New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Extension Tube Recommendation

ecwoods

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Extension Tube Recommendation

Hello everyone!

I primarily shoot macro (See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellenwoods) with a Nikon D300 and the dedicated 105 mm. I've used Kenko extension tubes for three years now, but they've become incredibly shoddy. I primarily used just the 36 mm, as I did not like the bend when all three tubes were stacked, but it has been cantankerous and no longer registers electronically with the camera, at least not without directly supporting the weight of the 105 mm. (Shooting handheld is not a solution and even the smallest movements handheld cause loss of contact.)

I decided to breakout the 12 and 20 mm tubes and stack them, thinking that 32 mm would be close enough to 36 mm, especially given the 105 mm focal length of the lens. They do not function properly either, though the problem is much different. Despite infrequent use and showing no signs of cosmetic damage, the DOF was wacky (the image looked tilt-shifted), and the littlest bit of flash would overexpose the image. I thought I was going crazy for the longest time. I then tried using someone's extension tubes (also 12, 20 and 36 mm) to diagnose the problem, and they all worked just fine.

I unfortunately do not remember the brand I tried, but I was hoping to solicit help with finding another set of fully automatic extension tubes from a brand that is NOT Kenko. Considering the cost and the fact that they've failed, I see no reason to replace them. I've browsed around and have seen brands that are comparable in price (Promaster, ProOptic, Aputure, Vello, Polaroid, Vivitar), but I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience and could recommend one a set based on quality (i.e. good electronic contact, sturdy, metal, dark inside). Thank you.

I've looked at many posts, and it also seemed to be a post about Kenko versus Brand XYZ. I did not find a post that specifically addressed all the other competitors in relation to one another and this is the information I seek! Thank you!

Jun 03, 2014 at 01:45 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Extension Tube Recommendation

I don't think any of the tubes are really made for day in day out usage and being mounted and unmounted several times daily. Buy the Nikon tubes, and see how long they last.

Jun 03, 2014 at 01:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Extension Tube Recommendation

I'd suggest you take this question to the Macro World forum where you'll find the folks doing this kind of shooting. They have a thread on posting your setup that might be a place to start. You could, of course do exactly what you've done here. Obviously, tubes are used by all camera systems so although you're shooting Nikon you'll consider tubes from any producer. Nikon tubes are remarkably well built but as you surely know they do not all communication between lens and camera body. Since I shoot almost exclusively with Nikon manual focus lenses I'm very happy with both older Vivitar tubes and Nikons beautifully constructed tubes. Of course, you COULD use the non-CPU register in your camera and enter the 105 information so metering will work effectively. You would lose EXIF data but that may not be critical for you. If you took that route you could use Nikon's tubes.

Good luck sorting it out. I love to get close with tubes but I'm not a serious macro shooter so probably not the best person to guide you. But the folks on the Macro World forum will certainly be able to advise you.

And welcome to Fred Miranda. It is a great place to hang out with other photographers, whatever your interests may be.

Jun 03, 2014 at 02:00 PM
ecwoods

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Extension Tube Recommendation

Thank you for the responses. I will make a post in the macro forum and see what extension tubes can handle a bit more usage. Because Nikon doesn't make a high mag lens, a lot of us Nikonians need to use extension tubes or reverse mount a lens. In this case, the extension tubes get A LOT of use.

Jun 03, 2014 at 04:57 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Extension Tube Recommendation

Sounds like you got a dud set of Kenko's. I used the 3 stacked on my D300 & Tamron 90/60 f2 lenses daily for 3 years & the only issue I had was an infrequent aperture error (I have since fixed that by taking the 36mm tube apart and resetting the contacts).

Cheers
Leigh

Jun 03, 2014 at 06:45 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Extension Tube Recommendation

To my knowledge Kenko is the only game in town for AF tubes on Nikon. Mine work fine, but then I don't use them that often.

Jun 04, 2014 at 09:28 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.