New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2014 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

Klaus Priebe
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

Been using my Canon glass on the Sony but wondering who has found other great glass with the E mount. Would like to ditch the Metabones with the right glass. Looking at lenses between 16 to 80mm range. Any and all thoughts, comments would be appreciated

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:46 PM
crazeazn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

sony 35 2.8 and the 55 1.8

for native there you go.

Jun 02, 2014 at 10:05 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

you really can put any lens on the camera, so it'll be pretty subjective. here's my vote for the very best image quality in a compact size on the a7r:

leica m 16-18-21mm f/4 WATE
leica m 24/1.4 summilux asph
leica m 35/1.4 summilux asph FLE (or pre-FLE if you want better bokeh and worse midzone sharpness)
sony/zeiss FE 55/1.8
leica m 75/2 AA

note: many rangefinder lenses (especially wides) seem to have all kinds of trouble with the a7r's sensor cover glass, but the ones i listed have negligible detrimental effects.

Jun 02, 2014 at 10:09 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

+1

This is my present kit, until Sony updates their FE range!! I also have the 75 Lux which is great on the A7r for portraits.

Jun 02, 2014 at 11:17 PM
crazeazn
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

charles.K wrote:
+1

This is my present kit, until Sony updates their FE range!! I also have the 75 Lux which is great on the A7r for portraits.

that 75lux must be butter on it.

Jun 02, 2014 at 11:27 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

crazeazn wrote:
that 75lux must be butter on it.

The 75 Lux is great, but it takes on a slightly different personality compared to the M240. Depends on the intent of rendering you wish for

Jun 02, 2014 at 11:43 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

charles.K wrote:
The 75 Lux is great, but it takes on a slightly different personality compared to the M240. Depends on the intent of rendering you wish for

how so? that's always been one for my wish list.

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:18 AM
crazeazn
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

charles.K wrote:

I'm looking at the exact opposite, the cv 75 1.8. I haven't much of that on the A7/R

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:24 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

sebboh wrote:
how so? that's always been one for my wish list.

It has been my favourite since when I first got the M9. The 75 Lux feels sharper on th A7r, as expected and maybe this is how I interpret the fall off of rendering. There is more of glow feeling on portraits with the 75 Lux with M240, used at f/1.4

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:30 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

charles.K wrote:
It has been my favourite since when I first got the M9. The 75 Lux feels sharper on th A7r, as expected and maybe this is how I interpret the fall off of rendering. There is more of glow feeling on portraits with the 75 Lux with M240, used at f/1.4

could it be that you focus in slightly different places on people using the rangefinder versus liveview? i feel like maybe i've asked you this before?

crazeazn wrote:
I'm looking at the exact opposite, the cv 75 1.8. I haven't much of that on the A7/R

i've been thinking i'll get one of those in the meantime too, though i'm really enjoying my jupiter-9 these days...

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:40 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

sebboh wrote:
could it be that you focus in slightly different places on people using the rangefinder versus liveview? i feel like maybe i've asked you this before?

i've been thinking i'll get one of those in the meantime too, though i'm really enjoying my jupiter-9 these days...

No, I always focus on the near eye lashes, so this would not change. With the A7r, I still use the focus and recompose too.

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:43 AM
crazeazn
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

What exactly is that? I need something in the portrait range and there arent that many offerings that are small/fast. In an ideal world the cron 90 f/2 would be perfect but I dont want to spend that much.

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:45 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

charles.K wrote:
No, I always focus on the near eye lashes, so this would not change. With the A7r, I still use the focus and recompose too.

i meant maybe the rangefinder calibration is a little different than what you judge to be best focus in liveview, or do you use liveview on the m240 too?

crazeazn wrote:
What exactly is that? I need something in the portrait range and there arent that many offerings that are small/fast. In an ideal world the cron 90 f/2 would be perfect but I dont want to spend that much.

it's the russian version of the prewar contax 85/2 sonnar:
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7398/13970610849_7e782f5fea_o.jpg
there are a ton available for under $200 in the old contax rangefinder mount or m42 mount, m39 mount ones usually run a bit more. the build is terrible and they're mostly uncoated (terrible flare), but they can be quite sharp and have a nice glow and character. i posted a few shots with it here

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:58 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

sebboh wrote:
i meant maybe the rangefinder calibration is a little different than what you judge to be best focus in liveview, or do you use liveview on the m240 too?

This is the same whether I use LV/EVF on the M240 or with the RF. Lately I have been using the EVF for portraits for both the 75 Lux and 50 Nocti f/1.0.

Jun 03, 2014 at 01:26 AM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

90 Cron APO Asph. A big longer than you requested, but it's great.
Contax G 45/2
The WATE that sebboh speaks of is great, but very expensive.

But honestly, if you don't need something right now, Zeiss is set to release a set of FE lenses later this year.

Jun 03, 2014 at 01:26 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

Klaus, while I do love alt lenses, I felt I had gotten a bit lost with my A7R, because of how many you can actually use. I ended up with 6 different mounts! So I now standardize on 2: native FE and Leica R. The FE offers 2 fine primes, 35 and 55. The 35 gets a lot less recognition than it deserves IMHO. It consistently produces superb shots for me in all kinds of situations and, being so small and light, is an ideal walk-about lens. Leica R is the one range where I can get top-quality glass all the way from UWA to tele. While they aren't light, they aren't as large and heavy as DSLR lenses like the Zeiss Z*. And some of them are simply exceptional, like Elmarit 28 vII and Summilux 80 (note to Charles, I compared it to my M 'Cron 75. Wonder how it fares compared to your Lux 75?)
And, while far from cheap, Leica R are a far cry from the prices of new M lenses.
As to the future, Sony-Zeiss will release more FE lenses this year (they are a Sony design with a zest of Zeiss), and Zeiss themselves will announce a line of MF primes for FE mount. But no-one seems to know what specs or delivery dates.
Have fun!

Jun 03, 2014 at 02:35 AM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

Hi Philippe,
The 75 Cron is a great lens, and so is the 75 Lux. My preference is the 75 Lux, as I prefer it for portraits.
I agree with you with many alt lenses, this can become a chore, and frustrating too. I am looking forward to more of the FE mounts MF from Zeiss.

Jun 03, 2014 at 03:48 AM
philber
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

Sorry Charles, I meant: how does the 80 'Lux compare to the 75 'Lux?

Jun 03, 2014 at 04:22 AM
macrobild
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

Otus,Otus,Otus

Jun 03, 2014 at 05:05 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Best glass for the Sony a7r

philber wrote:
Sorry Charles, I meant: how does the 80 'Lux compare to the 75 'Lux?

Hi Phillipe,

The M 75 Lux and the R 80 Lux have a very similar lineage and design. The 75 Lux is essentially an R 80 Lux redesigned to work on a rangefinder. They are indeed quite similar lenses and you can see that in their similar images.

Jun 03, 2014 at 07:26 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.