New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Presenting One's Photos

pixarezzo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Presenting One's Photos

I'm in the process of framing some of my photos so I have some questions. I'm making some "rustic" frames from weathered fence boards that I think will nicely complement the photos.

Should I matte the photo? (In this instance, I'm thinking no)

Should I incorporate a layer of glass for protection?

What's the best/accepted way to mount the photo to the backing board? Spray adhesive? Rubber cement? Double sided tape? What method could eventually bleed through the photo paper, ruining the photo?

Do you include a visible (albeit discretely) copyright on the image? It would be easy enough to "hide" it in the boarder underneath the frame.

Anything else I should consider?

Thanks

Eric

Jun 03, 2014 at 11:56 AM
pixarezzo
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Presenting One's Photos

Oh, and if you do use glass, do you leave airspace between the glass and photo?

Jun 03, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Healey
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Presenting One's Photos

pixarezzo wrote:
I

What's the best/accepted way to mount the photo to the backing board? Spray adhesive? Rubber cement? Double sided tape? What method could eventually bleed through the photo paper, ruining the photo?

Thanks

Eric

All those methods will ruin the paper and the photo. Unless you use tape or adhesive that is acid free or archival.

How long you want the image to last will dictate the "best" method. Also the material you print on will determine how strong an adhesive you will need.

So you have not mentioned how the print was made (printed with what printer) and what it is printed on (most standard photographic paper is only designed to last 5 to20 years or so because commercial photographers are so sensitive to price point, they will prefer economy paper to archival) So if you do not have an archival print to begin with there is no point in using conservation methods.

So please provide more information on your print and overall intent so there is enough data to give you an informative answer.

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Presenting One's Photos

deleted accidental double post

Edited on Jun 03, 2014 at 08:28 PM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2014 at 01:51 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Presenting One's Photos

pixarezzo wrote:
I'm in the process of framing some of my photos so I have some questions. I'm making some "rustic" frames from weathered fence boards that I think will nicely complement the photos.

Should I matte the photo? (In this instance, I'm thinking no)

Most people would place them within/behind a mat.

Should I incorporate a layer of glass for protection?

Most would likely use a gallery quality UV protective plexi sheet if the image is at all large. Glass is heavy and breakable.

That is a big subject, and a number of issues affect your choice. Using archival materials is important with any of these, as you don't want "stuff" bleeding from adhesives, backing boards, or cheap mat board.

Methods of mounting are diverse. Some will use archival tape, either attaching the photo to the back of the mat or to the backing board. You could use spray mount or other similar methods to affix the image to the backing board. Others prefer to float the image so that it isn't fixed to the backing board, using hinges and corners so that the image can be more easily remounted and so that the it can "breathe."

Do you include a visible (albeit discretely) copyright on the image? It would be easy enough to "hide" it in the boarder underneath the frame.

You could. Are you selling it to someone or mounting for your own purposes?

Anything else I should consider?

A few things come to mind.

Using a window mat will put that space between the photo and the "glass" that you asked about. This is important.

Since some of the mounting techniques are not exactly easy or obvious at first, you could consider having someone do this for you.

There are vendors who sell framing materials online at good prices. One I use is Frame Destination, though there are others.

Dan

Jun 03, 2014 at 01:53 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Presenting One's Photos

I quite often don't put glass in front of my prints, but rather spay then with BC timeless which protects them from both the atmosphere and fingerprints. I find the reflection and tint in glass takes away from the image. I always matte my prints before framing as I find the matte not only protects the print from the frame, but also adds to the visual quality of the finished package.

Jun 03, 2014 at 02:22 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.