from the SNA airport directly to H&K, dropping in on a surprise visit with no appointment, to have an issue looked at while I waited. In less than an hour, got it resolved, and continued on to my shoot at Disneyland.

I tell this story to illustrate another option with gray market Canons: There are other repair facilities besides Canon USA. A repair facility is only as good as the specific TECHNICIAN who is tearing apart the camera. At H&K, for example, I know who that technician is. He has maintained my older gear, that Canon won't service anymore, for the last 10 years.

Anyway, I would think that a brand new 1DX problem occurring within the first year SHOULD be addressed by Canon USA Service Centers, for all of Canon's customers, worldwide. If this is not the case, I'd like to know about it.






Jun 15, 2014 at 10:39 PM
dehowie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


Having been in that very situation with a 1DMk2n jammed on a 500F4 on the other side of the world CPS where awesome.
Canon is a worldwide company and do realize people may in fact travel out of there home country and consider taking a Canon camera with them.
Most dont bother to take receipts..
Just imagine the furore when you turn up at the Brazilian office of CPS covering the world cup to be asked to prove you bought your 1Dx in Brazil or they would not service or repair it..lol.
Ridiculous..



Jun 16, 2014 at 01:08 AM
josh_jordan
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


I'd buy one...I might do it just to document my experience...haha


Jun 16, 2014 at 01:48 AM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


dehowie wrote:
Having been in that very situation with a 1DMk2n jammed on a 500F4 on the other side of the world CPS where awesome.
Canon is a worldwide company and do realize people may in fact travel out of there home country and consider taking a Canon camera with them.
Most dont bother to take receipts..
Just imagine the furore when you turn up at the Brazilian office of CPS covering the world cup to be asked to prove you bought your 1Dx in Brazil or they would not service or repair it..lol.
Ridiculous..


They will repair it for a CPS member. I have done that many times. But the average tourist is not a CPS member covering the World Cup.
I also rather shure they will travel to Brazil with a few camera bodies.

If you look at your CPS membership you can see in writing that it's not world wide membership. Mine is for Europe. Or most of Europe because it's not all European countries. CPS is also very different in different continents. In US they pay to be a member. In Europe it's free.


Edited on Jun 16, 2014 at 04:39 AM · View previous versions



Jun 16, 2014 at 04:23 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


Focus Locus wrote:
Most of the MANY times I've dropped off equipment at Irvine in the morning, I've picked it up late that afternoon, or the next day. The longest I had to wait was three days, and at least one of those days was due to shipping, because I left the area and had them ship it to a different city. I don't live anywhere near LA, but I used to work there quite often, and would build in a visit to Irvine as part of my routine.

That being said, I also very much like H&K in Tustin, the town next
...Show more

You can leave the camera and get it repaired at any Canon service center in the world. But you have to pay when they repair it. You don't get any world wide warranty for the first year. If you are a CPS member they will maybe repair it for free out of goodwill. But it's not sure.

A camera I bought in Europe or Asia will not have a warranty in USA.
Many people in Sweden buy from B&H and Adorama because they have a lower price. Canon Sweden don't honor those warranties. And you have to pay for the repair. Or send it to Canon USA



Jun 16, 2014 at 04:34 AM
Methodical
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


I will continue to wait them out for the 1Dx. The 1DxII will be coming soon. Haha!


Jun 18, 2014 at 02:06 PM
jonmason
Offline

Account locked
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


great price


Jun 28, 2014 at 06:37 PM
kzoockof
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


Lars Johnsson wrote:
There are a few differences. Every time that I have bought a used lens or camera, the seller let my try it before I pay. Just so I can see it's working ok and doesn't have any faulths. And it's also a lot more frustrating if a brand new camera stop working after a couple of months than a 5 year old camera stops working. Especially if you have bought Canons most expensive body


My reference was on these B&S boards. One does not hold a camera in hand and test it, they pm the seller, strike a deal and hope the camera first arrives, then proves to be as advertised.

The camera advertised has a lower price than the 1DX camera's listed on the B&S boards, so why would buying an even more expensive body than this one, bother you less when or if it were to stop working?

There are a heck of a lot more protections on eBay with buyer protection with a purchase like this one, than there are on here. I just don't see why anybody looking for a used 1DX (included those sold here as "new" but not by a Canon dealer) would not just assume buy a brand new one, for less money when whichever camera (used, new but not by dealer or this eBay example) are ALL sold without a formal Canon warranty.

In every single case referenced in this thread about Canon servicing bodies, that were not purchased from a Canon authorized US retailer, by the person who needs repair, Canon is doing so out of their "goodness" and are NOT obligated to do so under the terms of their warranty. Just because people have succeeded, doesn't mean it is guaranteed. Also, I have heard of many, many people having their "gray market" bodies serviced by Canon under "warranty". I would never assume that a used body, a "new, but not by Canon dealer" or a "gray market eBay" purchase is going to be covered under warranty. I would hope or pray it would, but I would buy the camera on the premise that there is NO warranty and hope for the best in both not needing warranty and if I would, that I would be lucky that Canon out of their "goodness" would service it.



Jun 29, 2014 at 08:44 PM
Shutterbug2006
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #15 · p.4 #15 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


http://bit.ly/1iRTyaJ


Jun 30, 2014 at 04:17 AM
Paul Mo
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #16 · p.4 #16 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


kzoockof wrote:
The camera advertised has a lower price than the 1DX camera's listed on the B&S boards, so why would buying an even more expensive body than this one, bother you less when or if it were to stop working?


I suspect some people are miffed they paid so much initially. Understandable, I guess.




Jun 30, 2014 at 06:08 AM
bipock
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #17 · p.4 #17 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


I called and spoke to them. It is a grey market camera body. The warranty advertised replaces the Canon warranty, or so said the rep. Personally, it sounded strange to me so I used the 42nd st contact from earlier in the thread and am having a US version overnighted to me for $6200, saving $600 from B&H or Adorama.


Jun 30, 2014 at 05:45 PM
panicatnabisco
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #18 · p.4 #18 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


Just a heads up, its up at $4,999.99 again from AllNewShop . Just placed my order earlier today.


Jul 15, 2014 at 06:26 PM
Suyash
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #19 · p.4 #19 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


I am want to buy it. Cannot PM you yet. Please email me- suyashkeshari96@gmail.com


Jul 23, 2014 at 06:35 PM
Focus Locus
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #20 · p.4 #20 · Canon 1DX for $4,999!


panicatnabisco wrote:
Just a heads up, its up at $4,999.99 again from AllNewShop . Just placed my order earlier today.


From AllNewShop's most recent feedback (posted within the last 30 days):

NEGATIVE feedback:

Canon 1Dx supposed to be NEW, Came 100% USED ~5000 shutter count. Bloody annoying

Buyer: e***d (181 Teal star)

Past 1 month

Item: Canon EOS 1D X Digital SLR Camera (Body Only). Canon 1Dx Full Frame DSLR. NEW (#301209507748)

Current price: US $5419.99



POSITIVE feedback

Very good to deal with. No problems.

Buyer: t***6 (29 Yellow star)

Past 1 month

Item: Canon EOS 1D X Digital SLR Camera (Body Only). Canon 1Dx Full Frame DSLR. NEW (#301209507748)

Price: US $5,499.99


So it is a 50 50 gamble on the 1DX sales.




Sep 02, 2014 at 11:59 PM
1       2       3      
4
       5       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
4
       5       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password