New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Last night we had another shoot postponed due to rain. So I posted something on Facebook and found someone to come out and grab a few photos in the rain and nearby creek. Tried a few new things...

http://hofferphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Daria-Philadelphia-Model-Photographer-002.jpg

http://hofferphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Daria-Philadelphia-Model-Photographer-003.jpg

http://hofferphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Daria-Philadelphia-Model-Photographer-004.jpg

http://hofferphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Daria-Philadelphia-Model-Photographer-005.jpg

May 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM
friscoron
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Pretty gorgeous art here, Tony! Everyone one of these shots just look like art to me. Great job, love it!

May 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM
tonyfield
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Fine series ... in particular, #2 really evokes some nice feelings.

May 28, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Steady Hand
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Hello,

Everything I write here on FM is intended to help. Everything I write is in a truly friendly spirit and tone of voice.

Unfortunately, you can't hear my voice on this forum, and written comments can be easily misunderstood for tone and intent. That is why I prefer to speak with people on a phone call when giving them advice and giving critical opinions (critique) of their images. Otherwise, what is intended to help someone can be taken wrongly, and that defeats the purpose of the communication. And, because I want to avoid flaming and trolls, I tend to refrain from writing some things here that could be instrumental in helping someone improve, but may be taken out of context or misused by others. So, I limit my written comments here...though I am sure some will disagree on that last point.

What follows is written with respect for your skill as a photographer.

But what I write is also balanced and honest (similar critique for all photos shown here).

At first glance I enjoyed seeing the photos. So, take that as a positive.

She is pretty, and I like water.

But, looking for longer than one second, a few things caught my more critical eye:

1. Image One. Intense and artificial blue in water. It draws attention to the water/blue...and generally gives a "fake stuff used here" feeling to image. Either that or she is in effluent from an ink factory.

2. Image Two. Her right arm (image left) looks odd, almost like it was "liquefied" or reconstructed in post. This may be an illusion, but it looks that way to me. In addition, the skin looks Orange in several places (chest, face).

3. Image Three. The color temp of her skin just looks too artificial for scene and the backlit hair (behind her head) looks out of place (or flashed). (Too warm). In fact, this image appears to be a composite, due to the light outline of the body and hair etc.

4. Image Four. The circles in image foreground do not make me think "water or raindrops" but instead: "website background applied as layer to photo" or "texture used here." The face on this image looks SMOOTH while the rest of the body is "wet and dripping."

I hope these comments help you.

May 28, 2014 at 01:07 PM
Prettym1k3
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Daria (Test Shoot)

WTF man. This is really, really good. Especially #4.

Love the t/s in #3 as well.

May 28, 2014 at 01:32 PM
Medowlark
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Sorry, I agree with Steady....

May 28, 2014 at 01:54 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Steady Hand wrote:
1. Image One. Intense and artificial blue in water. It draws attention to the water/blue...and generally gives a "fake stuff used here" feeling to image. Either that or she is in effluent from an ink factory.

2. Image Two. Her right arm (image left) looks odd, almost like it was "liquefied" or reconstructed in post. This may be an illusion, but it looks that way to me. In addition, the skin looks Orange in several places (chest, face).

3. Image Three. The color temp of her skin just looks too artificial for scene and the backlit hair (behind her
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback... I don't mean to disagree (I hate when people do that), but wanted to clear a few things up...

1. No fake coloring here. Just flash mixed in after dusk.
2. Yup, I should clean that up a bit.
3. No fake coloring here either. Same as #1.
4. No textures or backgrounds used here either. Just a bunch of hands throwing water.

Sounds like we may just have differences in the artistic purpose of these... and that's ok. But I just wanted to clear it up since there seemed to be some incorrect assumptions there.

May 28, 2014 at 02:26 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Great set

May 28, 2014 at 02:49 PM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Goodness how I love this forum.

May 28, 2014 at 02:58 PM
gregfixit
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Daria (Test Shoot)

friscoron wrote:
Pretty gorgeous art here, Tony! Everyone one of these shots just look like art to me. Great job, love it!

+1

Just trying to imagine how you created these will make me a better photographer.
Gets my vote for featured thread!

May 28, 2014 at 03:12 PM
paul31003
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Killer set. Love #3.

Not a huge fan of #1 but it's interesting to learn that the final product is a mere flash effect and not post work.

May 28, 2014 at 11:24 PM
BigIronCruiser
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Daria (Test Shoot)

A creek in your area at this time of year has to be pretty cold. Maybe that's why the fingers on her left hand (#1) look somewhat blue

May 28, 2014 at 11:51 PM
qwyjibo
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Always good and often very original. 4 is my favorite but all are very well done. I'm a little confused by the water in 1 looking like a much longer exposure than I would have guessed. Thanks for sharing.

May 29, 2014 at 12:54 AM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Daria (Test Shoot)

I dig them. Really dig the first one the most.

May 29, 2014 at 02:34 AM
YonathanZ
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Daria (Test Shoot)

I love each of your 4 shots. The colors are just stunning, and so is the composition.

May 29, 2014 at 02:35 AM
swordfishphoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Daria (Test Shoot)

All really solid images. Four is by far my favorite. Really curious to know how it was done.

First one her head is a bit too submerged and there is a shadow and because of the light refraction it looks like it's just a face and not a whole head.

May 29, 2014 at 07:43 AM
Scot S.

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Daria (Test Shoot)

Wow! I love all these, especially 3 and 4! Actually can't stop looking at 3... the setting, the lighting (she pops), and scheimpflug effect; neat!

May 29, 2014 at 11:46 AM
maico
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Daria (Test Shoot)

nice very nice

May 29, 2014 at 02:21 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.