Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, good for landscapes?

jphendren
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, good for landscapes?

Hello,

I have been printing my landscape images on either Epson premium glossy photo paper, or Epson premium luster photo paper, and really like the results. The printer I am using is an Epson R1900, using genuine Epson Ultrachrome inks. I am tempted to try printing on Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, but want to get some opinions before I blow $60 on a pack of 13x19" paper. Art Wolfe has a video on Youtube singing its praises, but what do you guys think? Do nature/landscapes look nice on this paper?

Thanks,

Jared

May 27, 2014 at 04:31 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, good for landscapes?

this is a bit old at this point but worth reading........

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ericchan/dp/Epson3800/papers.html

VFA is a great paper. As noted, it does feel a little 'thin'

May 27, 2014 at 04:37 PM
jphendren
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, good for landscapes?

howardm4,

Thanks for the link, very informative!

Jared

May 27, 2014 at 04:42 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, good for landscapes?

You could also contact Epson, they might have a sample packet of their papers that they could send you or that you can purchase. I get my Epson supplies from Atlantic exchange or atlex.com I think the website is. You could probably check with them too for samples that you could try out.

May 27, 2014 at 04:56 PM
JAM11
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, good for landscapes?

I second the opinion that VFA is a great paper. I use it with the R1900 also and get quite a few complements on the paper.

May 27, 2014 at 05:14 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, good for landscapes?

It is a nice paper, but perhaps a little pricy for its weight. Although 260 gsm may be fine for 13" printing.

There are lots of nice velvet papers out there, there is no reason to stick with Epson branded paper. It is made by St Cuthbert's Mill in Somerset, England, as are many of the 'velvet' papers sold under various brand names.

A few sample packs could save you some money in the long run.

Of the non-St Cuthbert's papers, Beathing Color Elegance and Pura Velvet are worth a look. And BFK Rives (marketed by Canson-Infinity) is probably the highest quality velvet surface paper out there, but at a considerable price.

Brian A

Edited on May 28, 2014 at 12:09 PM · View previous versions

May 27, 2014 at 06:50 PM
jphendren
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, good for landscapes?

Thanks for the input, velvet paper sounds like something I'd like to try. Where is the best place to buy it?

Also, any recommendations on printing services that print using these types of papers? I'd like to have a print made larger than 12x18".

Jared

May 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, good for landscapes?

One thing to note with the velvet paper...it marks very easy. You have to be very careful handling this paper.

May 28, 2014 at 10:09 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Epson Velvet Fine Art paper, good for landscapes?

jphendren wrote:
Thanks for the input, velvet paper sounds like something I'd like to try. Where is the best place to buy it?

Paper prices seem to quite fixed. It is difficult to find anyone discounting paper unless there is a manufacturer's promotion going on. Shipping is often the only variable. Atlex/itSupplies (free shipping on orders over $99), Shades of Paper (standard $9 shipping), B&H, etc.

jphendren wrote:
Also, any recommendations on printing services that print using these types of papers? I'd like to have a print made larger than 12x18".

I would look local, Shipping flat can be expensive, and while rolls are fine, you have then to deal with uncurling the paper. Of course, larger prints are likely to printed from rolls anyhow, so there would be decurling at some stage.

Google terms like 'digital fine art printing', 'giclee' or 'giclée', and add your home town. If that doesn't give you any hits try extending the area to the nearest large city or even the state.

I'd offer, but VA to NV is a long way.

I'd recomend sample packs from Canson, Hahnemühle (matte fine art, they have different sample packs), Epson (Signature Worthy), and Breathing Color. I don't know if BC does sample packs, they do sample rolls. You want to find a paper you like to work with before spending a small fortune on large prints.

Epson Hot and Cold pressed papers are more substantial than Velvet Fine Art. Very stable over time even in the white (high OBA) versions. The cold pressed papers are rougher than velvet, the hot pressed papers are smother then velvet.

Brian A

May 28, 2014 at 12:08 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.