New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · C Stands, Reflector and stand Suggestions

mendo
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · C Stands, Reflector and stand Suggestions

I am going to purchase some equipment and am looking for suggestions…

For C stands should I get Mathews, Kupo or some other brand? What size for all around use? I would like to get at least one with an arm. I am going to eventually graduate to strobes so I would like to buy something now that I can use with Profoto or something similar in the future. For now I will be using them along with a Lastolite Skylight rapid.

I will not have the luxury of an assistant so I am also looking to get a reflector and a stand and need suggestions for this as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

May 27, 2014 at 09:03 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · C Stands, Reflector and stand Suggestions

mendo wrote:

For C stands should I get Mathews, Kupo or some other brand? What size for all around use?

Matthews c-stands are okay, but Kupo makes terrible stands.

American grip makes the best C-stands, hands down. Yes, there really is a difference, they just work. They don't get stuck or randomly come loose like almost every other brand.

There is a reason they are used almost exclusively here in Hollywood on every level of film production.

You want these two parts...

http://www.filmandvideolighting.com/am40cegrst2r.html
&
http://www.filmandvideolighting.com/amgrheand40g.html

May 27, 2014 at 09:51 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · C Stands, Reflector and stand Suggestions

mendo wrote:

You should elaborate on the items you wish to have aloft: lights, flags, scrims, etc. Most of my grip gear is Matthews, and it's built to last forever. Compared to everything else photographic, quality grip gear is very affordable. Also nice is when it doesn't fall over and hurt the talent, customers, and family.

I don't own any centuries, preferring to cover the range with small stands like the Reverse (Manfrotto Nano), the Hollywood Beefy Baby, and the larger rollers. With its steel pin, Beefy Baby can take a grip head and small light with ease. Be aware that C-stands are really designed to hold modifiers on a grip arm, and do not have the footprint or weight capacity for big lights and booms.

In a studio, wheeled stands are the cat's meow if floor space permits. This is particular true for a boom: I can move an 80-lb rig with one finger.

May 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM
Micky Bill
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · C Stands, Reflector and stand Suggestions

Matthews are pretty much the standard stand, I have a bunch of them and some Arris for 20 years . Only thing that failed is the cork pad in the grip pad but it is designed to be replaced.
If stands are maintained (like anything) they last forever so maybe that's why most of the stages or rental places I have dealt with have Matthews. Because they bought 'em a long time ago.
I am not familiar with American but if they are "used almost exclusively in every level of film production" they must be good.
Kupo have some neat features but seem a little cheap and the added gee whiz feature is just one more thing to break. Hollywood Scene Dock and "Dougs" are a little rough but serviceable.
For most people any of the stands mentioned will be fine, if you are a Hollywood or Bollywood stage or rental house you'll have different needs.
But like Rico said they are not light stands.

May 28, 2014 at 12:21 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.