Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Mark_L
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
Budget Beauty Dish on Profoto.

You've spend the money to buy the best lighting and the modifiers are just as important. Get the Mola Demi It a $150 more than the Chinese pieces of tin. It will last you a lifetime and produces wonderful light.

This is a copy of mola so close that they sued. There is nothing inherently magic about mola dishes themselves anyway.

Mar 12, 2015 at 06:29 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Yes Mark it is a knock off of the Demi but it's also plastic and won't have the same interior finish. That's perfect for a speedlight. Although it wouldn't be a problem for the B1 or B2, or Qudra, you wouldn't want to use a plastic dish with a strobe with a high wattage modeling lamp (unless Kacey guarantees it), especially with a grid. So if you plan to use your dish with a regular strobe you should at least get a cheap metal one.

With Mola you get their unique design (why others knock them off) and shape as well as their perforated diffuser (PAD) and Opal Glass. Plus tried and true performance. You won't be able to blame the dish for bad light. The regular cheap, Chinese dishes are nothing more than metal bowls, much easier and cheaper to produce then the shape in metal of Mola. If you can't see a difference in output and build quality then I guess it doesn't matter anyway. I just feel like if you've invested in Profoto I would want the best modifiers to put on it. Putting a plain white bowl on it is kind of like putting 70 series tires on a Ferrari, or an old Vivitar lens on a Nikon D810.

Mar 13, 2015 at 02:58 AM
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password