New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Infrared photography

the solitaire
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Infrared photography

Yeah, nice list too. The 14-24 works fine for IR. I also use some older MF lenses like the 24mm f2,8 Nikkor - N.C Auto and 28mm f2 Nikkor - N.C Auto. With the alien look of those IR images I tend to stick with fairly wide lenses.

May 30, 2014 at 06:07 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Infrared photography

Thanks for all the advice.
I ordered a Heliopan RG 715 filter and a PDF-workbook. I will do some experiments at home before I'll go to Iceland.

If it's too difficult with my D800E I can always use the D700 which probably has a weaker IR blocking filter.

May 31, 2014 at 05:25 AM
stevephotog1

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Infrared photography

inspired to convert my D300

May 31, 2014 at 05:39 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Infrared photography

stevephotog1 wrote:
inspired to convert my D300

Do it.

May 31, 2014 at 10:52 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Infrared photography

Chris Dees wrote:
Thanks for all the advice.
I ordered a Heliopan RG 715 filter and a PDF-workbook. I will do some experiments at home before I'll go to Iceland.

If it's too difficult with my D800E I can always use the D700 which probably has a weaker IR blocking filter.

I don't think you will find much if any difference between a D700 and D800. I used a D70 with a 720 IR filter and got decent shots using a tripod. I tried the filter on a D80, and my exposure times became impossible because they were so long and I got strange colors from amp glow. IIRCC, the D80 required a couple of minutes in full daylight. I'm sure a D700 or D800 would be worse. Good luck.

May 31, 2014 at 11:41 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Infrared photography

Perhaps an IR converted J1 is a possibility. They are dirt cheap at the moment, about 2-3x the price of an IR filter.

Jun 01, 2014 at 09:09 AM
georgms
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Infrared photography

Chris Dees wrote:
Perhaps an IR converted J1 is a possibility. They are dirt cheap at the moment, about 2-3x the price of an IR filter.

Did this a few minutes ago after reading your post about the J1 - I wouldn't rule out the DSLR's so fast.
Just a quick and dirty check of my old D700 (shutter click # 283.615 ;-) with the Hoya R72 (my Heliopan R715 won't fit my Nikkor's without a stepping-ring).

quick and very dirty IR-Testshot von georgsfoto auf Flickr

just a quick snap: Hoya R72 on a Ais-Nikkor 24/2.8 on a Nikon D700 (set to "B&W with red-filter", contrast all the way up, WB "sunny", ISO 1000, f/4, 1/1.3sec, camera pressed into the grass - no tripod used for this quick check

Live-View worked quite well for framing and focusing too (with filter on the lens).

Here's a second test-shot from this afternoon, this time converted from a NEF:

IR-Testshot von georgsfoto auf Flickr
D700 at ISO 1600, Ais-Nikkor 24/2.8 at f/4, Hoya R72-IR-filter, 1/3sec, WB set to "sunny"
This one is from a NEF and not really sharp (focus is a bit off and camera-shake is evident too - pressed the camera against a wall - not tripod used for this quick check).

I'm sure a modified FX-Nikon or one of the new full-frame Sony's is the way to go for serious and every-day-IR-photography, but playing with filters on un-modifies Nikon's can be fun too.

Jun 01, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Infrared photography

Just got myself an IR converted V1 from the Buy&Sell Board, thanks Andrew
Now fingers crossed if it arrives on time!

Jun 03, 2014 at 02:15 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Infrared photography

You'll probably like it, Chris. Although I have no experience with the 1 series, I assume that the noise levels aren't on par with a digicam. That should mean that you'll be able to use ISO's that allow for higher shutter speeds and hand held operation, along with freezing many moving subjects.

You'll want to investigate the lenses to see which ones perform well with IR and don't give you hotspots. Poor IR lenses put a big, bright circle in the middle of the frame.

Hope it gets to you in time and that you really enjoy using it on your holiday.

Kerry

Jun 03, 2014 at 03:37 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Infrared photography

Kerry Pierce wrote:
You'll probably like it, Chris. Although I have no experience with the 1 series, I assume that the noise levels aren't on par with a digicam. That should mean that you'll be able to use ISO's that allow for higher shutter speeds and hand held operation, along with freezing many moving subjects.

You'll want to investigate the lenses to see which ones perform well with IR and don't give you hotspots. Poor IR lenses put a big, bright circle in the middle of the frame.

Hope it gets to you in time and that you really enjoy using it on
...Show more

Thanks, I'm sure I'll enjoy. If only the weather will be reasonable. They say you can have 4 seasons in an hour.

High ISO on the series-1is still no where near DSRL's, but in good light they are nice cams with lightning fast AF with CX lenses. The 6.7-13mm is a real gem. And they all weigh near to nothing.
This weekend I'm going to try out my 500VR (+ TC's) with the V2. I'll probably post some images in the Nikon 1 thread.

Jun 03, 2014 at 03:55 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Infrared photography

500Vr plus TC's on a V2 has to equal about half a kilometer!

Jun 03, 2014 at 04:17 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Infrared photography

runamuck wrote:
500Vr plus TC's on a V2 has to equal about half a kilometer!

With birding you never have enough reach.

Jun 04, 2014 at 03:37 PM
bellyface
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Infrared photography

my last nikon body with full time IR was a D5000. The live view really was the most satisfying part to getting perfect IR focus. I created a custom camera profile so i could accurately assign the right color balance to the raws in lightroom/acr.

Welcome Friends by bellyface, on Flickr

Blanco, TX by bellyface, on Flickr

Jun 07, 2014 at 09:51 AM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Infrared photography

My V1 IR just arrived and I made a quick testshot in the garden.
Just some minor tweaking in LR.

Jun 11, 2014 at 01:11 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.