Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              19       20       end

Bridges of the World

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Bridges of the World

I recently started a thread in this forum focused on the Golden Gate bridge, the iconic bridge well known around the world. I've shared a few photos and others responded to my invitation and posted their own photos. Some of the folks posting live in the San Francisco Bay Area and some have come on holiday. One person mentioned that he enjoys the thread but the only bridges he knows are the ones on the East Coast where he lives. I joked he should buy a plane ticket, but I also suggested that he start a thread that welcomed photos from bridges around the world. This afternoon I decided that I'd give it a shot myself. The San Francisco region has quite a few bridges spanning the Bay and rivers of the region. I've also encountered a number of interesting bridges and know there are folks who visit FM who could contribute to this conversation. I'll begin with a photo of the Oakland-Bay bridge which was built during the same decade as the much more famous Golden Gate bridge. You're welcome to comment on this photo but I hope what you'll do is share with us photos of bridges you've encountered or live near that have inspired you to lift camera to eye. Lets talk about bridges...

Shot with a D700 with a 24 f/2.8 N.C. AI manual focus lens, hand held.

Jun 02, 2014 at 07:17 PM
Chris Moy
• • •
p.1 #2 · Bridges of the World

NICE shot! Here's the 59th Street Bridge at sunset.

Jun 02, 2014 at 08:07 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Bridges of the World

Thanks Chris. This is what I mean... there are plenty of bridges worth photographing. I doubt this bridge is on many top ten lists but this is an excellent photo. This is what my friend Rinie refers to as the "blue hour." I'll post a photo of a bridge at the blue hour taken when I visited Rotterdam in 2010. I was on top of the Euro Mast shooting down toward the Maas River at the Erasmus bridge sometimes called "The Swan." We'll doubtless see more photos of that bridge once Rinie shows up...

Jun 02, 2014 at 08:13 PM
Rinie Hoff
• • •
p.1 #4 · Bridges of the World

Ahh! You started a great thread!

Of course I have an answer to that, I live close to a very nice bridge in Rotterdam, the Erasmus bridge. I think the bridge was build in 1999, and designed by the architect Ben van Berkel.

The first photo is a panorama photo, taken with a D700 and a Nikkor 85mm H C, f1.8

The other ones were taken when a bridge, designed by the Spanish architect Calatrava (the tutor of Ben van Berkel of the Erasmus bridge, was transported over the river Maas, and had to pass the Erasmus bridge on its way across the sea to Ireland. It was quite an event. Both are beautiful bridges.

Taken with a D200, with a Nikkor 18-200mm.

Jun 02, 2014 at 08:40 PM
Rinie Hoff
• • •
p.1 #5 · Bridges of the World

Curtis and Chris, great photo's.
Curtis, I doubted whether to post a photo taken from the Euromast. A good choice, as you posted one now!
I'm curious where this will lead us!

Jun 02, 2014 at 08:42 PM
MDoc9523
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · Bridges of the World

Just to test the boundaries of this thread, I thought I'd start with one from Charleston, S.C.

Jun 02, 2014 at 08:53 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Bridges of the World

Clearly, that will be up to the folks who visit this forum. I extended an invitation on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread so friends will perhaps stop by, but this is really for everyone who wants to celebrate bridges of the world.

Here's a black and white conversion of a photo I took of the other major bridge crossing the northern reaches of San Francisco Bay. This is the Richmond-San Rafael bridge shot with a 400mm lens from the shoreline not too far from the entrance of San Quentin prison.

Jun 02, 2014 at 08:53 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Bridges of the World

What we need to know Ray, is whether that is a bridge over troubled water?

I think we're looking for something a bit more dramatic than that... not necessarily bigger. Here is a very small bridge of little consequence apart from the fact it is over four hundred years old on a canal in Delft, the Netherlands... No cars cross that bridge.

Edited on Jun 02, 2014 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

Jun 02, 2014 at 08:59 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Bridges of the World

Here is the Gapstow bridge in Central Park. This is one of the more famous bridges in the park, and has been seen in a lot of movies and television shows.

© CH3NO2 2014

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:00 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Bridges of the World

This thread is for you... whatever your name is... we know you love dragsters but little else. Perhaps you'd care to drop your first name in your Profile. And yes, it was your comment that motivated me to start this thread. Sweet photo my friend.

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Bridges of the World

CGrindahl wrote:
This thread is for you... whatever your name is... we know you love dragsters but little else. Perhaps you'd care to drop your first name in your Profile. And yes, it was your comment that motivated me to start this thread. Sweet photo my friend.

Thank you I appreciate it. My name is Charles.

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:12 PM
Rinie Hoff
• • •
p.1 #12 · Bridges of the World

Hey Curtis! You're posting all photo's from my neck of the woods! ;-)
What can I do? ;-)

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:20 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Bridges of the World

Golden hour of the 59th Street bridge.

© CH3NO2 2014

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:24 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Bridges of the World

Rinie Hoff wrote:
Hey Curtis! You're posting all photo's from my neck of the woods! ;-)
What can I do? ;-)

What can I say Rinie... I was smitten by the beauty of your home when I visited you four years ago. And besides, you drove from the wedding and I traveled down the canal with the bride and groom... If I didn't take that last photo NO ONE would have... Amazing how these boats can squeeze beneath these low bridges built centuries ago...

Rinie works in Delft folks... though she lives in Rotterdam at the edge of the Maas River near the Erasmus bridge.

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:31 PM
Go4Long
• • •
p.1 #15 · Bridges of the World

The peace bridge in Calgary, Alberta Canada. I need to go get a more current shot of it at some point, but this one will do for now...it was about -20 celsius (-4 Farenheit) when I took this.

Downtown by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Jun 02, 2014 at 10:50 PM
CH3NO2
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Bridges of the World

Bow bridge Central Park, NYC.

© CH3NO2 2014

Jun 02, 2014 at 11:21 PM
georgms
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Bridges of the World

Here's another image from a european bridge. It's the Øresund Bridge located between Copenhagen (Denmark) and Malmö (Sweden).
For fans of very good crime-drama series: this bridge and the scandinavian regions around it are location for a fantastic TV-series, called The Bridge.

A vacation-snap, taken with the Ais 135/2 on my old Nikon D1 back in July 2000.
This 2.7-megapixel-wonder wasn't exactly built for MF-Nikkor-users and in this case I've managed to overexpose the scene by a healthy amount.
But family and friends liked this picture for it's artistic look

Unbenannt von georgsfoto auf Flickr
Øresund bridge, shot July 2000, Nikon D1 + Ais-Nikkor 135/2

Jun 02, 2014 at 11:24 PM
mp356
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Bridges of the World

Great idea for a thread Curtis.

Railroad trestle at Letchworth State Park.

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:22 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · Bridges of the World

Wow! Wonderful contributions from New York City, Calgary, Alberta, Denmark and upstate New York.

You're a braver man than I am Steve, holding a camera with temperatures below zero. I grew up in Minnesota so I know what winter is all about, but from hanging out on FM with a fellow from Calgary, I know your brand of winter is something completely different. Definitely take a few bridge photos in the summer, whenever that arrives...

Charles, thanks for introducing yourself. I see you have much to contribute to this thread, which is wonderful.

My buddies from the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread have made their contributions as well. Georg, that is a stunning image of a spectacular bridge. Thanks for sharing it with all of us. And Scott, love this image, ever mindful of course, of your photos of your friend's model railroad layout with its lovely bridge. This works very well. Really stunning photo.

So this is how its done folks. Drop those photos on the thread and join in the banter. It doesn't get better than this when talking photos in cyberspace.

Jun 03, 2014 at 03:54 AM
pokertony211

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #20 · Bridges of the World

Great

Jun 03, 2014 at 07:54 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password