FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25      
       27              35       36       end

Archive 2014 · Bridges of the World

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · Bridges of the World

I'm a regular visitor to your thread JW as are a number of my friend from the MFNG community. Laura, who posts as Nightowl Cat and who posts on your thread, has been with me from the beginning of that thread, which was on August 22, 2010. Of course, I know the history of your thread, and love what is posted there. If anyone had said the chat I started on MF lenses would someday surpass MA2A I'd have laughed out loud. I even said farewell to everyone on page 13 because no one had posted for five days. But then, like the proverbial snowball rolling down hill, it kept moving faster and began attracting a wider audience. Love of Nikon MF lenses I discovered is shared by a great many photographers. The fact that they can be bought for so little money certainly adds to their appeal.

And by the way I've visited your personal website. I tip my hat to you again because the work you do in all areas is very fine. You're a pro no doubt... Photography for me has always been play rather than work. But then I'm 73 so it is fair I should be retired... But I always appreciate fine work I encounter on FM and elsewhere. Thanks for sharing your work here. That photo above is stunning.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:52 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · Bridges of the World

Again Curtis, thank you for your kindness. Laura is a great Lady and quite an inspiration. I'm just a little behind you at 66, but as long as the Good Lord gives me the legs and the opportunities, the last thing on my radar is hanging this up. Heck, I'd do it for free, but don't tell my clients.........

Jan 30, 2015 at 03:02 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · Bridges of the World

I have a couple of friends who earn at least part of their living from photography, so I only share work for free with friends and family. I don't want to be in competition with a working pro. But I do delight in offering my services if/when someone needs a photo. Taking photos and processing them on the computer is pure joy.

When I say I'm "retired" I mean I no longer have to be anywhere at any particular time... unless I want to be. I guess you could say the same thing with regard to your professional life. Such is the nature of being self employed. I continue to practice what was my profession, that of a marriage and family counselor, but it takes a different form and I don't charge for my services... Being of service is a great gift for me...

Jan 30, 2015 at 04:55 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · Bridges of the World

And that is a wonderful spirit Curtis. Certainly I enjoy a tremendous amount of freedom in my work, but I often have to be somewhere, at sometime, that is not necessarily of my choosing. No complaints, but there lies the difference. To some degree, once a fee of any kind is attached, one becomes obligated to certain behaviors that justify that renumeration, it's a bit of a business ballet if you will..............and I will

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:53 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · Bridges of the World

Not sure if these two can be called bridges...

Douglas

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q3KfjA]DSC02849 by Douglas Liu, on Flickr[/url]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qHjKka]DSC02816 by Douglas Liu, on Flickr[/url]

Edited on Jan 31, 2015 at 07:57 AM · View previous versions

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:53 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • • •
p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · Bridges of the World

Next time I'm out in The Bay area, let's see if we can't have lunch or dinner. I'd enjoy meeting you. We can go shoot a bridge................know of one anywhere close?

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:55 PM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · Bridges of the World

Henley Street bridge under construction. Pardon the artifacts... Flickr.

Rebuilding Henley Street Bridge by jimservies | photography, on Flickr

Jan 30, 2015 at 09:59 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · Bridges of the World

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Next time I'm out in The Bay area, let's see if we can't have lunch or dinner. I'd enjoy meeting you. We can go shoot a bridge................know of one anywhere close?

I would love that. I've met a few photographers from the Nikon Manual Focus Glass thread and it has always been delightful. Taking photographs with someone else who loves doing the same thing is always a pleasure. Drop me a PM and we'll work something out.

Curtis

Jan 31, 2015 at 01:58 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · Bridges of the World

Wow Jim, that is really a great photo. They've torn the deck off an old bridge, leaving the supports in place to receive the next deck? I love these old bridges.

My neighbor works for a company that is taking down the old Oakland Bay Bridge span that has been replaced by a quite dramatic new span. I asked if he would take me to the site so I could take photos. He said for liability reasons he couldn't take me to the site. I would have LOVED photographing works as they dismantled the steel bridge. This stuff is all fascinating to me. Fine work!

Jan 31, 2015 at 02:01 AM
James Markus
• • • • •
p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · Bridges of the World

Just found this thread. I had trouble sleeping a couple years ago in Seattle - Sleepless in Seattle...hehe Well, it got me out late at night to shoot this.

https://www.fredmiranda.com/hosting-data//500/76816Bridge_Pano-28mm_Night-web.jpg

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:29 AM
Peterk78
• • •
p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · Bridges of the World

Here's the Brooklyn Bridge last winter during a break in a storm; via a loaner canon 8-15 fisheye:

http://www.pkphoto.net/Galleries/Location-Galleries/New-York-City/i-4MbmWxS/1/XL/PK13995-XL.jpg

Jan 31, 2015 at 07:42 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · Bridges of the World

Wow! Peter, James... great contributions. The fisheye was a very creative choice Peter and with all the bent lines it is delicious. Interesting that both you and James have water reflections as part of your images. Fine, fine work by you both. Thanks for sharing.

I guess this is one reason to keep the thread on the first page of this forum... to remind people its here...

Lend a hand folks with your own photos. There have to be a million bridges around the world... large, small, dramatic, insignificant, serious, whimsical... we want to see them all...

Jan 31, 2015 at 08:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · Bridges of the World

Jim Bau wrote:
Good to see another Minnesota transplant out west! I grew up on Lake Minnetonka and moved out west with the family when I was 17. I live just across the bay from the legendary Lord Fletchers. Lake Minnetonka is probably where my appreciation of bridges began. As a young, dumb kid I jumped off nearly every bridge on the lake! Things you do as a kid when you're bored!!!

I was visiting the thread and going back over early pages and came across this post that I hadn't noticed before. I must have missed it because three friends and I owned a 27 foot Owen cabin cruiser that was berthed on Lake Minnetonka and Lord Fletchers was one of MANY watering holes we frequented as wild and crazy young men. So while you were jumping off the bridges we were enticing women from the many bars to go for a ride...

Of course, I'm an old man so all this was probably happening before your were born. If I recall correctly, the years were 1968 and 1969. Three Corvettes and one Ford Mustang among us, there was a party every weekend. We lived next door to an apartment filled with Northwest Airlines stewardesses, so you can imagine... I have no idea how I survived those years... Lake Minnetonka is a wonderful place, with so many inlets and bridges. If I recall correctly the shoreline was over 300 miles long.

Hope you come by the thread and catch this note Jim. Sorry I missed it when it first came around...

Jan 31, 2015 at 09:27 PM
Jim Servies
• • •
p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · Bridges of the World

CGrindahl wrote:
Wow Jim, that is really a great photo. They've torn the deck off an old bridge, leaving the supports in place to receive the next deck? I love these old bridges.

My neighbor works for a company that is taking down the old Oakland Bay Bridge span that has been replaced by a quite dramatic new span. I asked if he would take me to the site so I could take photos. He said for liability reasons he couldn't take me to the site. I would have LOVED photographing works as they dismantled the steel bridge. This stuff is all fascinating
...Show more

Thank you Curtis. The bridge is now complete and I hope to shoot it again sometime over the next month with either a Zeiss or 17 TS/E. I'll post it here soon.

Great photographs everyone!

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:11 PM
nativ3ridge

p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · Bridges of the World

http://i.imgur.com/je2HlYm.jpg]Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge
Nevada - Arizona

Edited on Feb 07, 2015 at 01:47 AM · View previous versions

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:40 PM
mmbma
• •
p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · Bridges of the World

new port bridge with a sail boat. light and airy summer

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5569/14880905845_6d4b1b57ae_b_d.jpg

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:41 PM
Peterk78
• • •
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · Bridges of the World

Thanks very much Curtis! There are some great images in the pages of this post. I'll have to go through and peruse some more when I have a few spare minutes. I'll post some more as well...

Peter

Feb 01, 2015 at 12:45 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · Bridges of the World

And as soon as the weather breaks Peter... you can go out and take MORE photos of bridges to share with us...

Feb 02, 2015 at 01:42 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · Bridges of the World

Another shot of the Erasmus bridge over the Maas River in Rotterdam taken in 2012.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-goYwxTmf2nc/T5TdgWthvSI/AAAAAAAAMIw/SB0BrysFSAg/s1000/50.1.2.ErasmusBridgeVista.jpg

Feb 02, 2015 at 01:47 AM
Lightsearcher
• • • • •
p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · Bridges of the World

Yes, I think it is a bridge, it connects the small town of Vidareidi with the church.

http://marcelobarrera.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v26/p46992444-5.jpg

Have a great day everyone.

Marcelo

Feb 02, 2015 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.