New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Rust On Hotshoe - Canon 7D

Side1Cincy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rust On Hotshoe - Canon 7D

I've got a Canon 7D and it appears I have a small bit of what appears to be rust on my hotshoe. I'm not sure, but I believe this is causing issues with my flash. Has this happened to anyone? Is there any way to clean it off or easily replace it on my own? Does Canon happen to have a general price guide on how much a service request would cost to fix this?

More often than I'd like, the flash fires at full blast and completely overexposes the photo. Not sure if the contacts on the flash are dirty or if the hotshoe is causing the issues.

Any information is appreciated.

Jun 01, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rust On Hotshoe - Canon 7D

I am not sure about a fix, but to start with I would gently abrade (scotchbrite or similar) the corrosion, spray a small disposable cloth with WD-40, and apply a very fine film to the hotshoe.

Then I'd thoroughly wipe it off leaving the barest of coatings.

Then, I'd test my flash and exposures and keep the hotshoe maintained.

Jun 01, 2014 at 11:31 PM
PhotoTeacher
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rust On Hotshoe - Canon 7D

Can you post a photo of the shoe? Depending on where and how much of the "rust," it MAY be causing the problem, but unless it is on any of the contacts on the shoe it is doubtful. As suggested, try cleaning the contacts on the shoe with something very mildly abrasive and those on the flash foot.

Jun 02, 2014 at 08:44 AM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rust On Hotshoe - Canon 7D

It sounds more like you have a loose/worn shoe on the flash. The mounting tracks on the camera's hotshoe don't have any affect on the flash. They used to come through painted black.

Jun 04, 2014 at 08:39 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.