Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Hendrik, Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
  

nMP experience?
  
 
OntheRez
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · nMP experience?


Rajan, would love to see a pix of your setup highlighting how you've handled cabling and boxes. Would be instructive for all of us.

I think my use of the phase "dumbed down interface" was unfortunate and didn't convey what I was really trying to talk about. I am quite familiar with a command line interface having once been a UNIX sys admin. I won't even pretend to claim I'm still conversant with the BASH shell, VIM, and the nuances of command modifier strings. It's clearly a use or lose it thing and I haven't used it in years. I do still perform specific operations at the terminal mostly relating to modifying some of OSX's presets. When doing so, I am cautious and keep a backup of the original file.

What I was trying to get at with my "dumbed" statement was the sense that Apple is attempting to converge the interfaces of all of its devices (I think this is a known fact) and that doing so to a workstation can be, and I believe is, counter productive for those of us who are using these powerful devices to do complex creative tasks.

In my case in addition to substantial photo processing I also do some contract CAD work and still do a fair amount of statistical analysis for various entities. In other words, I have complex data sets, use multiple tools, require powerful modeling devices, and output in several ways. I don't have an iPad though I do use an iPhone. It is relatively self-contained. I use it as a phone, a web browser and have a few apps like a star chart and reference material. I'm guessing I don't use the "smart" phone like many do.

Like most of us I'm pretty well tied to Adobe until/unless something better happens. Using their tools in a closed environment, i.e., without easy and regular access to the source files would be difficult to impossible. I'm well aware that Apple is no longer a computer company and that those of us who are deeply invested in their ecology are no longer particularly important to the corporate bottom line. What I was trying to communicate is that it would be - to me - of great value if I had control of what the interface showed or didnít show and it is infinitely irritating to have a procedure that has worked in a particular way since say System 6 abruptly change without warning or apparent rationale.

I'm well off post processing here, so I'll stop, though I would really love to see a pix of Rajan's set up.

Robert



Jun 11, 2014 at 05:08 PM
butchM
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · nMP experience?


OntheRez wrote:
What I was trying to get at with my "dumbed" statement was the sense that Apple is attempting to converge the interfaces of all of its devices (I think this is a known fact) and that doing so to a workstation can be, and I believe is, counter productive for those of us who are using these powerful devices to do complex creative tasks.


How so? I fail to see how a unified appearance between OS X and iOS will reduce functionality and force users of Apple hardware and operating systems to be less productive?

The biggest changes in Yosemite is the overall general appearance of the Finder and core apps and improvements to efficiency and broadening the scope of capabilities to the underpinnings of OS X. That should in no way hamper productivity to accomplish "complex creative tasks" ... actually, it will more than likely enhance the user experience by accomplishing more with less effort. Especially considering the tools you mention are actually provided by parties other than Apple. So those resulting efforts shouldn't change.

Dumping skeuomorphism for a flatter look isn't necessarily a bad move. Offering the ability to accomplish at least a portion of, or limited version of our tasks on iOS devices isn't a bad move either. Heck, it won't be long before our mobile devices will have very similar hardware specs as our desktop and laptop workstations ... Apple may as well be ahead of that curve rather than wait to catch up after the fact.

One day, in the not too distant future, there will only be a singular OS, no need for two types.



Jun 11, 2014 at 05:44 PM
snapsy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #3 · nMP experience?


15Bit wrote:
I think at this point i would also sit on the fence for a few months until LR6 releases. If it has GPU support (especially multi-GPU support), then the Trashcan becomes attractive. If it doesn't, then you have to make a more difficult choice.

I'm not so sure about the clones. In fairness to Apple, whilst they charge a premium they usually make a good job of the engineering. The clones often suffer critical weaknesses. And even several years on, i've yet to see an iMac clone that has the same level of class and style about it.


Based on comments from an ACR engineer on the Adobe forums, it will be quite a while before Adobe supports GPU acceleration for their imaging pipeline. According to the engineer it would be exceedingly difficult to implement at this time.



Jun 11, 2014 at 05:57 PM
gdanmitchell
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #4 · nMP experience?


aubsxc wrote:
Speak for yourself. As a long term (25+ year) Unix user, I can get a lot of my work done more efficiently through the CLI/terminal using the immensely powerful built in command and scripting tools in Unix than I can through any dumbed down interface using a GUI.


First computer I used was a PDP-11, so I know arcane methods of operation computer software, too. (It was at one of the first dozen or so nodes on the "Arpanet," which later became something that you might know by a different name today. ;-)

If you like the terminal, you can launch the "Terminal" app on a Mac and have at it. :-)

Dan



Jun 11, 2014 at 07:18 PM
aubsxc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · nMP experience?


gdanmitchell wrote:
First computer I used was a PDP-11, so I know arcane methods of operation computer software, too. (It was at one of the first dozen or so nodes on the "Arpanet," which later became something that you might know by a different name today. ;-)

If you like the terminal, you can launch the "Terminal" app on a Mac and have at it. :-)

Dan



I love the terminal, and use it all the time on my self-built workstation running Solaris. Heck, I even use it in Windows.

I don't own a Mac, but I imagine the CLI would offer the same functionality in OSX as it does in Unix. If Apple did not restrict use of their OS on Apple only hardware I would very likely also have a workstation running OSX.



Jun 11, 2014 at 07:30 PM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



ggreene
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #6 · nMP experience?


butchM wrote:
Dumping skeuomorphism for a flatter look isn't necessarily a bad move.


Most people probably don't care but I just wish there were more options to customize the UI but Apple seems intent to offer nothing of the sort. There is suppose to be a dark theme for Yosemite but I have my doubts as to how far that will extend into the UI. Probably just a few color tweaks and not really a theme. The whole white palette with bright colors is a bit much and many times not very readable (at least in iOS7).

snapsy wrote:
Based on comments from an ACR engineer on the Adobe forums, it will be quite a while before Adobe supports GPU acceleration for their imaging pipeline. According to the engineer it would be exceedingly difficult to implement at this time.


That's disappointing. I realize that Pixelmator is not at the level of PS but they seem to have rolled out multi-gpu support and they probably don't have any where near the level of resources that Adobe has.



Jun 11, 2014 at 08:39 PM
butchM
Online
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #7 · nMP experience?


ggreene wrote:
That's disappointing. I realize that Pixelmator is not at the level of PS but they seem to have rolled out multi-gpu support and they probably don't have any where near the level of resources that Adobe has.


Well ... if any developer had to engineer for every possible GPU configuration that is found on the Windows platform ... it would be a daunting task for even the largest concerns. Not that I am in any way defending the good folks at Adobe ...

While some folks lament that Apple appears to be a "closed" system, maintaining a limited number of possible hardware configurations make it possible for developers of meager means like Pixelmator to take advantage of such resources. Thus passing along those advancements to end users in a timely and affordable manner.



Jun 11, 2014 at 09:05 PM
snapsy
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #8 · nMP experience?


butchM wrote:
Well ... if any developer had to engineer for every possible GPU configuration that is found on the Windows platform ... it would be a daunting task for even the largest concerns. Not that I am in any way defending the good folks at Adobe ...

While some folks lament that Apple appears to be a "closed" system, maintaining a limited number of possible hardware configurations make it possible for developers of meager means like Pixelmator to take advantage of such resources. Thus passing along those advancements to end users in a timely and affordable manner.


There aren't too many GPU acceleration platforms. I think the main two are nVidia's CUDA architecture and OpenCL.



Jun 11, 2014 at 09:24 PM
aubsxc
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #9 · nMP experience?


butchM wrote:
Well ... if any developer had to engineer for every possible GPU configuration that is found on the Windows platform ... it would be a daunting task for even the largest concerns. Not that I am in any way defending the good folks at Adobe ...

While some folks lament that Apple appears to be a "closed" system, maintaining a limited number of possible hardware configurations make it possible for developers of meager means like Pixelmator to take advantage of such resources. Thus passing along those advancements to end users in a timely and affordable manner.


Developers don't have to write code for every GPU platform available, only OpenCL which is the most popular GPU compute platform available today. Or with Nvidia CUDA which is only available with Nvidia GPUs. Also, many small developers get by just fine writing code for the Windows platform, and I can't imagine it is less expensive writing and testing code for OSX than it is for Windows. Besides, the potential market is huge with Windows compared to OSX.



Jun 11, 2014 at 10:58 PM
1       2      
3
       end




FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
3
       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password