New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Processed 16-35/4L IS Samples from CanonRumors

johnctharp
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Processed 16-35/4L IS Samples from CanonRumors

Processed to my liking here

Source details for the original photos, of which the RAWs can be downloaded as I did to process them above, can be found here

Jun 04, 2014 at 11:26 AM
wordfool
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Processed 16-35/4L IS Samples from CanonRumors

your verdict? To me the corners look pretty good wide open with smearing visible only in the very extremes of some of the shots with pavement in the foreground. I also didn't see much in the way of vignetting, but it's hard to tell from this type of shot. Also hard to tell if distortion is any greater than the 16-35 II, but it looks OK to my eyes.

Jun 04, 2014 at 12:43 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Processed 16-35/4L IS Samples from CanonRumors

My verdict is that the lens is essentially perfect. I processed the files through LR 5.4, but without any lens corrections as it is not yet supported by Adobe, and without any manual vignetting, distortion, or CA corrections as I didn't want to guess.

My goal was to see how the files responded to near-excessive processing to expose any usability issues, to which I honestly found none for my amateur-level use. I'm expecting the lens to make an excellent alternative to the 14-24/2.8G if the user doesn't need the widest end, and for those that can afford it it is absolutely a replacement for the 17-40L. It's certainly far better corrected than the 16-35/2.8L II, which relegates that lens largely to it's primary PJ use.

And from what I can tell, the lens has the color rendition, contrast, and CA control that I'd want in an ultra-wide zoom, and from the provided files, appears to mate perfectly with the 6D. I expect it to be the new standard in Canon landscape/architecture zooms, without a doubt edging out the Nikon lens on a G-EF adapter, and the excellent but flare-prone and hard to filter Tokina 16-28/2.8.

Jun 04, 2014 at 03:08 PM
MaximeTrepreau
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Processed 16-35/4L IS Samples from CanonRumors

Thx for the samples.
Looks good to me.

Jun 04, 2014 at 03:15 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Processed 16-35/4L IS Samples from CanonRumors

looks pretty good and not much vignetting wide open even on FF.

Jun 04, 2014 at 04:52 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Processed 16-35/4L IS Samples from CanonRumors

looks like a solid WA zoom.. might have to pick one up.

Jun 04, 2014 at 07:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.