New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 25th Wedding Anniversary Vow Renewal

JHC
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 25th Wedding Anniversary Vow Renewal

Hi,
I think that this is my first thread starter in this particular forum. I look at this forum all the time, and enjoy it immensely, but it seems a little intimating to post in...your work is so good, it's like I don't belong.

Nevertheless, I was at church Sunday and brought my camera with my newest lens. A sigma 35mm f1.4 art. I was just going to click a few shots and see how the view was for future video applications (my sons do a lot of music there). Anyways, after the service, a couple was renewing their vows.

After multiple rib pokes from my wife, I shot a few pics. There was no preplanning, no extra lighting, just a few shots to capture the event. There is no real post processing except for a crop on the kiss iirc and I do bump up the saturation a notch or two (I guess I'm gravitating to postmodern HDR'ish styles). Here they are: the black and white pic is soft I know, but I like it still...these are jpegs, the raw files are still in my camera.

-john

1) Untitled by canvasbackdrake, on Flickr

2) Untitled by canvasbackdrake, on Flickr

3) Untitled by canvasbackdrake, on Flickr

4) Untitled by canvasbackdrake, on Flickr

5) Untitled by canvasbackdrake, on Flickr

6)Untitled by canvasbackdrake, on Flickr

Jun 02, 2014 at 08:19 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 25th Wedding Anniversary Vow Renewal

You have a few good moments, here. But images 1, 5 and 6 all look soft, and the color could use a little bit of work.

Also, what ISO were these at. The grain seems higher than most would consider usable.

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:31 PM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 25th Wedding Anniversary Vow Renewal

For what you did, with no preparation or expectation at all, I think you did a fabulous job and I bet the couple would love these shots. I hope you gave some pics to them! I think my only nit is No. 5, I presume you were holding the camera over your head to get this shot, and that makes it tough. My issue is only that the focus is off. I think the focus point here could be the hands, or it could be their faces. But it seems to be the back of that man's shirt. In a shot like that, I get my focus first, then lift the camera. But still, great shots! Great job!

Jun 03, 2014 at 01:17 PM
JHC
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 25th Wedding Anniversary Vow Renewal

Thanks for the feedback Prettym1k3 and friscoron and the tip about overhead shooting.

In number 5 I committed two blunders...the first, was swapping to auto mode and the second was not focussing first on the hands and then lifting the camera.

They have digital access to the pics, the Pastor really liked them.

Hmm the exif data is:

1: f2.8 1/250s 1600
2: f2.8 1/250s 1600
3: f3.5 1/200s 1600
4: f3.5 1/200s 1600
5: f2.8 1/30s 200 - ae mode
6: f3.5 1/200s 1600

All are manual except 5.

-John

Jun 03, 2014 at 05:44 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 25th Wedding Anniversary Vow Renewal

friscoron wrote:
For what you did, with no preparation or expectation at all, I think you did a fabulous job and I bet the couple would love these shots. I hope you gave some pics to them! I think my only nit is No. 5, I presume you were holding the camera over your head to get this shot, and that makes it tough. My issue is only that the focus is off. I think the focus point here could be the hands, or it could be their faces. But it seems to be the back of that man's shirt. In a
...Show more
\

+1

Jun 03, 2014 at 05:57 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.