Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · What does the sigma docking station do?

JHC
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What does the sigma docking station do?

Hi,

I'm playing with a new lens on a 5dmk3, the 35 f1.4 art and the lens is micro adjusted to the extreme limit in camera (20).

My question is, if I put the lens in a docking station, would that permit me to shift the lens's adjustment so that my in camera adjustment would be less?

I don't have a docking station yet. This is my first sigma and overall I like it, but would prefer to have some adjustment on either side of its Ma setting.

-john

Jun 03, 2014 at 09:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What does the sigma docking station do?

GIYF

"By connecting the USB cable to a computer, SIGMA USB DOCK enables photographers to update the lens firmware and adjust parameters such as focus. The adjustment is processed with special software (SIGMA Optimization Pro). The AF speed, focus limiter and OS function are also customizable for Sports lenses."

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/article/sigma-usb-dock

Jun 04, 2014 at 06:38 AM
JHC
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What does the sigma docking station do?

Thanks jcolwell. The pic in the linked PDF helps me to understand a lot.

I did a lot of reading and it appears that user human err is usually the problem with this lens, and mine is the same. After swapping to center point focus and lots of trial and error in good light, it looks like my lens only needs 13 adjustment. Also, when picking a single outer point with 13 adjustment the focus is fine. The af gets squirly with the depth of field if I'm using some expanded focus...again, this could be my err too, ie it tends to front focus, or pick a point on a shirt or collar instead of an eye.

I'll get a docking station when my b and h rewards comes in.

-john

Jun 04, 2014 at 06:55 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What does the sigma docking station do?

Sounds like it's a user-pay substitute for Quality Control.

Nikon should jump on this bandwagon - with their terrible QC, getting customers to pay for the ability to fix their own AF problems might help them turn a profit.

Jun 04, 2014 at 07:06 AM
JHC
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What does the sigma docking station do?

I went with the sigma over the L because Kai gave it a good review on a 35mm comparison digital rev youtube video - with no brands linked to pics the audience actually elected the sigma 35 as the best, Lars Johnsson rated it very good on the FM reviews, and my friend uses sigma for sports on av mode and has never been put off by the sigma brand (but he is using a 70-200 f2.8).

I think the docking station is kind of like the micro adjustment for lenses built within the canon bodies. If you need it, then you really need it, if not then your scratching your head as what to do with it. It's cheap, so I'll get it just in case.

Now that I now what an obvious front focus problem is and how to deal with it, I'll play with my other lenses and see if they need some adjustment too.

Jun 05, 2014 at 08:56 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What does the sigma docking station do?

molson wrote:
Sounds like it's a user-pay substitute for Quality Control.

Nikon should jump on this bandwagon - with their terrible QC, getting customers to pay for the ability to fix their own AF problems might help them turn a profit.

It isn't a QC issue .. it's a manufacturing tolerance issue (for all manufacturers).

Jun 05, 2014 at 10:27 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.