Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lost detail in B&W conversions?

binary visions
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lost detail in B&W conversions?

I don't do much black and white, but I had a shot of the Golden Gate Bridge that I thought would work.

What I'm finding is, after I do the conversion work and go to save it in CS6, a ton of detail in the shadow areas is just gone. I mean, I can see it in Photoshop, and it's not a limitation of the JPG format because a print-screen out of Photoshop, saved as JPG, displays the shadow detail.

These are the same files, one saved and one print-screened:

Saved as JPG out of Photoshop CS6:
http://photos.binaryvisions.com/upload/2014/05/27/20140527072554-155ec7b3.jpg

Print-screen out of CS6, saved as JPG in IrfanView:
http://photos.binaryvisions.com/upload/2014/05/27/20140527071541-fa392d4d.jpg

What's going on here?

May 27, 2014 at 06:23 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lost detail in B&W conversions?

What are you using to view/compare the two shots? For example, are you looking at your original edit in Photoshop vs. the saved Jpeg in a browser?

If you bring the saved Jpeg back into Photoshop, does it look the same as your final edit before saving?

May 27, 2014 at 06:47 AM
binary visions
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lost detail in B&W conversions?

The detail is gone no matter what I'm using - if I view both images in the browser (as above), the detail is missing in the first image. If I view both images in IrfanView, or in Photoshop... no matter what, it seems to wipe a bunch of what I can see in CS6 when I convert it to JPG.

May 27, 2014 at 07:58 AM
Eyeball
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lost detail in B&W conversions?

I can't be sure yet and I don't have much time right now but here is what I suspect:

I think the browser you are using is not color managed. If you could tell us what brand and version of browser you are using, that would help us verify that. Photoshop is using your custom monitor profile, you browser likely is not.

The reason that the screen print looks different is also probably due to color space issues. When you do a screen print of an image being displayed by Photoshop, that image is in the monitor's custom color space. When you save that out and bring it in to a viewer, it often times is assumed to be sRGB, which it isn't. This difference between the monitor profile/color space and the sRGB profile/color space can cause differences in color and tone, like you are seeing.

Besides telling us your browser brand and version, it might also help us if you could post a screen print of your Edit>Color Settings... inside Photoshop.

By the way, the first image you posted looks the best to me on my calibrated monitor using Firefox, which is color managed. The foreground is dark but there is visible detail. The dark foreground helps to highlight the bridge IMO.

May 27, 2014 at 08:50 AM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lost detail in B&W conversions?

Make sure your colorspace remains sRGB and not Dot Gain 20%. I've found that at least IE and Safari display the Dot Gain colorspace some 20% darker which could cause a loss of shadow detail when displaying. This may also apply to other browsers.

May 27, 2014 at 08:56 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lost detail in B&W conversions?

Eyeball has is right. If your screenshot is untagged, you need to Assign your monitor profile to the file, then Convert to sRGB in order to be viewing on a level playing field. Also, I've seen some of my own RGB black and white images that this site has converted on its own to Grayscale, but untagged Grayscale. Can only assume that it's a space saving ploy, but a pretty crappy one at that.

May 27, 2014 at 09:01 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.