Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Custer St Pk Buffalo Roundup

beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Custer St Pk Buffalo Roundup

Is it worth seeing for photography? I know the public must stay in one of two areas.....how does photography work from those? Do you need a long lens?

Thank you for any info...

keith

May 30, 2014 at 01:16 AM
Charlie_Boy

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Custer St Pk Buffalo Roundup

There are some good things about it and some bad. The event itself is like a tailgate party with a mass of people waiting, drinking, eating and there are about ten folks to every buffalo rounded up. Since it is an honor to be one of the cowboys/cowgirls participating, they take their time enjoying the moment and moving the cattle to the roundup area. Maybe it is one of those things you should see once but I would not go again for the roundup. However...

South Dakota is beautiful at that time of year with the fall color and the buffalo are plentiful leading up to the roundup. Herds are moved into Custer State Park for the event. After the event, when most of the tourists have moved on, it is nice to photograph the cowboys working the herd, weighing the buffalo, giving them shots, etc. And too, there is so much else to see and photograph.

Of course there is the big head monument (Mt Rushmore) and Crazy Horse Monument close by, Spearfish Canyon is wonderful to hike and photograph with the added bonus of a very good restaurant at the end of the hike (the Latchstring Restaurant). Nearby is Deadwood and Rapid City. Depending on which way you are coming or going you can visit the Devil's Tower (Wyoming), Carhenge (Alliance Nebraska), and the Badlands. Wall Drug, while toursity, has great old photos hanging on the walls and worth a stop. The Sylvan Lake Lodge is very nice place to stay in the park and is still open up to just after the roundup. In Hill City there is the Alpine Inn with its great German restaurant. And that is just starters for much more...

Jun 05, 2014 at 04:31 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Custer St Pk Buffalo Roundup

Thank you Charlie_Boy for the response and all the info. I think I'll pass on the round-up but may go anyway for the other things you mention. I'm thinking about Outdoor Photo Workshops (OPW)'s photo-shoot event with a few extra days.

Thanks much,

keith

Jun 15, 2014 at 01:14 AM
Taoguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Custer St Pk Buffalo Roundup

Charlie covered the area very well. I agree about the Round up. I would have preferred just horse back riders in the round up but there are as many trucks in the scene as horse back riders. Just something not right with a photo of 4-wheelers herding the buffalo along with cowboys/cowgirls.

The pronghorns are very active ( in rut ) at that time of the year. Get into the park prior to sunrise and you'll have the park to yourself. Most of the wildlife will be out and about early. I've been going out to the Badlands, Custer, Spearfish and the area Charlie mentioned for the past 30+ years. You are going at a great time, might catch some great colors, do a little research online, there's so much to photo. Check out Needles as well, there are some great places in the Badlands that will require a 4x4 and are pretty rutted that late in the year.

I might be out there again this year but I'm in Alaska until the 26th of Sept so if my wife & I go it will be the first part of October. As far as lens choice I always take my 500/4 & 200-400/4 for wildlife but the landscape ops are equally as plentiful.

Have a great trip exploring a much overlooked area.

Gerard

Jun 18, 2014 at 01:53 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Custer St Pk Buffalo Roundup

Thanks Gerard. More good info.
keith

Jun 20, 2014 at 11:29 PM
SKYWESTR
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Custer St Pk Buffalo Roundup

I grew up in and around Rapid City and Wall (first job was at Wall Drug). You'll get better photos of bison roaming in Custer State Park than at the round up and you don't need anything longer than 200mm. Roughlock Falls in Spearfish Canyon is toward the northern end of the hills. And the Badlands NP and Wall is about a 1.5hr drive from Spearfish and totally worth it if you like landscape shots.

Jul 02, 2014 at 01:57 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Custer St Pk Buffalo Roundup

thanks SKYWESTR. You reminded me that I went through there as a kid on a vacation trip or two, and I remember the signs for Wall Drug. Seems like they were everywhere.

Thanks for the info too.
k

Jul 02, 2014 at 11:33 PM
rcm123
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Custer St Pk Buffalo Roundup

SKYWESTR wrote:
I grew up in and around Rapid City and Wall (first job was at Wall Drug). You'll get better photos of bison roaming in Custer State Park than at the round up and you don't need anything longer than 200mm. Roughlock Falls in Spearfish Canyon is toward the northern end of the hills. And the Badlands NP and Wall is about a 1.5hr drive from Spearfish and totally worth it if you like landscape shots.

Skywestr: I am also very interested in photographing the buffalo. Sounds like Custer State Park is a good location. What do you think is the best time of year for photographing the buffalo in the park (i.e., are there times of the year when there are more of them together)?

Jul 03, 2014 at 12:42 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password