New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Traditional Film Photography Facebook Group

dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Traditional Film Photography Facebook Group

For those of you who Facebook, you might want to check out the Traditional Film Photography Group. I'm posting this under people photography for two reasons. First, a significant number of the images that are shared are portraits and there's some wonderful photographs out there.

Secondly, I've been paying attention to the look of the portraits in the group. Most use very subtle processing. Often it looks like they are straight scans with very little Photoshop manipulation added. Because of this, the skin tones and other colors are very soft and natural looking. It is, for lack of a better term, an organic look. It is different from the nostalgic VSCO manipulations that too often look like bad film processing rather than good film photography. This soft, muted color look is a look I remember fondly and it is a contrast to many digitally created portraits I see here and elsewhere with desaturated, unnatural looking skin tones and over-amped backgrounds.

Even though I still shoot film occasionally, this isn't a neo-Luddite call to return to film capture for day to day work. It has, however, made me think about my post processing routine. I have been getting some good results using Replichrome and intend to further hone my custom settings in it to get the look I'm after.

If you're an old film guy like me, you might enjoy the images there. If you came to photography post-film, you might like these images as a refreshing change from the overcooked, garish digital images that are normally seen in places like FM.

Jun 03, 2014 at 10:48 AM
sidefunk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Traditional Film Photography Facebook Group

I am interested in the type of processing you speak of. I am not Facebook literate, but is it possible to post some examples here of the work in that group or even some of your own work with the processing you discussed.

I am using replichrome as well. Is there a preset that you find yourself using most often for your tweaking?

Jun 03, 2014 at 10:51 PM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Traditional Film Photography Facebook Group

sidefunk wrote:
I am interested in the type of processing you speak of. I am not Facebook literate, but is it possible to post some examples here of the work in that group or even some of your own work with the processing you discussed.

I am using replichrome as well. Is there a preset that you find yourself using most often for your tweaking?

I dont feel comfortable sharing the work of others without their permission. If you use Facebook, just search for the group.

I'm out of town so I don't have access to my work.

Jun 04, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Bewithabob

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Traditional Film Photography Facebook Group

i am going to look for this group absolutely.

Jun 04, 2014 at 10:48 AM
sidefunk
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Traditional Film Photography Facebook Group

Excuse me, I wasn't clear. I am not a Facebook user, but I can understand not wanting to repost others work. Looking forward to seeing some of your postprocessing.

Jun 05, 2014 at 07:43 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.