Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

"Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

cambyses
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Having just spent some serious $$ on a Profoto B1 Kit plus a couple of other items, I really cannot afford dumping yet another $600-$700 on a Profoto or Mola Demi Beauty Dish kit at this point. And yet I do like to get a BD. So I have been searching for some "budget" BD kits, and here are what I have across so far:

1) Fotodiox: http://amzn.com/B0048WIZA8, $134 (including shipping). The two main issues I saw in a couple of reviews I found on this one were: a) the mount does not fit well on Profoto heads and is loose, and b) the locking metal clamp on the mount can break very easily.

2) Impact: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/912759-REG/impact_impact_20_beauty_dish.html, $208 ($158 for BD plus another $50 for the Profoto adapter ring). The 22" kit is $245+$50. Again, based on a couple of reviews, the adapter for Profoto apparently is not well made and does not fit very well.

3) No-name eBay: http://r.ebay.com/AXeIFg, $140. Not sure what to make of this one.

So does anyone here have any experience with any of these beauty dishes? Or do you know of any other decent budget BD for Profoto?

Thanks...

May 28, 2014 at 06:24 AM
jamesmorophoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

I have the 28 fotodiox with a balcar mount. dropped it several times. bent back into place. continued shooting.

it's an awesome beauty dish.

May 28, 2014 at 07:41 AM
cambyses
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Thanks James. The only gear I have from Fotodiox is their Wonderpana 66 filter holder kit plus a couple of their 145mm filters for Nikon 14-24. And I am actually pretty happy with it. It is expensive but very well built, IMO.

As for beauty dish, the price is obviously very good but my only concern is on the two negative points I mentioned on the fit and fragility of their Profoto mount. Would love to hear if anyone has used their BD on Profotos...

May 28, 2014 at 07:50 AM
cambyses
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

BTW, I also found about Speedotron BD kit at $300 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150390-REG/Speedotron_14241_Beauty_Dish_Grid_Reflector.html) and Paul Buff BD's. But I am not sure if/how they can be used with Profotos.

May 28, 2014 at 07:54 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

I have a kasey dish in profoto mount. Close enough to a mola demi for them to sue and plastic so it travels well with no worries with it getting knocked around.

Check grid availability too (also third party like honeygrids). The Kasey grid is very poor, the profoto grid is brilliant.

May 28, 2014 at 12:08 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

I got the Demi used here with the grid, case and cap and if I were you I would try to find a used one, really great dish. The Fotodiox looks like a great value and it's not a no-name brand so maybe go with that until you can afford a better dish (or be satisfied with it)?

May 28, 2014 at 02:00 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Can't say enough good things about the Kasey. Gorgeous light, beautiful feather to the edge, incredibly robust build, good support...

May 28, 2014 at 02:10 PM
Albino_BlacMan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

I have the fotodiox Beauty Dish (BD) (with Balcar mount).

The mount sucked (didn't sit firmly in place) so I bought another adapter thing (I think it was an impact one like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838100-REG/Impact_bda_ali_Beauty_Dish_Adapt_For.html) which works much better.

So you can swap mounts on beauty dishes at least between the Impact ones and Fotodiox ones. If you find a good profoto adapter than a cheap BD might be an option.

May 28, 2014 at 02:49 PM
cambyses
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Thanks guys....

Does anyone know if the original Profoto speedring (say, this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/900688-REG/Profoto_100501_Speed_Ring_Adapter.html) would fit a Fotodiox Beauty Dish? (Obviously, I mean after unscrewing and detaching the outer black ring part and using only the mount plate).

The huge 28" Fotodiox dish is only $170 (grid and nylon diffuser included). And the only complaints I have read seem to be on its Profoto mount. So I am thinking if I can fit an original Profoto speedring, I will get a perfect mount and will still be saving a lot of money over buying a Profoto or Demi BD kit.

Thanks...

May 29, 2014 at 05:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jamesmorophoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

it won't fit. fotodiox makes the mount slightly wider than normal. so you need their proprietary mounts. I'd give it a shot. they're constantly updating their product. so maybe you read an old review. I've read the ones about the balcar mounts, and it's bs. check out my thread on the wedding page. most of those photos were taken with the fotodiox 28 bd, particulars the last shot.

May 30, 2014 at 06:22 AM
cambyses
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Thanks James. Will look further into that.

May 30, 2014 at 04:11 PM
leethecam
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

B1 or D1 Profoto heads don't work very well with beauty dishes... I know - I have them...

However, invest in a frosted dome AND the opaque centre disk for the dish (I use the Profoto dish), and then you are very close to how it should work. Indeed, it has a very useful sweet spot at just the right distance.

Alas, just a BD (of any type) is not likely to work with these type of heads because of the internal reflections the D1 / B1 doesn't offer and because of the width of the main beam which can miss the edges of the centre disc , so it's may cost you more than you'd hoped anyway.

I'm very happy with my "modified" D1 / dish combo. It's not quite as smooth as a pro head with standard dish, but the slight doughnut lighting effect actually helps in some respect to modeling on the face.

May 31, 2014 at 06:33 PM
junk_bond
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Like others have said, the fotodiox mount sucks. The clamp bracket broke on mine and the fit is really loose on the light.

May 31, 2014 at 10:46 PM
cambyses
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Thanks. Yes, I had read a bit about that. Haven't tried it myself yet, though I think Profoto maintains that the improvement gained by using a dome with hard reflectors should not be significant. This is a response by the Profoto blog author to one of the comments:

"We´ve designed the flat front with our light shaping tools in mind so with most Light shaping tools it makes very little difference if the dome or the flat glass plate is used. In theory the dome provides a slight edge in light control with the hard reflectors but the practical difference is slight and it is more of a personal preference.

/Fredrik Franzén, Profoto"

Copied from the comments here: http://www.profoto.com/blog/off-camera-flash/camera-flash-faq/

May 31, 2014 at 10:50 PM
adamdewilde
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

There's a company that ripped off the Mola design, don't remember the name, but the guy should still be selling the dish, it did a really good job, and was reasonably priced. Sure you can find it with a google search, it was also talked about on here before, a lot a few years back..

I have a Mola (several) a friend has the "knockoff" and honestly, it's a nice modifier.

Jun 01, 2014 at 04:34 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Do you need to own it right now? In the Orange County area, you can definitely rent nearby at reasonable rates. Renting would also give you the opportunity to try a couple models and see what you prefer and ultimately would like to buy.

Jun 01, 2014 at 07:14 PM
likwidplastik

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · "Budget" Beauty Dish for Profoto?

Another vote for the Kacey dish here. I have been using one for years and love it.

Jun 03, 2014 at 04:33 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password