Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Is there anyway this is possible? (Zeiss lens INSIDE Nikon housing??)

thoang77
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is there anyway this is possible? (Zeiss lens INSIDE Nikon housing??)

So I was browsing eBay this past weekend for a 70-200 VR II and I stumble upon this auction

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111362193815?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

$575 for a 70-200 VR II...? Whats the catch? I scroll down and see

"Note:The lens has been modified by the previous owner!It looks like the Nikon Lens,but is in fact the Carl Zeiss lens.The Zeiss lens was planted in the Nikon lens body.That's to say,the lens body belongs to the Nikon,while the glasses are the Zeiss lens.It can be used on the Nikon SLR Digital Cameras directly!!"

My curiosity goes through the roof. I sit there pondering and looking through the pictures for a while and see nothing different. I decide to buy the auction, since I'd be protected by eBay/Paypal, but only to receive a message about an hour later from the seller saying they sold the lens in their store and couldn't remove the auction in time and its no longer available. I'm still upset about it.

I did ask if that was actually what was being sold, the zeiss inside the nikon, and the response I got was

"Yes, sometimes we will combine 2 lens in 1, means use good part of 2 broken lens to build 1 good lens.

We use zeiss lens put in Nikon body, and i had asked my colleague, he said the VR is ok, but autofocus might not work good."

Is there ANYWAY that this is possible

May 29, 2014 at 01:12 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is there anyway this is possible? (Zeiss lens INSIDE Nikon housing??)

Is it possible? Yeah, sure, why not. Is it likely? No, not really, especially considering that it doesn't look different.

It's not technically impossible. Just look at all the stills lenses rehoused into cine lenses. Something seems fishy though, because the glass and arrangement looks too similar to the normal lens, from what we can see at least.

It's also fishy considering the price, and the location. But beyond the doubt about what is really inside, why would one pay for a Zeiss lens in a Nikon housing done by a non-professional who is likely to leave lots of issues (lack of or poor AF) and imperfections (decentered elements).

What do you gain from this vs getting a regular zeiss lens? I realize Zeiss doesn't make a 70-200 for the F mount (aside from the cine version converted from PL to F), but there is the 80-200/4 you could get a Nikon mount adapter for.

May 29, 2014 at 01:39 AM
loudtiger
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is there anyway this is possible? (Zeiss lens INSIDE Nikon housing??)

Wow, it ended at $575? Seems fishy...

May 29, 2014 at 09:17 AM
thoang77
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is there anyway this is possible? (Zeiss lens INSIDE Nikon housing??)

loudtiger wrote:
Wow, it ended at $575? Seems fishy...

It was a buy it now auction. Everything else they sell is respectably priced and they have great feedback. I wish I could have gotten it still

May 29, 2014 at 09:59 PM
low325
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is there anyway this is possible? (Zeiss lens INSIDE Nikon housing??)

its using the 70-200 f2.8 thermos as the shell...jk.

May 29, 2014 at 10:18 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is there anyway this is possible? (Zeiss lens INSIDE Nikon housing??)

JakeB17 wrote:
Is it possible? Yeah, sure, why not. Is it likely? No, not really, especially considering that it doesn't look different.

It's not technically impossible. Just look at all the stills lenses rehoused into cine lenses.

When still lenses are rehoused for cine use it is usually only the outer barrel and the aperture ring modified, never the internal optics. Very few can or will do this. Optex in the UK used to completely rehouse lenses as well as adding a new aperture ring recalibrated in t stops but they closed shop 15 years ago. The inner elements on the lenses were always left untouched. This ebay lens sounds like some frankenlens from China. Probably make a good doorstop. Duclos in LA is the shop for this work these days, you could check with them if its possible but I'll bet you a pint it ain't.

Phil

May 29, 2014 at 10:45 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is there anyway this is possible? (Zeiss lens INSIDE Nikon housing??)

philshoots wrote:
When still lenses are rehoused for cine use it is usually only the outer barrel and the aperture ring modified, never the internal optics.

Usually is the key word here. There are some where the internal elements are modified. Not common by any means, but it happens.

For example, see the Nikon 200 F2 modified by century for reversed focus throw, or the Sigma 18-35 modified by GL optics to add about 200 degrees to the focus throw.

Or practically half of the so called RED "pro" lenses. And even some stuff done by Canon and Zeiss, but in house.

Duclos is indeed the go to for most mods, but they don't really like to do anything crazy.

Also, for what it's worth, saying it's impossible sort of a black and white stance on the subject. We never assumed the frankenlens actually works. Any idiot with a screw driver can take apart a lens and have it be practically useless afterwords.

May 29, 2014 at 10:54 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is there anyway this is possible? (Zeiss lens INSIDE Nikon housing??)

Yup, I hear ya, I'll have a pint of IPA.

FYI you might find this a good read related to lens mods for cine.

http://www.company7.com/library/nikon/Nikon_0300f2.html

I especially like the line "Before we contacted them for input on this article, Nikon USA did not seem to have any clue that these lenses ever existed. " The article was penned in 2011 - great to see Nikon USA had its finger on the pulse!

An Optex chop/mod:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1287979/0#12309755

Cheers
Phil

May 29, 2014 at 11:15 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.