New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · MTS vs MOV and Motion JPEG and AVCHD Lite

redbarn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MTS vs MOV and Motion JPEG and AVCHD Lite

I wish I could get some clarification and help. I went on an Africa Safari, so you can imagine how important this is to me.

I shot videos using my G5 Lumix Panasonic. I believe I use the Motion JPEG setting, since AVCDHD I am under the impression that this setting is to play back on a TV monitor etc. However, I have encountered something very peculiar:

1- I uploaded the videos from the SD card (I have a Mac). I tried to import the videos using Lightroom 4, but the videos were not detected. I had to use Finder to see the video files. And to my amazement they all were in MTS format.

2- The MTS files were inside a folder named "Private". As soon as I open this folder, it populated all the videos as thumbnails. The thumbnails don't show the camera icon or timer. The only thing it shows Shooting date, time and duration of the video.

3- When I click any of the thumbnails, it will open the video and I can play the video (using Finder) LR doesn't recognize it. At the same time, all the thumbnails disappear from the screen and only the thumbnail selected remained open and its view as a video.

4- I don't see the thumbnails on my HD only the Private folder.

5- I have tried to convert the thumbnails using "hand break", and it was successful, but I was told that is not a good idea because Handbreak would not let me do any editing.

I would like to know how I can import the videos using LR and be able to see the video clips

Jun 02, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MTS vs MOV and Motion JPEG and AVCHD Lite

You'll have to look up the Lr specs to see which formats it can handle, and then perhaps you can convert from MTS to one of those formats with finder or another utility.

Jun 07, 2014 at 09:04 AM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MTS vs MOV and Motion JPEG and AVCHD Lite

redbarn wrote:
I believe I use the Motion JPEG setting, since AVCDHD I am under the impression that this setting is to play back on a TV monitor etc.

AVCHD is the wrapper / codec used by just about all consumer (and some semi-pro) cameras to record video that can then be edited quite easily by most modern editing systems. It is not just for playback on TV only.

Your MTS files are AVCHD rather than motion jpeg, which would typically be in an MP4 or MOV wrapper.

Hand brake can produce H264 files that are again editable in most NLEs, though many people prefer to transcode to an intermediate codec for editing on slower machines or less capable NLEs.

Lightroom should be able to handle H264 quite easily, though personally I would never use Lightroom for anything other than topping and tailing and perhaps some extra colour.

For great (free) conversion tools look at something like MPEG Streamclip.

Jun 07, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jbregar
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MTS vs MOV and Motion JPEG and AVCHD Lite

If you have MTS files inside a PRIVATE folder, it's most certainly AVCHD. That's not bad tho as the AVCHD will probably look far better than M-JPEG at the same compression ratio.

AVCHD actually IS H.264, by the way. It's just in a different wrapper. We use a utility called ClipWrap on our Macs to rewrap damaged AVCHD file structures into MOV files that can be imported into NLEs.

Can I ask why you'd want to import video into Lightroom? There are much better pieces of software for video work than Lr.

Jun 07, 2014 at 04:11 PM
butchM
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MTS vs MOV and Motion JPEG and AVCHD Lite

jbregar wrote:
We use a utility called ClipWrap on our Macs to rewrap damaged AVCHD file structures into MOV files that can be imported into NLEs.

+1 ... Clip Wrap is a huge asset for working with AVCHD. Even though Final Cut Pro X can work directly with AVCHD without transcoding, placing the individual MTS files in a .mov wrapper will allow almost any video app to recognize and use the files without utilizing special options or additional plugins or maintaining all the supporting files found in the PRIVATE folder that assist many apps in working with AVCHD.

Can I ask why you'd want to import video into Lightroom? There are much better pieces of software for video work than Lr.

I don't wish to answer for the OP, only to point out that it is true Lr is not in any meaningful way even a modest video editor, the Library is still a useful means for photographers to catalog their video clips.

Additionally, for photographers that do not have an extensive background with video editing or grading ... Lr does offer some unique capabilities in the manner of adjusting tone, white balance and color that is familiar to photographers.

Jun 08, 2014 at 05:54 PM
mtsfiles

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MTS vs MOV and Motion JPEG and AVCHD Lite

mts converter not only lets you convert MTS to various formats but also convert M2TS to multiple formats, e.g. AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, MPG, FLV, and RMVB, to meet high-end demands, this mts files converter supports to convert MTS to 3D video format for playback with life like 3D effect.

Sep 12, 2017 at 09:40 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password