Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

RadioPopper JrX Question

BSPhotog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · RadioPopper JrX Question

I am currently shopping for off camera triggers and was considering the RadioPopper JrX line as an option. Does anyone know, to use the adjustable dials with speedlights, do the speedlights need to be TTL compatible? I was considering some YN-560 III's as off camera slaves and was concerned that I wouldn't be able to adjust levels. I haven't found anything yet that really answers this, so I am hoping someone with some experience can help me out!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Jun 04, 2014 at 09:38 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · RadioPopper JrX Question

yes, it does. If the flash is a single-pin type, then the power has to be set on the flash itself

Jun 06, 2014 at 11:38 AM
BSPhotog
• •
p.1 #3 · RadioPopper JrX Question

timbop wrote:
yes, it does. If the flash is a single-pin type, then the power has to be set on the flash itself

Thanks! That was my suspicion, but I was having difficulty finding it in writing. I'm weighing the many options for wireless triggers for off camera speedlights and wanted to make sure I understood the compatibility correctly. I like the adjustable output from the camera, but I'd kind-of like to be able to have an on-camera flash as well. I shoot with a D7000 & D7100, so no PC Sync port. Some of this stuff is making my head spin!

Jun 07, 2014 at 12:05 AM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #4 · RadioPopper JrX Question

I think the jrx system will require both an ett-l flash and the radio popper "rp cube" in order to adjust levels from the transmitter. I have this set up and find it a bit less than ideal. (but I love it for the buff monos). the knobs on the jrx transmitter don't have detents so it can be hard to return to a mid point level.

if you have ett-l speedlights, consider the yn-622 (n). assuming your camera body has level setting control functions.
if not, there are many cheaper simple triggers.

hth

Jun 07, 2014 at 01:55 AM
BSPhotog
• •
p.1 #5 · RadioPopper JrX Question

gpop wrote:
I think the jrx system will require both an ett-l flash and the radio popper "rp cube" in order to adjust levels from the transmitter. I have this set up and find it a bit less than ideal. (but I love it for the buff monos). the knobs on the jrx transmitter don't have detents so it can be hard to return to a mid point level.

if you have ett-l speedlights, consider the yn-622 (n). assuming your camera body has level setting control functions.
if not, there are many cheaper simple triggers.

hth

Have you used the YN-622? I looked at them, but thought it looked a bit cumbersome to adjust levels. You mentioned level controls in camera--would the in-camera flash compensation level adjust the output of the wireless units with the Yongnuos? What about if there was my SB900 on top of a yn-622n on my camera's hotshoe...would it be impacted?

Jun 07, 2014 at 02:13 AM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #6 · RadioPopper JrX Question

I use the yn622(c) for the canon system, and have no experience with the nikon system. so I can't really comment on how it'll work with your body/speedlights. but here's a long winded reply just for the fun of it. (:

>>>would the in-camera flash compensation level adjust the output of the wireless units with the Yongnuos?<<<

I think that in general, the speedlight needs to have what-ever function already built in, so a non-ettl speedlight will never behave as if it was ettl capable.....and any basic speedlight that you could not set the levels of from an in-camera body menu won't get that ability just because it's mounted to a 622.

I think there are some differences in how nikon vs canon systems deal with fec, so I'm really not sure how to answer your question. what I can say is that in most cases (with fully capable body/speedights) the yn622s seem invisible to me. any flash related setting I have the option of from the camera body menu will work. fec, high speed sync, ett-l, second curtain and so on. I'm not sure how your system will behave if your setting power levels from the camera body menu (not ett-l) and then dial in FEC.

>>>What about if there was my SB900 on top of a yn-622n on my camera's hotshoe...would it be impacted?<<<

the speedlight mounted to the yn622 (on the body, or more accurately the one in transmit mode*) will always be in group A.

(the fallowing is just babble)

I have a mix of camera bodies with different levels of on-body flash control.
but I've found there are a few work-around bits you can take advantage of:

you can have the 622 run in "mix-mode" so that the speedlight mounted to the 622-on-body can run in ettl, while other speedlight groups are manually set. but I have no idea how nikons system will handle this.

(*)one cute thing I've found about the yn622 is that it'll always use the last settings it was told to use unless you've told it to do something different-

that is to say that from my canon 1d3 body (with full on body flash level setting menu) I can set the power for each group or even just use ettl (on some speedlights you can dial in fec for that unique speedlight from its own menu) and after a shot I can remove the 622 transmitter from the body, mount it to a basic radio trigger receiver (yn rf-602 in my case, or any camera body with a dead simple hot shoe) and then trigger the the 622 from the 602 and the 622 will keep repeating what ever the camera body menu settings was. this is very handy if I want to trigger the 622s from a different body (any brand!) even if that body doesn't have any of the functions built in. such as a very old canon, a fuji, or even some old nikon film body I don't even know the name of. I can take a shot from the canon body with manual body exposure settings in ettl, then use some prehistoric body with the same exposure settings and the speedlights will retain whatever ettl settings the first camera body set.

the pc port on the 622 will have trigger-only ability, any level settings or ettl must go into the hot shoe foot on the transmit unit, or be mounted to the hot shoe on any receive unit (622 magically determines if they're 'spose to transmit or receive, and they get it right). but the last-setting rule from above still applies for 622 shoe mounted speedlights.

the focus assist light from the 622 is very nice. projects a grid rather than a bright illumination lamp.

hope some of this will answer your questions. I really like the radio popper system and use it for studio strobes, but I personally find the 622s far better for any speedlight control, and they cost less as well. the radio poppers use some odd-ball battery that I've never found a good rechargeable set up for that I'm really happy with, while the 622s use plain old AA batteries.

someone put together a comprehensive user handbook to replace the laughable one supplied by yongnuo. it's for the canon variant, but give it a look...
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA/edit?pli=1

Jun 07, 2014 at 06:33 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

BSPhotog
• •
p.1 #7 · RadioPopper JrX Question

gpop -
Thanks so much for taking the time to give such an thorough reply. The Yongnuo literature is atrocious and I don't expect any help there, but maybe this third-party handbook might give some insight. I think I am skeptical about the YN622n's because of their cost. I was worried that it was too good to be true. It is too bad I waited around as I missed someone selling 3 of them for $90 on the Buy/Sell forum here!

The Yongnuo seems like my top contender. I am still shopping for two more speedlights, so I wanted to make sure that I make the right decision for my needs. Ideally I'll have one on-camera flash and two on stands for shooting events in dark or dim spaces. I'd also like to be able to easily switch that arrangement out for two on stands and one on a light stick or one on a stand and one on a light stick.

I now need to scare up a deal on a pair of speedlights to use with these. Or maybe Cactus will release the v6 before I finish writing this post....

Jun 07, 2014 at 07:59 AM
kenyee
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · RadioPopper JrX Question

Lots of confusing info in this thread.
The JrX Studios need an RPCube and old analog TTL flashes that support the Quench pin. Your best bet for flashes for these are Nikon SB28's.

The YN622's and Cactus V6's need the newer e-TTL flashes AFAIK. The e-TTL flashes are generally more expensive.

Jun 10, 2014 at 01:49 AM
BSPhotog
• •
p.1 #9 · RadioPopper JrX Question

Yeah, that's what I discovered after much more reading. I placed an order for 3 Cactus v6 transceivers and two RF60 wireless flashes made by Cactus. This setup (theoretically) ticks all of the boxes of things I wanted. I will be able to put a transceiver on top of both of my camera bodies to dual shoot and trigger the two RF60s on lights stands. I will also be able to use the TTL passthrough and put my SB900 on top of either of the v6 transceivers on the cameras. I will also have a spare transceiver to use my SB900 off camera as well, either on its own or on a light stick with an assistant. I'll also have the ability to control flash output from either camera and add virtually any flash in the future. On paper it looks good, so hopefully it will be the answer! I'm new to this and this product is new enough that there aren't many (any??) true third-party reviews from people who have put the system to work. v5 users seem mostly pretty satisfied (v2 not so much, but they've come a long way it seems). I'll report back once it arrives from Hong Kong and I get a chance to test it out!

Jun 10, 2014 at 02:14 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · RadioPopper JrX Question

Subscribing to this thread, and awaiting your review BSPhotog.

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:18 PM
kaplah

p.1 #11 · RadioPopper JrX Question

BSPhotog wrote:
RadioPopper JrX line as an option.

While the OP has already purchased, for those considering JrX, the new Jr2 came out today.

Same idea, easier to operate precisely, compatible with the PX system, etc.

http://www.radiopopper.com/#!jr2/c12g4

Jun 12, 2014 at 01:55 AM
BSPhotog
• •
p.1 #12 · RadioPopper JrX Question

I haven't had the time yet to put the system through its paces yet, but I can give some initial impressions.

I got my box of good shipped from Hong Kong to rural Washington state in less than a week with the FedEx shipping option. It was reasonably well packed and everything arrived in tact. The packaging for the equipment is all fairly high brow and is visually striking. This isn't something that matters much at the end of the day, but presentation does make a difference--especially when buying somewhat off-brand electronics.
http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/cactus-v6-rf60-wireless-flash-transceiver-advanced-kit-a.html

v6
I got 3 v6 transceivers. They each take 2 AA batteries and are pretty intuitive to set up and use. The output controls for each of four channels are adjusted with a single thumb wheel. Roll the wheel to adjust all channels or press and hold the channel you'd like to adjust and roll the wheel. It doesn't get much easier. The JrX (or so I have read) uses a dial with no indentations for reference of how much exposure you are adding or removing. This thumb wheel has indentations, similar to how the AC3 zone controller works with the PW system (or at least how my reading leads me to believe that it works on the AC3.). The v6 transceivers use a thumb lever to attach to the hot shoe with a lock pin to hold in place. This makes them easy to mount atop your camera and easy to remove as well. Thus far they seem to be secure. I tested a v6 on top of my d7000 with my big heavy SB900 on top. loaded with batteries and a Rogue flashbender. Everything was solid and secure and the i-TTL pass-through worked as advertised.

RF60
These flashes have been around a little longer than the v6 system, but were made to function together. They are a little smaller in size than my SB900 and the build quality is definitely lower, but there are some clear advantages. For starters, my whole Cactus kit with 3 v6 transceivers and 2 RF60 wireless flashes costs about $100 less (shipped) than the MSRP of my SB900 when it was new. Holy crap! Okay, so cost is a big plus. Another is that there is no need to tie up any wireless hardware on the flashes. The benefit here is cost again, but it makes mounting these flashes easier and more secure. There is a 1/4-20 mounting hole on the side of the flash body to mount on a light stand easily and securely. The v6's also have the same threaded mounting points on their bottoms, but it would then rely on the hot shoe on top to hold any other flash. My SB900 appeared to be secure on top of the v6, but the RF60 felt more secure as it is just once piece with a threaded mounting point.

Kit
The v6 and RF60s work together pretty effortlessly. I simply set two of the v6s to "TX" for transmit and set my RF60s to the same channel as the v6s. I mounted a v6 on each of my cameras and was able to start shooting. Each v6 can set the flash compensation for each flash group independently, so if I am shooting with a 1.8 lens on one body wide open and another stopped down lens on the other camera, I can adjust lighting accordingly for each. I am excited to set up these lights on stands and really play with this!

Okay, well, that is the extent of my first glance. I'll report back when I have some better first hand knowledge about these products. That said, I have a good feeling about the v6 setup. My only complaint thus far is about the battery doors--yuck! The build on the v6 transceivers and the RF60 flashes is a maybe a B-, but the battery doors on both are D+. They work, but wow do they feel like some cheap plastic crap! Maybe that is good, though. I'll definitely be careful how I handle the battery doors. Hopefully they hold up, but time will tell.

Jun 14, 2014 at 03:38 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password