New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Red on blue

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Red on blue

I went back to my place for a sunset this time. The sky's looked promising earlier but the few clouds became denser and it was pretty well socked in when I arrived a full hour before sunset.

I walked all around looking for other compositions, but clean views of the mountain are limited. So I got a chair and set up near waters edge and worked sodokus while awaiting the light. Finally near sunset a little shaft of light appeared. My view in that direction is blocked so I could not see the hole in the clouds that must have been there.

The chair allowed me to use a lower camera position, but that hardly changed anything at this focal length. I put the horizon off center and I could crop some of the water for more.

The result here is not very dramatic, but I thought it had a certain charm. I am presenting a version that is processed well short of what I would print in terms of saturation and clarity (IE, no Topaz)

I am not seeking praise for this but instead want a progress (or for that matter regression) report. Tell me what you would do differently.

I have no illusions that this is a world class scene, it is mostly a place that has similar elements to one and a good place to develop my craft.

May 31, 2014 at 08:36 AM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Red on blue

ben egbert wrote:
I went back to my place for a sunset this time. The sky's looked promising earlier but the few clouds became denser and it was pretty well socked in when I arrived a full hour before sunset.

I walked all around looking for other compositions, but clean views of the mountain are limited. So I got a chair and set up near waters edge and worked sodokus while awaiting the light. Finally near sunset a little shaft of light appeared. My view in that direction is blocked so I could not see the hole in the clouds that must have
...Show more

Hi Ben, pretty shot again. I would clone out the branches in the lower left corner, I know you are getting mixed messages on how much pop to introduce to the image but for me on this one I would shoot for a little more, I would especially look to increase the definition of the clouds if possible.

This is a lovely location, I wish I had such a place close by to practice.

Mike

May 31, 2014 at 10:54 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Red on blue

pike40 wrote:
Hi Ben, pretty shot again. I would clone out the branches in the lower left corner, I know you are getting mixed messages on how much pop to introduce to the image but for me on this one I would shoot for a little more, I would especially look to increase the definition of the clouds if possible.

This is a lovely location, I wish I had such a place close by to practice.

Mike

Thanks, my thoughts on the branch would be a 16x9 crop that would eliminate that area entirely. As far as cloud definition, you should have seen the RAW. I had to do a 3 image blend and darken the sky considerably to get this much. But my Topaz version has more. I may show that one later.

May 31, 2014 at 11:25 AM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Red on blue

ben egbert wrote:
Thanks, my thoughts on the branch would be a 16x9 crop that would eliminate that area entirely. As far as cloud definition, you should have seen the RAW. I had to do a 3 image blend and darken the sky considerably to get this much. But my Topaz version has more. I may show that one later./quote]

Have you tried the Grad ND tool on the sky?

May 31, 2014 at 11:40 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Red on blue

pike40 wrote:
I did from the top down and then from the bottom up with a full stop each. What fools you is that in order to keep any detail in the trees I had to use a bright exposure. I used darker images for sky and reflection and then used shadow highlight for more DR then the grad filters for even more.

I am showing a straight out of camera for the bright image and a Pop Topaz version of the finished version with the branch cloned out.

sooc of the brightest blend image

Pop topaz added to final finished image.

May 31, 2014 at 11:44 AM
pike40
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Red on blue

I like the topaz version very much Ben.

Mike

May 31, 2014 at 12:23 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Red on blue

pike40 wrote:
I like the topaz version very much Ben.

Mike

Thanks Mike, good to have some idea of what direction works for others.

May 31, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Nitro098

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Red on blue

very nice. I am thinking about getting a nikon 24-70. your photo really makes me want one now.

May 31, 2014 at 07:38 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Red on blue

I like the topaz version too

Jun 02, 2014 at 10:45 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Red on blue

Thanks nitro098 and wildcat_fans. I printed a test print and I am thinking it's too blue. The problem is it was darker than it appears here. The light version is misleading, although it shows the green trees properly, the sky was much darker.

When I blend dark and light I end up with blue and it was probably just grey. Also the topaz version conveys a lighter look than in reality, but if I darken it it won't print well.

Jun 02, 2014 at 11:10 AM
hewittalfred

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Red on blue

I like it, although a little natural blue cast, it doesn't seem "too" blue.

Maybe clone out the branch on the bottom left.

I think that the "pop topaz" improves the trees a lot as well

Jun 02, 2014 at 02:26 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Red on blue

hewittalfred wrote:
I like it, although a little natural blue cast, it doesn't seem "too" blue.

Maybe clone out the branch on the bottom left.

I think that the "pop topaz" improves the trees a lot as well

Yes, I cloned it out the branch before printing. I have since desaturated both blue and cyan and decided it was better as is. For web, it probably needs to be a bit darker overall to represent the actual scene.

Jun 02, 2014 at 03:56 PM
Mister Bean
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Red on blue

I like the composition. I didn't pick up on the light on the mountains for a while, and it has a bit of a blue tint.

To shift the focus to the light on the mountains I increased the saturation for them and the trees while lowering it in the sky, and burned the top and bottom (which also gives the sky a little doming effect). And made it warmer overall.

http://www.myrealnameismatt.com/Misc/Miranda/red_blue.jpg

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:52 AM
armysoldier21

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Red on blue

My only thought with this image is pure beauty. I think I may like it slightly better without the red cast from the sunset, but that is just opinion without fully knowing the look.

Jun 03, 2014 at 05:31 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Red on blue

Mister Bean wrote:
I like the composition. I didn't pick up on the light on the mountains for a while, and it has a bit of a blue tint.

To shift the focus to the light on the mountains I increased the saturation for them and the trees while lowering it in the sky, and burned the top and bottom (which also gives the sky a little doming effect). And made it warmer overall.

http://www.myrealnameismatt.com/Misc/Miranda/red_blue.jpg

Very nice. The color on the mountain was very subtle in person. I almost missed it. I knew I could bring it up in post processing so I did. You enhanced it even more. Ordinarily when processing for web I back away from my favorite. Sometimes it is preferred. Thats why I post these here to help discover what experienced photographers like.

Jun 03, 2014 at 08:14 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Red on blue

armysoldier21 wrote:
My only thought with this image is pure beauty. I think I may like it slightly better without the red cast from the sunset, but that is just opinion without fully knowing the look.

Thanks for your take on it. I assume then that Mr Beans rework is the wrong direction for your taste?

Jun 03, 2014 at 08:16 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.