Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

hernanGarg

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Hi guys how are you? it's my first time that i post a topic asking for some advices. I would like to introduce me on architecture photography, so would like to buy a tilt shift lens. My pocket it's a bit limited to buy nikon version. I'm from Argentina and here all is 25-30% more expensive, that's the reason i see samyang with good eyes.

Would it be a good choice?

Jun 04, 2014 at 07:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

I have the Canon TS-E 24/3.5L II, but I have been watching threads about the Samyang TS 24/3.5 with interest. My overall conclusion is that the Samyang has image quality more-or-less the same as the Canon TS-E 24/3.5L Mk I, while the Canon Mk II is a lot better (and more expensive). Here's some threads from the Canon forum,

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1210229

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1270204
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1249177
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1214354

As far as price and 'good choice' goes, it's difficult to say. Many people used the Canon Mk I for many years with great results, and so there's no reason you can't get great results from the Samyang. I think it probably makes sense to get a new Samyang rather than a used Canon Mk I, because you at least have a warranty with the Samyang.

Jun 04, 2014 at 08:31 AM
hernanGarg

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Thank you for your reply, i'd read all of them. I've been navigating on web but i didn't find so much information. It's not a premium lens, it doesn't deliver the best IQ wide open, so i think people try to go with Nikon/Canon lens. But the true is that on Nikon, i've to save 2000-2400U$s to buy NEW (on ARG), and i don't see so much used here.

Jun 04, 2014 at 08:44 AM
hernanGarg

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Anybody else could help me?

Jun 04, 2014 at 12:18 PM
eosfun
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Some of the Samyang lenses have an exceptional price performance ratio. The 24TS is criticized for being hardly competitive with second hand lenses with one of the A-brand TS lenses more than it's optical performance or mechanical construction. It's price performance ratio isn't as exceptional like for instance a 14mm/2.8 or an 85/1.4 Samyang. How I understand how market propositions in your country Argentina this is totally different from Europe or the US. A saving of 2000-2400US $ is substantial. In my book this price gap would be a no brainer. Optically you won't regret the Samyang, it's really not as bad as you think from the reviews. It's just that the benchmark lens the Canon 24TS-E mkII is extraordinary. But that one would not fit your Nikon body anyway is it? There's hardly an affordable substitute for Tilt and Shift options, unless you are willing to adapt second hand medium format glass. That could be an area of research for you if you want a budget alternative solution.

Jun 04, 2014 at 01:00 PM
hernanGarg

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

hey EOS ! thank for your time ! I've been searching and i found a lot of reviews that, like you say, mark the ts-e mkII like the best one for this purpose, it's quite expensive, but you got what you pay in this case.

I'd have no problem to adapt and medium format lens, but i'd have to find it on usa and send it to my uncle on LAS VEGAS, and on the end of this years he will bring it to me. But... it's all about money, time and luck. Here on Argentina there is no any lens like this, new or used, no one. So... i'm try to find the best choice, trying to get the best quality and odds wasting the less as possible.

Jun 04, 2014 at 01:26 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

I think it's the best choice for you if you want a wide angle. Going medium format isn't cheap (the best T/S adapters will run several hundred to over a thousand dollars alone, and the cheaper ones that I've seen will either tilt or shift, but won't allow for both) and you won't find many 24s. There are two in current production - the Hassy (Fuji) 24 and the Leica S 24, both of which are much more expensive than buying the Canon 24 II and a 6D to put on the back. I heard rumors that Zeiss allowed for special order 24's when they were making lenses for the Hassy V system, but since they were special orders, I can only imagine what the going rate for one would be today.

I say go for the Samyang and just mind your edges when you're shifting.

Jun 04, 2014 at 04:38 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

No way would I buy the Samyang 24 TS lens.

I'd rather have the original Canon TSE lens (I used to own it) if I couldn't afford the new version II. With Lightroom profiles and CA correction you get a lot more IQ from the old model (I used the 24/1.4L version I profile).

The Samyang is a pain-in-the-ass manual aperture lens, with no EXIF. Tilt function is medieval. The whole thing is over-size with clunky engineering. I like the features of the original Canon, have thought of re-purchasing a used model to have a knock-around outdoor lens without worrying about hurting my version II.

Don't get me wrong -- I like Samyang lenses, owning the 14/2.8, 35/1.4 and 85/1.4.

Jun 04, 2014 at 05:04 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

What camera are you using?

A good budget choice would be the Olympus 35mm f2.8 shift.
I had it for years and it's great.

Shifts in both vertical and horizontal axies at the same time which is rare.

It's not as wide as 24mm but you can shift and stitch shots together.
If you keep an eye out on ebay you should be able to find one for $400 or less

Jun 04, 2014 at 05:51 PM
Makten
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Gunzorro wrote:
I'd rather have the original Canon TSE lens (I used to own it) if I couldn't afford the new version II.

How do you mean he'll be able to use one of those on a Nikon camera?

Jun 04, 2014 at 05:54 PM
jim allison
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Hello Herman,
I bought one, but returned it immediately. It is very cheaply made. Furthermore I don't believe they have authorized service here in the states so parts could be problematic.I have their 14mm and it's very well made, especially for the price. This one is defineately poorly
put together. Advise against.

Jun 04, 2014 at 08:43 PM
hernanGarg

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Hey guys! I really appreciate your time and your advices. I'm using d700, i've 16 35, 24 1.4, 85 1.8 and 100 300 sigma, so change to Canon is not a choice. (i'd 5dmkII a few years ago).

I'm from Argentina, so the warranty here... of any lens depends from where you buy. Here, Nikon is the only one who has an official dealer, but wait... if you want for example... 24 pc-e you have to pay (LOOK AT THIS... $38.250 Argetina. Something like, 4693U$S. Official price (8.15=1u$s). (nobody here can go to the bank and buy u$s money at that price) illegally today is 11.50=1u$s. So... 4700u$s 24mm pc-e ¿? Who on the fucking world would go to spend that money just for warranty? fk all of them.

http://www.nikon.com.ar/objetivos.php

I had 14mm 35 and 85 and i've sold them to test another things. (Here don't exist where you can text lens before buy it). So i know samyang has great lens but this 24 3.5... i see it's no like them. And buy it here on Argentina would cost me like... 1300u$s. So... if it doesn't have your approve... there is no way i could even think on buy one of them (perhaps that is the reason that on web there is no so much information about it).

I dont want to spend more than... 600 700 bucks. I will search about 35mm olympus.

Jun 04, 2014 at 11:02 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

If you're going to go shift-only, then take a look at the Nikon AIS 28/3.5 PC. It's excellent, you won't need an adapter, and it runs less than $500 used here in the US.

Jun 04, 2014 at 11:18 PM
hernanGarg

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Hey freak ! that's what i saw ! a good 28 pc could be a choice don't you think? I want the this kind of lens just to perspective control, to make tilt shift pictures I'd prefear to build a one with an old lens about 85-135 mm. Don't you?

Jun 04, 2014 at 11:24 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Hi, hernan! Yes, I do think it would be a good choice. I think you'll be very happy with it.

As for preference, it depends. I have a Canon FD 35/2.8 TS I use on a Sony a7 that I like using and the tilt does come in handy at times.

But, while I don't build anything, I do enjoy shooting with this...

a7_Mbellows_SPlanar_135_1 by thisgunforhire70, on Flickr

And I am looking for a Hassy 80/2.8 to try out on the set up as well. So I guess I like it both ways.

Jun 05, 2014 at 12:14 AM
Simon Kennedy
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

You could use the Samyang 14mm, keep it level and crop accordingly. Much cheaper than a shift lens. Also it sounds like making a trip to the US to buy some lenses might pay off... 28 is quite limiting for architecture, although certainly useful.

Jun 05, 2014 at 02:06 AM
hernanGarg

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

It could be a possibility Simon, but... i'd lose some quality doing it by photoshop, right?

Freak that is stunning!!! Could you show me pictures with that? What is that optic? on FF ?

Jun 05, 2014 at 07:44 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

HernanGarg, I have used the PC-Nikkor 28/3.5 a bit. This lens (shift only) is beautifully machined, better than Nikon's new tilt-shift-lenses in my opinion. The 28's optics are not up the mechanics, unfortunately. At full shift (11mm) it's impossible to get sharp corners, it doesn't matter which aperture is used (my experience with one copy of this lens - could be sample variation). For some subjects like free-standing buildings or when used with a moderate amount of shift the old PC-Nikkor is a fine lens.
I was tempted to give the Samyang a try, but read about It's not so stellar mechanics and possible service-problems and resisted.

Jun 05, 2014 at 08:17 AM
hernanGarg

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Georg, I'm on that. I'm trying to study if with nikkor could get better IQ than 14 samyang with PS.

Is any way to correct the perspective on PS witout lose so much definition?

Jun 05, 2014 at 01:40 PM
hernanGarg

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 24mm 3.5 Tilt-shift Samyang / What do you say?

Georg, I'm on that. I'm trying to study if with nikkor could get better IQ than 14 samyang with PS.

Is any way to correct the perspective on PS witout lose so much definition?

Jun 05, 2014 at 01:40 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.