Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 1st print on Epson Fine Art Velvet paper?

jphendren
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1st print on Epson Fine Art Velvet paper?

Hello,

I have been printing landscapes on an Epson R1900 printer, using Epson premium photo paper glossy. I have also used Epson ultra premium photo paper luster with great results. The colors of my prints match my screen fine. Today I received a pack of 13 X 19" Epson Fine Art Velvet paper, cut a piece in half to 9.5 X 13" to print an 8 x 12" image on. For some reason when I use all of the same settings as before, the colors on this new paper do not match the screen. The sky is not as dark, and overall just looks bad. I am printing from Photoshop CS 5, and letting the printer manage colors. I have the correct paper profile selected. I've done one on gloss, and another of the same image on Velvet, and the gloss image is just much better. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jared

May 29, 2014 at 08:33 PM
John Caldwell
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1st print on Epson Fine Art Velvet paper?

jphendren wrote:
…I am letting the printer manage colors..(but).. I have the correct paper profile selected..

1) These two statements are contradictory. Your paper's ICC profile has no impact on printing when the printer is managing color.
2) There is no reason that the same file, processed the same way, will look the same on two different papers. Each paper type reacts differently with the same ink, and each paper brings its own background color to the table. You must, at least, soft proof your file with the Velvet Fine Art ICC profile, on a calibrated monitor set to reasonable brightness, to a have a reasonable screen prediction of what your velvet print will look like
3) Velvet Fine is is an MK paper, not a PK paper. Your gloss and luster papers are PK papers.

Being honest, several steps in print workflow are missing here. Have you read any of the contemporary print books, such as the Schewe Digital Print, or John beards worth material? There are many gotchas to digital printing at a high level, but these books will at least get you started with proper orientation of color management and driver management.

John Caldwell

May 29, 2014 at 08:45 PM
jphendren
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1st print on Epson Fine Art Velvet paper?

"Have you read any of the contemporary print books, such as the Schewe Digital Print, or John beards worth material?"

No, I have not. I am a complete amateur when it comes to printing. I've just always used these two types of paper, and the prints looked pretty much like my Macbook Pro's monitor. In "advanced color settings," I've always set a +15 brightness. The Velvet print appears much brighter than the gloss print. I love the feel of the Velvet paper, and the colors are bright and punchy, but brighter and different than my monitor.

To this day, I do not have a calibrated monitor, but my printing on gloss/luster paper always looked fine. I guess I have some learning to do.

I'm not sure what MK paper, and PK paper means. I guess I'll go research that.

Jared

May 29, 2014 at 09:13 PM
jphendren
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1st print on Epson Fine Art Velvet paper?

"I'm not sure what MK paper, and PK paper means."

A quick search turns up that MK uses matte black ink, and PK uses photo black? My R1900 has both types of ink installed at the same time.

Jared

May 29, 2014 at 09:17 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1st print on Epson Fine Art Velvet paper?

A matte/MK paper is not ever going to look like your screen or as deeply black as a PK paper.
When you tell the printer driver software what kind of paper you're using, it auto-selects the proper
black MK or PK for the paper.

It's a different animal. As you don't currently have a color managed workflow (cal'd monitor etc etc), you're sort of randomly throwing darts at a wall trying to get a good print but that depends on your definition of 'good'. If you want 'it looks just like my monitor', then stick w/ glossy/lustre/PK type paper.

May 30, 2014 at 06:41 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.