New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

rthompson10

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

Hello,

Long story short- Upgraded from a Canon 30D to a Canon 70D after major analysis paralysis. Wanted the 17-55 2.8 lens to go with it- the camera shop where I bought was out of stock so got the Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC- brain lock after hurting myself thinking about the camera choice?. Now I'm not so sure and was thinking to return for something else given not so keen opinions on the lens

So thoughts? Keep what I have, get a 17-40 F4 or the 17-55 2.8. I realize the 17-55 is only for the crop sensor- In my dreams will have a FF eventually.

Wanted to get better glass as I still have the 30D with the kit 18-55 lens

Thanks!
RT

May 28, 2014 at 08:31 AM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

My vote, 17-55 f/2.8, and buy online next time.

[Edit] - Wanted to add more to this so I don't come off sounding snide. I like to buy online for several reasons:

(1) better price
(2) better selection
(3) easy returns
(4) one major reason is that when I go into a camera store, I get distracted by all the other possibilities. For some reason I am able to 'stay focused' with online purchases. I personally have made some in store "Tamron" like purchases because of this.

We all have different philosophies regarding online buying vs brick and mortar, but I find some real advantages to online purchasing. YMMV.

Edited on May 28, 2014 at 03:08 PM · View previous versions

May 28, 2014 at 08:46 AM
rebelshooter
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

I had a Tamron 17-50 2.8 non VC that was used on both a 30D and a 7D and I was quite pleased with it. Did not ever use the VC version.
Have you used the Tamron yet? Is there something other than reviews for you to go one? I use reviews to make my buying decisions but if I had the glass in hand I would try it out and see how it worked for you.

Edited on May 28, 2014 at 08:51 AM · View previous versions

May 28, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Mdovalina

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

I use to own the Tamron 17-50 with my Nikon D90. I'd keep it and get use out of it. The Canon is twice the cost and the results most likely won't be discernible.

May 28, 2014 at 08:51 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

The Tamron was better in the original non-VC version, some say as good as the Canon.
I have the 17-55 F2.8 and it's one of the best lenses for a crop DSLR.
If you don't plan on moving up to full frame in the next six months, I would worry about getting EFS lenses. You can sell your gear later. Maybe buy used if you don't want to take a hit when you make the move.

Don't let anyone else be the determining factor in your buying decisions. Try the equipment you have and make your own decision whether the gear is working for you. If you can't tell the difference than it doesn't matter what anyone else says.

May 28, 2014 at 08:55 AM
Steve Torelli
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

Spend a lot less time agonizing over a camera body that's going to be replaced in a couple of years anyway, and give more thought to your lens choices. And, as was pointed out, buying a stop-gap lens because the local guy didn't have what you came for is a mistake when you can get what you want on-line anytime.
I don't shoot Canon anymore but when I did, I had both the lenses you mention. 17-40 on FF and the 17-55 on sub-frame. Both were fine lenses in their respective formats. If your intention is to go FF in the future, then your choice should be obvious. Good luck.

May 28, 2014 at 08:59 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

I did not care for the Tamron 17-50/2.8 non-VC. It was slower to focus and missed focus a fair number of times on D7000 compared to the Nikon 18-105 VR lens.

My favorite all-around zoom on the 60D is the 15-85 IS -- wider, longer, faster and more accurate AF.

17-40L is a decent FF wide angle starter lens. It wouldn't be my top choice for an all-around crop sensor lens. I think I'd be more tempted by the 18-135 IS STM (for more video) or older 18-200 IS, if not the 15-85 IS.

May 28, 2014 at 09:16 AM
rthompson10

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

All,

THanks for the input. The Tamron lens was the VC version so its not the non VC supposedly sharper version. "Only" a third less than the Canon version so pricing not so much of an issue. I have been trying it the last few days- need to upload shots to PC to really see them

RT

May 28, 2014 at 09:18 AM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

The 17-55 can be had on the used market for between 600 and 650. It's absolutely worth it for that price - especially if it comes with the lens hood (not included new). That being said, I doubt you'll see much if any difference in the IQ between the Tamron you have and the Canon. It's there - especially at 2.8...but not drastically so.

If you're already dreaming about moving on to full frame, just return the 70D and get a 6D. It's a better camera in every way save for video focusing with STM lenses. Otherwise plan on hanging on to the 70D for a while and get a lens to match it.

May 28, 2014 at 09:25 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

I had the 17-55 and it was by far the best lens I had used on my 7D .
my migration to FF had me sell it which was a dam shame . My 24-105 on my 5D3 is good but the 17-55 was soo much better

there are a handful of EFs lenses that are simply brilliant , and as far as im concerned the 17-55 sits at the top of that tree

May 28, 2014 at 12:11 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

by the way , that migration to FF didnt cost me much as far as the 17-55 goes .
I sold it for £50 less than I bought it for . I consider that a great price for a years use .

Buy right , and buy for now not what you may do in the future

May 28, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

Shot with a 17-55 2.8 for 7 years and loved it: sharp, fast to focus and having F2.8 was great. However it's a beast compared to the Tamron so you may not jive with the additional bulk (or double cost). I've not owned the Tamron but played with it and AF seemed slow in comparison to the Canon. Also, the FTM feature of the Canon is very cool if you like to prefocus or override AF without flipping a switch. I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall the Tammy's MF ring spinning during AF.

May 28, 2014 at 12:37 PM
timbop
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

Get the 17-55. Imho there is no better standard zoom for a crop slr

rthompson10 wrote:
All,

THanks for the input. The Tamron lens was the VC version so its not the non VC supposedly sharper version. "Only" a third less than the Canon version so pricing not so much of an issue. I have been trying it the last few days- need to upload shots to PC to really see them

RT

May 28, 2014 at 02:18 PM
matthew.lumpp

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

I agree with the canon votes. I tried other third party alternatives and ended up selling to buy the canon. It was great until I moved up to full frame. Now im selling my copy with a canon hood. PM if interested.

Matt

May 28, 2014 at 03:06 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

timbop wrote:
Get the 17-55. Imho there is no better standard zoom for a crop slr

There seems to be a consensus among those who tried the new Sigma 18-35 f1.8 that it is now the reigning champ among standard zooms for crop DSLRs.
But the Canon is next best and gives you more zoom range and has IS.

May 28, 2014 at 03:14 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

The 17-55 is awesome on crop, don't worry about ff compatibility until you have a ff body.

The sigma might be better optically but less range and no is, the canon is plenty adaquate.

May 28, 2014 at 03:26 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

rthompson10 wrote:
Now I'm not so sure and was thinking to return for something else given not so keen opinions on the lens

Do you want a lens to take photos or for saying you got what the reviews say is good? You have the lens, try it out, if it works well and you are happy with the results then what is the problem?

Personally I like Tamron lenses, I've had the 28-75, 17-50nonVC and 90 macro at one time or the other and they were all excellent lenses. I'm probably getting a 90VC this year.

May 28, 2014 at 04:59 PM
jseliger

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

Without knowing what you shoot or seeing your portfolio, this thread is useless.

May 28, 2014 at 05:10 PM
Access
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

In the roughly 5 years I was using a rebel, the canon 17-55 f/2.8 was my general purpose lens. And it did that job really well, no complaints. I know it's not formally a 'L' lens but I felt like it was close to 'L' quality for a zoom.

May 28, 2014 at 05:31 PM
RogerC11
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Buyers remorse- Canon starter lens

I'll throw in a wrench here and say go for the Sigma 18-35 1.8.

May 28, 2014 at 05:36 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.