Real nice capture Rich. Nicely done.

Amen!!!
Dan

Sep 10, 2014 at 08:48 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.21 #3 · p.21 #3 · Bridges of the World

I have a real passion for covered bridges, wood, stone,brick and rare metal ones.
Dan

Roddy Road Covered Bridge-The bg leaves were blurred for effect.

Loy Station Covered Bridge

Sep 10, 2014 at 09:04 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.21 #4 · p.21 #4 · Bridges of the World

Burnside Bridge at Antietam Battlefield

Catoctin Creek Aqueduct

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:26 PM
wizardofoz

Upload & Sell: Off
p.21 #5 · p.21 #5 · Bridges of the World

Railroad bridge in Rulo, NE across the Missouri River. Shot with a Sony A6000 and Zeiss 12mm

Sep 11, 2014 at 03:07 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.21 #6 · p.21 #6 · Bridges of the World

Amazing the variety of bridges appearing on this thread. Thanks everyone for sharing your work with us. For those who have scoured their collection to find that single bridge shot, I hope this thread will motivate you to search out some further shooting opportunities. I especially encourage those from other parts of the world to give us a peak at your world Bridges come in many sizes and shapes from the sublime to the purely functional. So take a few photos and drop them on the thread. You can even tell us a bit about the bridge, if you wish...

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:38 AM
marcy45
• • •
p.21 #7 · p.21 #7 · Bridges of the World

I posted some shots of this single point bridge called the Sundial Bridge in Redding Calif- spans over the Sacramento River - and someone ask me to post some on this thread - bridges are cool- these are different perspectives of this unique bridge - enjoy

Sep 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
p.21 #8 · p.21 #8 · Bridges of the World

Yes, that was me - thanks, Marcy.

Sep 14, 2014 at 02:45 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.21 #9 · p.21 #9 · Bridges of the World

Marcy- That third one is superb.

Sep 14, 2014 at 02:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.21 #10 · p.21 #10 · Bridges of the World

Thanks Ernie for suggesting it and thanks Marcy for sharing these fine photos. Yes, what a fascinating design. Amazing that the anchor carries those cables without any form of stay. Clearly, the curved anchor is carrying the tension created by those cables. The "Swan" in Rotterdam, like most single tower suspension bridges has lines extending behind to help carry the weight.

Here is a photo of the Erasmus bridge known as the Swan taken from the back side.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-goYwxTmf2nc/T5TdgWthvSI/AAAAAAAAMIw/SB0BrysFSAg/s1000/50.1.2.ErasmusBridgeVista.jpg

Sep 14, 2014 at 09:21 PM
phuoctue
• •
p.21 #11 · p.21 #11 · Bridges of the World

Phú Mỹ Bridge is a new cable-stayed road bridge over the Saigon River in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. (WIKIPEDIA)

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5586/15031003689_ffda130280_b.jpg

Zeiss Distagon T* 1.4/35 ZE - ISO 100 - f11 - 6s

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:34 AM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.21 #12 · p.21 #12 · Bridges of the World

CGrindahl wrote:

Thanks Ernie for suggesting it and thanks Marcy for sharing these fine photos. Yes, what a fascinating design. Amazing that the anchor carries those cables without any form of stay. Clearly, the curved anchor is carrying the tension created by those cables. The "Swan" in Rotterdam, like most single tower suspension bridges has lines extending behind to help carry the weight.

Here is a photo of the Erasmus bridge known as the Swan taken from the back side.

http://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-goYwxTmf2nc/T5TdgWthvSI/AAAAAAAAMIw/SB0BrysFSAg/s1000/50.1.2.ErasmusBridgeVista.jpg

This one is nice Curtis.

Sep 15, 2014 at 08:55 AM
pburke
• • • •
p.21 #13 · p.21 #13 · Bridges of the World

Woods Creek in Kings Canyon National Park

Woods Creek overview

Sep 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.21 #14 · p.21 #14 · Bridges of the World

A few more covered bridges from Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Roddy Road Covered Bridge...Leaves blurred for effect

Sachs Covered Bridge at Gettysburg Battlefield...Confederates and Union soldiers used it.

Bedford, Pa covered bridge

Sep 15, 2014 at 01:00 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.21 #15 · p.21 #15 · Bridges of the World

The last covered bridge in Wisconsin, near Cedarburg

DSC_8297

Sep 15, 2014 at 03:40 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.21 #16 · p.21 #16 · Bridges of the World

Danpbphoto wrote:
A few more covered bridges from Maryland and Pennsylvania.

Nice series Dan...like #1 the best.

Sep 15, 2014 at 04:04 PM
phuoctue
• •
p.21 #17 · p.21 #17 · Bridges of the World

pburke wrote:
The last covered bridge in Wisconsin, near Cedarburg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5497/14092952417_5f96b87eb8_b.jpg
DSC_8297

This covered bridge looks amazing and stunning via fisheye and a slight touch of HDR? (I guess).
Out of topic question: Why your country need covered bridge? It looks like this kind of bridge is for pedestrian and horsecart from the old time - and the roof of the bridge is a shelter place during hars weather conditions Can you shed me a light on the history?

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM
Tront
• •
p.21 #18 · p.21 #18 · Bridges of the World

Tribute in light - NYC 9/11 '14

(view from Manhattan Bridge)

Sep 15, 2014 at 10:34 PM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.21 #19 · p.21 #19 · Bridges of the World

phuoctue wrote:
This covered bridge looks amazing and stunning via fisheye and a slight touch of HDR? (I guess).
Out of topic question: Why your country need covered bridge? It looks like this kind of bridge is for pedestrian and horsecart from the old time - and the roof of the bridge is a shelter place during hars weather conditions Can you shed me a light on the history?

Here is the short answer to your question: and I quote...
Why Covered?

The Frequently Asked Question about covered bridges has to be: why were they covered? There is a short answer. Wooden bridges with exposed superstructures are vulnerable to rot. Covering and roofing them protects them from the weather, and so they last longer.

In one sense, that just puts off the question. Why so many wooden bridges? And why especially in Pennsylvania and the U. S. Northeast?

In eighteen hundred, the northeastern United States was a country in need of bridges. It is a fairly narrow coastal plain cut by many short rivers and creeks. In the "tidewater" region, these little streams and the great estuaries such as the Chesapeake and Delaware Bays had been highways and lifelines. But now the population was surging beyond the tidewater region, drawn both by the growth of agriculture and the call of water-powered industrialization. Inland farmers needed overland transport, and that meant fords or bridges. But the water-powered mills sought out the very places where the streams could not be forded -- the falls and rapids -- and they too needed transportation.

So bridges were needed. The American northeast was a forest country: wood was a plentiful building material, especially in the remote areas where the smaller bridges were needed. And the climate favored wooden construction. The climate of the region is harsh, by European standards -- hot in the summer and icey in the winter, with a freeze-thaw cycle that would overturn stone pavings. But this sort of climate is less destructive of wood than the mild, moist climate of Britain (or Oregon). So wooden bridges there would be.

The young United States had one other necessary ingredient in plenty: ingenuity. Lewis Wernwag, Theodore Burr, Menander Wood and the rest were just as essential as the material and the need. Without them, there would be no historic covered bridges.

Dan

Sep 16, 2014 at 08:27 AM
phuoctue
• •
p.21 #20 · p.21 #20 · Bridges of the World

Well Dan,

You again amaze me with the answer and I am really appreciate for that.
You are a star! :-)

Sep 16, 2014 at 09:04 AM
1       2       3              20      
       22              35       36       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              20      
       22              35       36       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.