Beginning to try some senior portraits....here is a recent one...C&C welcome

© isebear 2012

May 30, 2014 at 03:13 PM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Senior Portrait

Howdy.

Everything I write here on FM is intended to help. Everything I write is in a truly friendly spirit and tone of voice.

Unfortunately, you can't hear my voice on this forum, and written comments can be easily misunderstood for tone and intent. That is why I prefer to speak with people on a phone call when giving them advice and giving critical opinions (critique) of their images. Otherwise, what is intended to help someone can be taken wrongly, and that defeats the purpose of the communication. And, because I want to avoid flaming and trolls, I tend to refrain from writing some things here that could be instrumental in helping someone improve, but may be taken out of context or misused by others. So, I limit my written comments here...though I am sure some will disagree on that last point.

1. She is a pretty, and that always helps a photo. But I look for something more in a portrait.

2. She has a facial expression that appears to me (or gives impression) as "uncomfortable" or "concerned." I don't find this appealing on this teen in this image.

3. It looks like she is just standing there waiting for the photo to be taken. Bored looking.

4. Composition is not the best. See how much sky you have, but notice how close her hand is to the edge of the frame. Also, her head is relatively small in the image.

5. The image appears (to me using a calibrated monitor) to be a little dim (underexposed) and the sky has a dull (underexposed) look to it.

As shown in this image, the person in the image fails to hold my attention.

I hope these comments help you.

May 30, 2014 at 03:39 PM
GoodEgg
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Senior Portrait

Hey, pretty good for just getting into seniors!
SH's suggestions are easy fixes (except for the pose and expression). Bring in the right slider in Level from 255 to around 210. You could pump up the contrast a bit. Level the horizon. Up the Saturation.

Post others?

May 31, 2014 at 12:58 AM
isebear
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Senior Portrait

SH and Goodegg, thank you both for taking the time to respond and offer advice. Attached is one of the other photos taken on the same day but at a different location; perhaps this one is a bit better...C&C welcome

© isebear 2012

Jun 02, 2014 at 08:13 AM
exposedme
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Senior Portrait

Both of these shots seem to focus more on the location than on the person. She seems much more into the second shot and has a really nice smile.

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:47 AM
nextelbuddy
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Senior Portrait

exposedme wrote:
Both of these shots seem to focus more on the location than on the person. She seems much more into the second shot and has a really nice smile.

yup looks more like environmental portraits which i dont mind one bit. one thing i would have done is got closer shot wide like you did and then zoomed in for a close up using the opposite end of the bridge archway to frame upper torso area so you had 2 looks there.

I much prefer 2nd one overall.

i dont mind the first one and probably would have picked it myself as well. subjects dont always have to be smiling... for example Lisa Holloway... her subjects rarely smile and they still look great.

Jun 02, 2014 at 09:55 AM
isebear
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Senior Portrait

Thank you for the input....much appreciated

Jun 02, 2014 at 10:55 AM
isebear
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Senior Portrait

Exposedme,

Here is an image that is what I believe you were talking about...

© isebear 2012

Jun 02, 2014 at 11:11 AM
isebear
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Senior Portrait

One more for C&C

Jun 02, 2014 at 11:12 AM
hleidich
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Senior Portrait

I agree she should be more prominent in the picture...problem with #2 is her behind is too prominent...she won't like that one...I like #1 just needs some post processing to make it better.

Jun 02, 2014 at 11:40 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Senior Portrait

Yes, get in closer. The first few are not very flattering of her IMHO. Some practice on interacting with your model and posing techniques to flatter your female subject would be beneficial here if you want to get to the next level. The last one seems the most flattering so far, but you should be at least 15 feet closer or shooting with a longer length if these are to be more marketable senior portraits. Also her skin tone seems all over the map. She is very orange in the second one. Just my 2 cents.

Jun 02, 2014 at 07:42 PM
Bewithabob

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Senior Portrait

thanks for sharing. it's a good place to learn from others.

Jun 04, 2014 at 10:47 AM
isebear
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Senior Portrait

Here is a more recent try...same location but different subject...again, C&C Welcome

© isebear 2012

Jun 04, 2014 at 10:51 AM
lharvest
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Senior Portrait

I like it - seems to take into consideration a lot of the suggestion made in the forum.

This one seems to lack the depth of the others, though.

Jun 04, 2014 at 12:19 PM
ctm050969

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Senior Portrait

Lots of good suggestions here. I think you've got some really good shots.

Jun 04, 2014 at 10:58 PM
dpacker

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Senior Portrait

It's a nice scene and a very pretty girl. A couple things I might have done differently - a little less sky and a little lower on her because her hand is really close to the bottom edge. I think I would have also rotated her a bit or had her do something with her hands to give it a little more life. In post, I would probably up the saturation a bit. I love using grass like this for photos. It makes for a nice background and the soft colors usually make the subject pop off of the photo.

Jun 09, 2014 at 07:50 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.