FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              17      
       19              35       36       end

Archive 2014 · Bridges of the World

dhamments
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.18 #1 · p.18 #1 · Bridges of the World

Well Curtis, this thread is moving along quite nicely..... at the risk of repeating one of the fine bridges of the world - the Sydney Harbour Bridge, here a few more of that icon... More Aussie bridges to come!

Cheers and good light,
David

© dhamments 2014

Sydney Harbour Bridge Panorama

© dhamments 2014

Sydney Harbour Bridge HDR

© dhamments 2014

Gulls and SHB

© dhamments 2014

Harbour Bridge Photographers

Jul 26, 2014 at 08:53 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #2 · p.18 #2 · Bridges of the World

One of my favorite bridges David. Because of the urban setting there are so many wonderful perspectives on the bridge and surroundings. Our friend Ben who loaned those of us hanging out on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread on the Nikon forum started out Great Lens Adventure with some photos of this bridge. A year later, after the lens had circled the globe it returned to Sydney and we saw the bridge again. It holds a special place in my heart. Thanks for sharing these. I love seeing all the photographers in that last shot...

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:24 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.18 #3 · p.18 #3 · Bridges of the World

Just some small, anonymous Chinese bridge I found in Hangzhou China. I always love the design of this style of bridge.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2897/14207123417_a9ca75dac0_b.jpg

Jul 26, 2014 at 02:54 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #4 · p.18 #4 · Bridges of the World

Exquisite Tom. At the moment I'm deeply immersed in the Tao the Ching and additional reading about Taoism and Chan Buddhism. There is something so serene about this form of bridge with the structure mirrored in the still water. Beautiful...

Jul 26, 2014 at 03:19 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.18 #5 · p.18 #5 · Bridges of the World

Thank you Curtis. The Tao De Ching was actually my very first exposure to Chinese culture. I'm not sure what drew me to that book. It probably found me instead of the other way around. And of course, Chan Buddhism is the Chinese name for Zen, which is where my heart truly lies. One of THE most disappointing things about living in China is that the Buddhist Temples, while very pretty, are absolutely empty of any spirt of Chan or Zen. The seemingly only practices taught at these temples are to kneel down and pray for good luck, and throw coins into giant kettles for good luck. Absolutely empty of spirituality.

Now Korean or Japanese temples....those are sublime in their beauty as well as spirit.

Jul 26, 2014 at 03:33 PM
Reagan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.18 #6 · p.18 #6 · Bridges of the World

I haven't stopped by here in a while
I need to catch up on these great images

Reagan

Jul 26, 2014 at 03:55 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #7 · p.18 #7 · Bridges of the World

Tom, you and I could likely have a lovely conversation on this subject but this thread is probably not the place, though I'll mention Stephen Batchelor who began is journey with Tibetan Buddhism but after many years traveled to Korea where he spent three years in a Zen monastery. I love his writing.

Another time, another place... bridges prevail here.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xpn551D5vdY/U4_Y1gKmNII/AAAAAAAAYY4/gIHbJvC7mgo/s800/GazingAtRSRBridge.jpg

Richmond-San Rafael bridge during my Canon days... In the foreground is a pier that was constructed for the adjacent rod and gun club.

Jul 26, 2014 at 04:20 PM
dhamments
• • •
p.18 #8 · p.18 #8 · Bridges of the World

Another old bridge, this time in Morpeth, New South Wales, Australia. Our local photo club visited the site to see what we could come up with.... not sure if I like the B&W version more than the colour?

Cheers and good light,
David

© dhamments 2014

Morpeth Bridge, NSW, Australia

© dhamments 2014

Morpeth Bridge B&W

Morpeth Bridge - Side View

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:40 AM
pepperman
• • •
p.18 #9 · p.18 #9 · Bridges of the World

The East Coast

17th Street Washington D.C

The Indian River Inlet Bridge (officially the Charles W. Cullen Bridge) Sussex County, Delaware

Jul 27, 2014 at 09:20 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #10 · p.18 #10 · Bridges of the World

Wonderful work Stuart Thanks for sharing these.

Jul 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.18 #11 · p.18 #11 · Bridges of the World

Beautiful bridge Tom! Love the symetry of the reflection and your B&W conversion. Too bad there were the towers in the background.

Jul 30, 2014 at 08:55 PM
pepperman
• • •
p.18 #12 · p.18 #12 · Bridges of the World

Antietam Battlefield

Jul 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM
dhamments
• • •
p.18 #13 · p.18 #13 · Bridges of the World

A few more bridges for Curtis..... the first is the Ambassador Bridge between Windsor, Ontario and Detroit, Michigan. Touted to be the busiest international suspension bridge in the world AFAIK.

Cheers and good light,
David

D71_0409 by dhamments2013, on Flickr

© dhamments 2014

Sea Cliff Bridge, Grand Pacific Drive, New South Wales, Australia

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Rob_O
• •
p.18 #14 · p.18 #14 · Bridges of the World

Some beautiful shots from around the world in this thread. I have a few -- including several better known bridges -- so I'll start with a more local example.

Five Arches bridge, Virginia Water (Surrey/Berkshire, UK).

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:06 PM
shekarn64
• • •
p.18 #15 · p.18 #15 · Bridges of the World

Squamish, Vancouver.

Jul 31, 2014 at 02:13 PM
shekarn64
• • •
p.18 #16 · p.18 #16 · Bridges of the World

Don't know the exact location - but from the White-Pass Train!

Jul 31, 2014 at 02:17 PM
Tront
• •
p.18 #17 · p.18 #17 · Bridges of the World

BB (classic shot)

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:15 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #18 · p.18 #18 · Bridges of the World

Some very fine work here folks. Clearly we have some talented photographers stopping by this thread, for which I'm grateful. I'm not surprised, of course, because there are many fine photographers drawn to FM. But here we have bridges, both grand and modest. Some are engineering feats and some a rather delicate works of art. How wonderful to see them all. Tell your friends folks and lets keep the photos coming.

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vZVujMtJ4F4/U4_YujOr4LI/AAAAAAAAYXg/izCPmUSOpyY/s800/BayBridgeEastDuotone.jpg

This is worth looking at in part because this section of the Oakland-Bay bridge has been replaced by a new, much more dramatic span and will soon be demolished. Interestingly, my next door neighbor is a superintendent with the company that will be taking this span down. As you can imagine, this will be quite an undertaking. I did ask Steve if I could visit the site and take some photos and he said yes. It hasn't happened yet, but hopefully before winter arrives I'll get out there. Here's a closeup from a publication showing the new span adjacent to the old...

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/19171pkc8o480jpg/k-bigpic.jpg

Aug 02, 2014 at 12:53 AM
Tront
• •
p.18 #19 · p.18 #19 · Bridges of the World

Curtis, it's all thanks to you. If you not opened the topic, we have not had the opportunity to see these beautiful pictures of the great engineering works of humanity, creating and build amazing bridges of our planet. Thank you for a great theme. And again view on Brooklyn Bridge from Manhattan bridge.

Aug 02, 2014 at 10:37 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.18 #20 · p.18 #20 · Bridges of the World

Thanks Dmitry. I started another thread almost four years ago in the Nikon Forum with the title Manual Focus Nikon Glass that at this moment has 81,666 posts and still going strong. When folks thank me I always say that although I started that conversation, it really belongs to everyone who participates. You've been a frequent contributor to this thread with some exceptional work. The thread certainly belongs to you as well. The most recent offering is stunning. Thanks for dropping in from time to time and thanks for inspiring us with your work.

Aug 03, 2014 at 12:10 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.