FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lost Dutchman stardust

alatoo60
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lost Dutchman stardust

Here is another picture from Lost Dutchman area, with a view of Flatiron, and selfie as a bonus.
There were funny loud sounds coming from the butte at night, it took me some time to figure out what it was: bobcat mewing

C&C are very welcome.

Sasha.

© Lumiscience 2014

Edited on Jun 02, 2014 at 11:52 PM · View previous versions

May 30, 2014 at 07:01 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lost Dutchman stardust

Hey Sasha,

I like the warmer tones in this. I think it works. I do think you could have tilted the composition up a little more to lose that bottom bush in the foreground. The shot is mainly about the stars, the Flat Irons are a nice center piece to drape the stars over, but I don't think you need as much ground area in a shot like this that has stars in it.

How big could you print this and not have noticeable noise that would take away from the shot. Because this does seem a little noisy. Oh and thanks for giving us your best side in the shot....

Jim

May 30, 2014 at 07:23 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lost Dutchman stardust

Sasha,
This works for me as the Milky Way balances it perfectly. The golden tones, human element and composition make this image very special.
Fred

May 30, 2014 at 08:57 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lost Dutchman stardust

JimFox wrote:
Hey Sasha,

I like the warmer tones in this. I think it works. I do think you could have tilted the composition up a little more to lose that bottom bush in the foreground. The shot is mainly about the stars, the Flat Irons are a nice center piece to drape the stars over, but I don't think you need as much ground area in a shot like this that has stars in it.

How big could you print this and not have noticeable noise that would take away from the shot. Because this does seem a little noisy. Oh and thanks
...Show more

Jim,
Thank you very much for the feedback!
The bush on foreground does not bother me, ground is balanced with the sky, and it shows the road that leads in the same direction as Milky Way, so this was pre-concieved idea, just as my "best side"
Regarding noise - there was no noise reduction applied other than in-camera, so if I ever decide to print it, I will probably clean it up. It is not very likely I will ever print it big - I have other pictures for that, with no selfie included.

Fred Miranda wrote:
Sasha,
This works for me as the Milky Way balances it perfectly. The golden tones, human element and composition make this image very special.
Fred

Fred, thank you!
Glad you like it!

Sasha.

May 31, 2014 at 05:25 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lost Dutchman stardust

I like it!
Jim ^-^!

May 31, 2014 at 05:32 PM
stanparker
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lost Dutchman stardust

Very nice, I like it.

May 31, 2014 at 06:07 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lost Dutchman stardust

Nice comp.
Shame you have city glow towards the south. If you are shooting jpegs (in camera noise reduction), I'd start shooting raw for your night sky. You'll have a bit more room to fiddle.

I enjoy all the critters that keep me company at night except for a lurking grizzly. Never heard a cat though. When I was out for the dud meteor shower recently I enjoyed bull frogs, owls, a horse, and an entire river bank lit up by lightening bugs like Christmas Day.

David

May 31, 2014 at 07:59 PM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lost Dutchman stardust

Love the comp and capture. . . and would have love to had heard the Bobcat mewing!!
Dave

May 31, 2014 at 10:24 PM
camerapapi
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lost Dutchman stardust

I think it is a great shot with great composition.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Jun 01, 2014 at 02:24 AM
berenosphoto
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lost Dutchman stardust

Spectacular, love it very much.

Jun 01, 2014 at 03:28 AM
69charger
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lost Dutchman stardust

Although I am far from being a professional photographer, there is great appeal and composition to this piece. Yes there may be an abundance of noise, but nevertheless it stirs emotions of our insignificance in the universe. A single tiny human, alone in a wasteland, standing before the mesa under the eternal sky. You don't have a photo, but rather a story.
Darren.

Jun 01, 2014 at 05:54 PM
alatoo60
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lost Dutchman stardust

lionking wrote:
I like it!
Jim ^-^!

Andrey, thank you!

stanparker wrote:
Very nice, I like it.

Stan, thanks, glad you like it!

dgdg wrote:
Nice comp.
Shame you have city glow towards the south. If you are shooting jpegs (in camera noise reduction), I'd start shooting raw for your night sky. You'll have a bit more room to fiddle.

I enjoy all the critters that keep me company at night except for a lurking grizzly. Never heard a cat though. When I was out for the dud meteor shower recently I enjoyed bull frogs, owls, a horse, and an entire river bank lit up by lightening bugs like Christmas Day.

David

David, light pollution, unfortunately, is hard to avoid, I got it even in remoteness of Toroweap. But the same city lights provide "light painting" on a butte, so I don't mind.

I shoot in raw only (for the past 5years). And I miss lighting bugs, we had lots of them in Ohio, but the rumor is, hee are some locations in SE Arizona that have them, too.

dbehrens wrote:
Love the comp and capture. . . and would have love to had heard the Bobcat mewing!!
Dave

Dave, thank you! I think its a bobcat because the sound definitely belonged to a large cat,
and I've seen some bobcats in the area.

camerapapi wrote:
I think it is a great shot with great composition.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

William, thank you!

berenosphoto wrote:
Spectacular, love it very much.

Thank you!

69charger wrote:
Although I am far from being a professional photographer, there is great appeal and composition to this piece. Yes there may be an abundance of noise, but nevertheless it stirs emotions of our insignificance in the universe. A single tiny human, alone in a wasteland, standing before the mesa under the eternal sky. You don't have a photo, but rather a story.
Darren.

Darren,
That is exactly the emotion I was trying to convey, so I am very glad that my attempt was fruitful. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Sasha.

Jun 02, 2014 at 12:26 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.